Exploring Applied Physics Graduate Programs: Tips and Insights

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of pursuing graduate studies in applied physics. The individual is interested in this field and is looking for information on schools and the pros and cons of going into applied physics compared to regular physics. They also discuss the different types of applied physics programs and the areas of research and experimentation within this field. Ultimately, the conversation suggests that applied physics encompasses a wide range of subjects and there are various schools and departments that specialize in it.
WarPhalange
I'll be graduating this coming year and it's time to hunt for graduate schools. Definitely will go into experimentalism, and fondling the idea of applied physics.

Anybody know anything about that or any schools that have a specialization in it? I found out Cornell has a separate kind of division for applied physics, which is cool. That's kind of what I'm looking for.

Would going into applied physics have any cons vs. regular physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phd don't really have titles like that, there is no such thing as applied physics / regular physics.
Some topics will be theoretical some will be very experimental and within a topic (and even within a group working in the same lab) there will be a range of people working from very theoretical to very experimental parts. Look at the LHC, that's about as theoretical as you can get while beingthe worlds biggest experiment.

mgb_phys said:
Phd don't really have titles like that, there is no such thing as applied physics / regular physics.
Someone forgot to forward that memo to the applied physics departments at http://www.aph.caltech.edu/" , to name a few examples...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but you don't get a PhD in 'applied physics', just like you don't get a PhD in theoretical physics.

Well, actually, you do get a PhD in '"Applied Physics." Hence why some of those schools listed above have separate departments of applied physics. Rice University is another school that comes to mind.

From what I've seen, there's two kinds of applied physics programs. One type is very closely allied with the standard physics department (e.g. Stanford) but basically expects you to have a physics undergrad background. The other type (e.g. Rice) seems to be a place where engineers and chemists can go to get a more traditional theoretical education while still being active in the more "applied" areas of physics.

In general, these types of programs will concentrate more on solid-state and optical physics and won't make you "bother" with areas such as high-energy and relativity.

Yeah, and that's pretty much what I want. I like particles and stuff, but I would much more enjoy doing something where I can make something work and see results.

But you'll need to decide what area you want to do applied physics in. Particle physics, materials science, nanotechnologies and AMO physics are widely different fields.

Browse around those three applied physics departments linked above to get an idea of what sorts of projects exist and see what seems to interest you. Then find the groups doing research in those fields (most of which will not have their own 'applied physics' department)

I would just like to point out that the general notions of "experimental physics" and "applied physics" are NOT the same. Clearly experiments are performed constantly in "pure physics". The difference is that the experiments in pure physics may not necessarily lead to "direct" application in technology or to the general society. Also, as some have eluded to, "applied physics" research will undoubtedly be practiced in the standard physics departments. Similarly, for those schools with applied physics department, there will be researchers that specialize in modeling and computational methods; sometimes we call these people "theorists".

Oh, there is also engineering... :-p

John Hopkins runs the Applied Physics Lab...It is a good choice.

Related to Exploring Applied Physics Graduate Programs: Tips and Insights

1. What is applied physics?

Applied physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of physical principles and concepts to real-world problems and technologies. It combines fundamental physics theories with engineering and technology to create innovative solutions.

2. What are some common areas of specialization in applied physics graduate programs?

Some common areas of specialization in applied physics graduate programs include materials science, optics and photonics, biophysics, nanotechnology, and renewable energy. These specializations allow students to focus on specific areas of interest and develop expertise in their chosen field.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in applied physics?

Pursuing a graduate degree in applied physics can lead to numerous benefits, such as advanced knowledge and skills in a specific area of physics, opportunities for research and innovation, and increased job prospects and salary potential in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology.

4. What should I consider when choosing an applied physics graduate program?

When choosing an applied physics graduate program, it is important to consider factors such as the program's reputation and accreditation, faculty expertise and research opportunities, available resources and facilities, and location. It is also important to consider your own interests and career goals to find a program that aligns with them.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in applied physics with a non-physics undergraduate degree?

Yes, many applied physics graduate programs welcome students from diverse backgrounds. However, some programs may require prerequisite courses in physics or related fields. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program and determine if you have the necessary background or if you need to take additional courses before applying.