Explinations needed, second degree linear equations with a constant

In summary, Callum explains how to solve an equation with a constant, and then goes into detail for how to find the particular solution for two different cases.
C.S
Hello,

I am in need of explinations on how to resolve second degree linear equations with a constant.
I had a maths test last saturday and this was the last question :
Resolve y"+3y'+2=cos(t)
Having almost fallen into the trap of resolving y"+3y'+2y=cos(t), I passed the 2 over by cos(t) and tried to resolve y"+3y'=cos(t)-2, however I doubt that that's possible (maybe I'm wrong).
Anyhow I am looking for some help in resolving this equation because I have the same equation given as a test tomorrow morning.

Many thanks,

Callum

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to solve the homogeneous equation?

Yes I do, y0(t)=C1.e-3t+C2 with (C1,C2) →ℝ
I believe that's correct.

Not quite. If y = ert, then working out y' and y'' gives you ert(r2+3r+2) = 0, so the roots -1 amd -2 give you two solutions. Remember, there are n solutions to an nth order ODE.

Now you just need to find the particular solution. Have you learned that yet?

I thought ay"+by'+cy=0 gave us ar^2+br+c=0, in my case c=0.
I do know how to find particular solutions.
I'm going back into class, I will check back later. Thank you for your help.

Oops! You're right. I read it wrong as y'' + 3y' +2y. My bad.

Most people in my class did the same, any ideas though?

You have the right idea - just find the particular solution for the -2 (should be easy to see it's a polynomial in t) and the cosine term.

y"+3y'=-2+cos(t)
clearly
(-2+cos(t))'''+(-2+cos(t))'=0
so
y(5)+y(3)+3y=0
or in operator form
(D^2+3)y=-2+cos(t)
(D^5+4D^3+3D)y=D(D^2+3)(D^2+1)y=0
so the inhomogeneous problem reduces to a homogeneous problem.
A solution to the new problem will be a solution to the old one.

Hi,

So you want to solve the second-order differential equation [itex]y''+3y'=\cos(t)-2[/itex]. The corresponding homogeneous equation is [itex]y''+3y'=0[/itex], the solution of which is [itex]C_1+C_2\exp(-3t)[/itex], where [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are undetermined coefficients. The forcing function [itex]\cos(t)-2[/itex] can be expressed as the sum of two terms, [itex]f_1(t)=\cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]f_2(t)=2[/itex]. By the superposition principle, the particular solution [itex]y_p(t)[/itex] can be expressed as the sum of the particular solutions [itex]y_{p1}(t)[/itex] and [itex]y_{p2}(t)[/itex] corresponding to [itex]f_1(t)[/itex] and [itex]f_2(t)[/itex], respectively. The individual particular solutions can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients.

Consider first [itex]y_{p1}(t)[/itex]. We choose a trial solution [itex]y_{t1}(t)=A_0\cos(t)+A_1\sin(t)[/itex], where [itex]A_0[/itex] and [itex]A_1[/itex] are undetermined coefficients. Filling in [itex]y_{t1}''+3y_{t1}'=\cos(t)[/itex] and comparing terms leads to the pair of simultaneous equations [itex]-A_0+3A_1=1[/itex] and [itex]-3A_0-A_1=0[/itex], the solution of which is [itex]A_0=-\frac{1}{10}[/itex] and [itex]A_1=\frac{3}{10}[/itex]. So [itex]y_{p1}(t)=-\frac{1}{10}\cos(t)+\frac{3}{10}\sin(t)[/itex].

Next, consdier [itex]y_{p2}(t)[/itex]. The forcing function is a zeroth order polynomial. As explained by http://books.google.com/books?id=Pj...method of undetermined coefficients:&f=false", since the homogeneous equation lacks a damping term (i.e., one proportional to [itex]y[/itex]), we should choose as our trial solution a polynomial with degree one order higher than the forcing function, so we choose [itex]y_{t2}(t)=B_0+B_1t[/itex], with [itex]B_0[/itex] and [itex]B_1[/itex] undetermined coefficients. Filling in [itex]y_{t2}''+3y_{t2}'=-2[/itex] then leads to [itex]B_0=0[/itex] and [itex]B_1=-\frac{2}{3}[/itex]. So [itex]y_{p2}(t)=-\frac{2}{3}t[/itex].

Combining the above results, I obtain [tex]y(t)=y_h(t)+y_{p1}(t)+y_{p2}(t)= C_1+C_2\exp(-3t)-\frac{1}{10}\cos(t)+\frac{3}{10}\sin(t)-\frac{2}{3}t[/tex] as the final general solution of the differential equation. I verified this solution with Maple.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help, the maths teacher said it was a last add in the test so that no one could get it all right, no wonder especially in the time given.
I will try to meditate all of that and see if I can do it again.

Related to Explinations needed, second degree linear equations with a constant

1. What is a second degree linear equation with a constant?

A second degree linear equation with a constant is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is also known as a quadratic equation and can be solved using various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a second degree linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in the form of y = mx + b, where m and b are constants and x is the variable. It represents a straight line when graphed. On the other hand, a second degree linear equation involves a variable raised to the second power (x^2) and represents a parabola when graphed.

3. How do you solve a second degree linear equation with a constant by factoring?

To solve a second degree linear equation by factoring, you need to factor the equation into two binomials and set each binomial equal to 0. Then, you can solve for the variable using the zero product property. For example, if the equation is x^2 + 5x + 6 = 0, you can factor it into (x + 2)(x + 3) = 0 and solve for x by setting each binomial equal to 0.

4. Can you solve a second degree linear equation with a constant by completing the square?

Yes, you can solve a second degree linear equation by completing the square method. This involves adding a constant term to both sides of the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be solved for the variable. For example, if the equation is x^2 + 6x + 8 = 0, you can add 4 to both sides to get x^2 + 6x + 12 = 4. This can be factored into (x + 3)^2 = 4 and solved for x.

5. What is the quadratic formula and how is it used to solve second degree linear equations?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve any second degree linear equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is given as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can plug in the values of a, b, and c from the equation into the formula and solve for the variable x. This method is useful for equations that cannot be easily factored or completed by square.