Exploring the Depths of Algebra: Artin's Book vs. Dummit and Foote

• Thread starter Maths Lover
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the debate between the superiority of Artin's book and Dummit and Foote's book for learning abstract algebra. Some people believe that Artin's book is easier and more interesting, while others think Dummit and Foote's book is better. One person shares that they have studied from Dummit and Foote and Introduction to Group Theory by W. Ledermann, but finds Dummit and Foote to be good. Another person believes that Artin's book is vastly superior, with its beauty and inclusion of cool nonstandard topics. They also mention that after reading Artin's book, one might want to read another book to fill in any gaps, but overall, it provides a good overview of algebra
Maths Lover
Artin Vs Dummit ?!

hi every one ,
I read some comments to some students , some of them see that learning abstract algebra from artin book is more easier than dummit one and more interesting ! and some say that dummit's book is better than artin's one ,

so what is your opinion about what book is better ? and why ?

for me , I study the subject from dummit and foote , and I also study from : introduction to group theory by w.ledermann

I find dummit is quite good .

so I hope that all of you share me and the other members your opinons and why ?!

bye :)

Maths Lover

Physics news on Phys.org

I find Artin vastly superior to Dummit and Foote. Sure, Dummit and Foote has more material. But Artin's book has more beauty and cool nonstandard topics. After you read Artin, you might want to read another book to fill in your gaps, but you will also have a very good overview and feel of algebra.

It doesn't always say something, but Artin is also one of the most famous mathematicians there are.

micromass said:
I find Artin vastly superior to Dummit and Foote. Sure, Dummit and Foote has more material. But Artin's book has more beauty and cool nonstandard topics. After you read Artin, you might want to read another book to fill in your gaps, but you will also have a very good overview and feel of algebra.

It doesn't always say something, but Artin is also one of the most famous mathematicians there are.

what is the gaps which i have to fill it after studying artin's book ?

Related to Exploring the Depths of Algebra: Artin's Book vs. Dummit and Foote

1. What is "Artin Vs Dummit"?

"Artin Vs Dummit" is a comparison between two well-known mathematicians and their contributions to the field of abstract algebra. Emil Artin and David Dummit are both known for their work in this area, and their textbooks are often compared and used in undergraduate courses.

2. What are the main differences between the textbooks of Artin and Dummit?

The main differences between the textbooks of Artin and Dummit lie in their approach and level of difficulty. Artin's "Algebra" is more conceptual and focuses on building a strong foundation in abstract algebra, while Dummit and Foote's "Abstract Algebra" is more comprehensive and covers a wider range of topics.

3. Which textbook is better for self-study?

This ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and goals. Artin's "Algebra" may be better for those who prefer a more conceptual approach and want to develop a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts, while Dummit and Foote's "Abstract Algebra" may be better for those looking for a more thorough and rigorous treatment of the subject.

4. Which textbook is more suitable for beginners?

Both textbooks can be used by beginners, but Artin's "Algebra" may be more suitable for those with little to no prior experience in abstract algebra. It provides a gentle introduction to the subject and focuses on developing intuition and understanding, whereas Dummit and Foote's "Abstract Algebra" assumes some familiarity with mathematical concepts and dives into more advanced topics quickly.

5. Can I use both textbooks together?

Yes, it is possible to use both textbooks together. In fact, many instructors use a combination of Artin and Dummit and Foote's textbooks in their courses. Each textbook has its own strengths and using them together can provide a more well-rounded understanding of abstract algebra.