Exploring the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics for Returning Scientists

• Thread starter stuartmacg
  • Start date
In summary, "Exploring the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics: A Guide for Returning Scientists" is a comprehensive guide that delves into the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and its applications in modern science. It provides a thorough overview of key concepts such as superposition, entanglement, and wave-particle duality, as well as exploring the historical development of quantum theory. The book is geared towards scientists who may have been away from the field for some time, making it a valuable resource for those looking to refresh their understanding of this complex subject. With clear explanations and examples, this guide offers a solid foundation for further exploration into the fascinating world of quantum mechanics.
stuartmacg
How did you find PF?
google search for QM books etc.
I have now retired (thanks covid) from signal processing work, and would like to get a clear understanding of QM.
My undergraduate physics of 50 years ago is a bit hazy now, but my maths is comprehensive and well honed :-).
I enjoyed the wikipedia article on Bell's theorem, but I have forgotten the Dirac notation, so some bits not accessible.
My classical mechanics and statistical mechanics are likewise a bit foggy.
Any pointers to on-line courses or books to repair my familiarity quickly?
I would like to be able to see clearly how the theories and interpretations are justified by experiment.

Thanks

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
stuartmacg said:
I would like to be able to see clearly how the theories and interpretations are justified by experiment.
Welcome to the forum.

Just as a note, interpretations are NOT "justified by experiment" because any experiment gives the same result regardless of which interpretation you think is right. If they didn't, then the "interpretation" wouldn't be an interpretation any longer, it would be a theory (or perhaps it would become THE theory).