Exploring Challenging Questions in Grade 11 Nuclear Physics Curriculum

In summary, the conversation is about a student taking a grade 11 introductory physics course in Ontario, Canada and seeking help in preparing for challenging questions on nuclear physics. The student mentions that the topic is new and abstract to them, making it difficult to come up with potential questions. They ask for suggestions on how the curriculum could be twisted to create more challenging questions, potentially linking to earlier concepts such as work, heat, and forces. The conversation also includes a recommendation to check out the Hyperphysics series for ideas, as well as mentioning the textbook being used (Nelson Physics 11).
Ethan_Tab
Hey guys, wasn't too sure where I should post this but here goes:

Im currently taking a grade 11 introductory physics course in Ontario, Canada. We are currently learning the basics of nuclear physics. For most units, I'm able to foresee the thinking (hard) questions our teachers usually point on our tests. However, due to the fact that Nuclear physics is so new, and abstract to me I find it difficult to come up with question which might be thrown at us. If you guys could share in what ways the grade 11 (introductory) nuclear physics curriculum could be twisted to make for some challenging questions (perhaps linking some earlier concepts -- work, heat, forces etc...), it would be much appreciated :)

-Ethan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan_Tab said:
Hey guys, wasn't too sure where I should post this but here goes:

Im currently taking a grade 11 introductory physics course in Ontario, Canada. We are currently learning the basics of nuclear physics. For most units, I'm able to foresee the thinking (hard) questions our teachers usually point on our tests. However, due to the fact that Nuclear physics is so new, and abstract to me I find it difficult to come up with question which might be thrown at us. If you guys could share in what ways the grade 11 (introductory) nuclear physics curriculum could be twisted to make for some challenging questions (perhaps linking some earlier concepts -- work, heat, forces etc...), it would be much appreciated :)

-Ethan

What textbook are you using? Can you post an outline of the chapter(s) that have the nuclear physics topics?

I did a google search on Hyperphysics Nuclear Energy, and got some good hits. Check out the hit list to see if it gives you some ideas... :smile:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc..._l=hp...0i22i30l2.0.0.0.11977...0.cyKZKAzVfHU

berkeman said:
What textbook are you using? Can you post an outline of the chapter(s) that have the nuclear physics topics?

I did a google search on Hyperphysics Nuclear Energy, and got some good hits. Check out the hit list to see if it gives you some ideas... :smile:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc..._l=hp...0i22i30l2.0.0.0.11977...0.cyKZKAzVfHU

Hi Berkeman, we are workomg with the Nelson Physics 11 Textbook U prep.
The book covers Radioactive decay, Half life, Nuclear fission and a little of fusion. Thanks for the help :)

Did you see any units in the Hyperphysics series that may help?

1. What is nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy is the energy released from the splitting of atoms in a process called nuclear fission. This energy can be harnessed to generate electricity.

2. How is nuclear energy used?

Nuclear energy is primarily used for electricity generation in power plants. It can also be used for other applications such as propulsion in nuclear submarines or to power spacecraft.

3. What are the advantages of nuclear energy?

Some advantages of nuclear energy include its low carbon emissions, high energy density, and reliable power generation. It also has the potential to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and increase energy security.

4. What are the risks associated with nuclear energy?

The main risks associated with nuclear energy include the potential for accidents, such as meltdowns, which can release harmful radiation into the environment. There is also a concern for the safe disposal of nuclear waste, which remains radioactive for thousands of years.

5. How does nuclear energy impact the environment?

Nuclear energy does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change. However, the mining, processing, and disposal of nuclear fuel can have negative impacts on the environment. Additionally, accidents at nuclear power plants can have devastating effects on the environment and surrounding communities.