Exploring Quantum Gravity: The Final Frontier of Physics?

In summary, exploring quantum gravity is considered the final frontier of physics as it aims to bridge the gap between the laws of quantum mechanics and the theory of general relativity. It involves understanding how gravity works at a quantum level and could potentially lead to groundbreaking discoveries in our understanding of the universe. However, it is a complex and challenging field that is still in its early stages, and scientists are constantly pushing the boundaries to unlock its mysteries.
TensorAndTensor
New member here, who decided four years ago to look into quantum gravity.

My original intentions were pure: really, how hard could quantum gravity be?

My current intentions are: to empathize with those who have approached this subject, spent hours, days, months pulling their hair out, yet somehow return to the subject because it does seem like a final frontier of quantum physics as it has developed so far. That's final, of course, until we find that it is not, which is certainly a given.

My pet project at the moment is emergent field theory as it relates to quantum processes, including gravity. The fascination lies with the notion that emergent theories contain a glimmer of what lies beyond. I'm also intrigued with Loop Quantum Gravity as a view down at the Planck scale. But how do we make the link between the Planck scale and classical GR?

And finally, what is the fate of supersymmetry? Is there still hope?

I have some favorite physics authors, notably Steven Weinberg, whose three volume set on The Quantum Theory of Fields really sets a high bar for quality of exposition and intellectual rigor. I have often spent days and weeks on single pages of his books, but it is worth it because the concepts are presented with such underlying excitement. Then there is Richard Feynman, who is always engaging. His 'Feynman Lectures in Gravitation' seem as relevant today in 2017 as they did in the 1960s when they originated.

--Tensor

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum