Dummit and Foote vs Lang: Choosing the Best Abstract Algebra Book

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Lang and Dummit and Foote's books on abstract algebra. Lang's graduate version is considered more difficult and geared towards future mathematicians, while Dummit and Foote's book is more basic and suitable for beginning graduate students. Hungerford's book is also mentioned as a good supplement to Lang, providing helpful examples. It is suggested to try solving theorems before looking at the proofs, as this is a good practice for learning mathematics.
SrVishi
Hi, I'm going to start learning Abstract Algebra, and I was wondering which book, either Lang (his graduate version) or Dummit and Foote, is better. I'm totally okay with terseness to any degree so that isn't an issue for me. Now, I know that Lang is a hardcore graduate book (at least according to what I heard), but I can take my time with it and probably look up whatever I don't understand online. So, which of the two would be "better?" Which covers more material? Are there any books that you feel are better or covers more material then these two? Thanks in advance for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Have a look at this thread, Mathwonk has given a very similar looking answer.

mathwonk said:
So Hungerford is more of a textbook for basic stuff and Lang more of a baby research reference. One tries to address the beginning grad student on his level, and the other tries to raise that level to nearer what it needs to be.
Trying to give the proofs of any theorem without reading the proof first, is a habit every student should acquire, in every book, and even every paper. That's how you learn to be a mathematician as opposed to remaining a student. So Lang is teaching you as if you want to become a mathematician, and Hungerford is teaching you as if you are a beginning student.
I would put DF noticeably below Hungerford in sophistication and depth. I.e. what used to be considered a basic book for average grad students, namely Hungerford, has now become considered a more difficult book, replaced for average students by DF. Lang on the other hand is almost never considered as a text anymore, as if it were some otherworldly and unrealistic book. I think, recalling using them both now, that one needs both Lang and Hungerford. Lang has the right point of view, and the right topics, and Hungerford has the examples that flesh out the basic topics. I thought DF looked appealing at first review, but now actually using it, I find it so verbose as to obscure the topics rather than illuminate them.

Thanks for the reply. I already try to solve every theorem in a book before checking with the proof (well, to the best of my ability at least), it just makes the reading a lot more fun! I guess I'll go with Lang then, perhaps with Bergman's companion to Lang notes online.

Related to Dummit and Foote vs Lang: Choosing the Best Abstract Algebra Book

What is the difference between "Dummit and Foote" and "Lang"?

"Dummit and Foote" and "Lang" are both popular textbooks used for teaching abstract algebra. The main difference between the two is their approach to the subject. "Dummit and Foote" is known for its thoroughness and rigorous proofs, while "Lang" has a more concise and intuitive writing style.

Which textbook is better for self-study?

Both "Dummit and Foote" and "Lang" are excellent resources for self-study. However, "Dummit and Foote" may be better suited for those who prefer a more systematic and rigorous approach, while "Lang" may be better for those who prefer a more intuitive and conceptual understanding.

Which textbook is more suitable for beginners?

"Lang" is often recommended for beginners due to its concise and intuitive writing style. However, "Dummit and Foote" also provides a thorough introduction to abstract algebra and may be suitable for beginners who are willing to put in the effort.

Which textbook has better exercises?

The exercises in "Dummit and Foote" are known for their difficulty and rigor, making them more suited for advanced students. "Lang" also has challenging exercises, but they are more manageable for beginners.

Which textbook should I choose for a university course?

Both "Dummit and Foote" and "Lang" are commonly used as textbooks for university courses. It ultimately depends on the teaching style of the instructor and the preferences of the students. It may be helpful to consult with your professor or peers before making a decision.