Abstract Algebra Book: Find the Best Textbook for Rigorous Understanding

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a good abstract algebra textbook that provides both rigorous definitions and intuition on the subject. The person mentions studying abstract algebra before but not gaining the desired intuition from the chosen book. They then mention using a book on topology, which they found helpful, and ask for recommendations for an abstract algebra textbook that follows a similar style. Another person recommends Armstrong's "Groups and Symmetry," which is formal but provides intuition through a geometric approach. The conversation also briefly touches on other algebraic structures such as rings and fields, and a book by Birkhoff & Mac Lane is suggested as a good resource.
HJ Farnsworth
Hello,

A couple of years ago I studied abstract algebra from Dummit and Foote. However, I was never able to gain the intuition on the subject that I would like from that book. I want to study the subject again, and I want to use a different book this time around - one that covers a lot of ground, and gives rigorous definitions, but is otherwise fairly informal in its presentation.

I recently studied topology using Klaus Janich's "Topology" from the undergraduate texts in mathematics series. It was great, and I would like an abstract algebra equivalent to this book.

Does anyone know of an abstract algebra textbook that they would classify as being cut from the same cloth as Janich's "Topology"?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The book you should read is Armstrong's "Groups and Symmetry": https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387966757/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This is quite formal, but it gives a lot of intuition. It deals with group theory geometrically, which is the only way to really understand groups anyway. It only deals with groups though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks. It looks like that the same series, so is probably the kind of thing that I'm looking for.

Anyone know any good ones to gain an intuitive understanding of other algebraic structures, e.g., rings, fields?

Thanks.

HJ Farnsworth said:
Anyone know any good ones to gain an intuitive understanding of other algebraic structures, e.g., rings, fields?

Thanks.

There is one by Birkhoff & Mac Lane that looks good, the 3rd edition in print still.

That looks great. I think those two books should be just the combo I'm looking for.

Thanks very much.

Related to Abstract Algebra Book: Find the Best Textbook for Rigorous Understanding

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It generalizes the properties of familiar mathematical operations like addition and multiplication to more abstract settings, allowing for the study of more complex mathematical systems.

2. Why is it important to have a rigorous understanding of abstract algebra?

A rigorous understanding of abstract algebra is important because it provides a strong foundation for understanding more advanced mathematics. It also has applications in other fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography.

3. What makes a good textbook for learning abstract algebra?

A good textbook for learning abstract algebra should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of examples and exercises for practice, and a gradual progression of difficulty. It should also include applications of abstract algebra to real-world problems.

4. How do I choose the best abstract algebra textbook?

When choosing an abstract algebra textbook, consider your level of mathematical background and the level of rigor you are looking for. Look for recommendations from professors or online reviews, and browse through the table of contents and sample pages to get a sense of the book's style and approach.

5. What are some recommended textbooks for studying abstract algebra?

Some popular and highly recommended textbooks for studying abstract algebra include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "Algebra" by Michael Artin, and "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by John B. Fraleigh. Ultimately, the best textbook for you will depend on your individual learning style and goals.