Seeking Feedback on my Physics Personal Statement for Uni Application

Ronald_James
Hello everyone,

I am a mature student applying to an undergraduate course with a foundation year, and as I finalize my university application, I'm seeking valuable feedback on the content and structure of my personal statement. I would greatly appreciate any insights and perspectives you may have. Your expertise will be immensely helpful.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to provide feedback.
Ronald James

Personal Statement:My passion for physics ignited through early exposure to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, particularly the intriguing interplay of space and time. The concept of perceiving time as one-dimensional became a persistent puzzle for me, evolving into a profound interest in general relativity, specifically exploring the correlation between time dilation and gravitational forces. This curiosity expanded to encompass the intricate global spacetime structure, where determinism and causality play pivotal roles alongside the mysteries surrounding expansion, dark energy, and dark matter.

My quest extends to understanding the intricate relationship between quantum mechanics and causality, with a particular focus on delving into the quantum eraser experiment. This captivating exploration of quantum phenomena reveals the enigma of retrocausality, where the act of observation not only influences the behavior of particles but seems to retroactively impact events that have already transpired. This unique aspect challenges conventional notions of causality, inviting me to explore the profound implications it holds for determinism in spacetime.

Beyond the confines of physics, my enthusiasm extends to philosophy, particularly Greek Philosophy. Early ideas and concepts, such as those of the Atomists and Euclidean geometry, have shaped our understanding of the natural world. Heraclitus’s works, in particular, resonate with me, as his philosophies share certain parallels with later scientific concepts. One of his aphorisms, “No man can step in the same river twice, as it is not the same river and he is not the same man,” encapsulates the concept of an uncountable infinite. Heraclitus emphasizes the perpetual flux of the world, asserting that even the slightest change gives rise to something entirely different and new.

Furthermore, his dualistic aphorism, 'The road up and the road down are one and the same,' underscores the interconnectedness of opposing forces. This can be interpreted akin to the conservation principles found in Newtonian physics. Much like the conservation of energy or momentum in Newtonian laws, Heraclitus suggests an underlying unity despite apparent opposition. In the context of the road, the opposing directions are part of a singular, continuous path, echoing the conservation of a certain quality or essence.

I appreciate how philosophical inquiries guide scientific exploration, posing questions like "Why do things exist in the way they do?" These inquiries delve into the existential nature of the laws of physics, contemplating the possibility of alternative laws. The idea of a multiverse, with each universe having distinct physical laws, fascinates me, offering infinite possibilities for diverse relationships to exist.

In preparation for my physics degree, I've pursued independent study with a rigorous approach, utilizing trusted resources like AQA textbooks and online materials. This has enabled me to establish a robust foundation in calculus and statistics, complementing my understanding of key physics concepts, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. Additionally, I've undertaken introductory classes in Python programming to aid in modeling ideas and projects.

A unique strength of mine lies in creativity, honed through various artistic pursuits and a successful career as a professional chef. I believe this creativity will prove invaluable in approaching physics problems from unique angles and developing creative solutions. Currently, I am exploring innovative models, such as sphere equations with expanding radii representing waves of causality in spacetime. I look forward to delving into canonical equations and vector geometry to further expand my repertoire for modeling different aspects of spacetime.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read this, because you need to provide more information:
  1. Undergraduate, graduate or something else?
  2. What are the exact instructions for this statement? Many such statements answer a different question than what was asked.

@Ronald_James -- Welcome to PF, but please keep in mind that when you go back and edit your Original Post (OP) after having received questions/comments, it makes it confusing for others reading your thread. Please just do updates as new replies. Thank you.

Also, as V50 asked, what is the exact wording of the instructions for this statement?

Thanks.

Ronald_James said:
Hello everyone,

I am a mature student applying to an undergraduate course with a foundation year, and as I finalize my university application, I'm seeking valuable feedback on the content and structure of my personal statement. I would greatly appreciate any insights and perspectives you may have. Your expertise will be immensely helpful.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to provide feedback.
Ronald James
What the ultimate purpose of your personal statement? Do you have the required A-level grades for your course? If not, is this an attempt to convince the university that you are a worthy student, likely of succeeding in a BSc?

I should say that I don't like that style of writing - I'd prefer a more down-to-earth style - but that may be more a matter of taste.

A more serious point is what physics you have studied:

Ronald_James said:
The concept of perceiving time as one-dimensional became a persistent puzzle for me, evolving into a profound interest in general relativity, specifically exploring the correlation between time dilation and gravitational forces. This curiosity expanded to encompass the intricate global spacetime structure, where determinism and causality play pivotal roles alongside the mysteries surrounding expansion, dark energy, and dark matter.
This sounds to me like you have read a bit of popular science, but have not actually studied any physics yet. The difference between popular science books and an undergraduate degree is the same as the difference between listening to music and learning to play the piano.

You say you've looked at Python, but give no indication of the level of competence/achievement.

Ronald_James said:
Additionally, I've undertaken introductory classes in Python programming to aid in modeling ideas and projects.
What have you actually done in Python? You could and should have set yourself at least a mini-project that shows your level of programming ability.

As this is a personal statement, I think you should say more about what you have done with your life.