Explain the mechanics behind this bizarre video

In summary, a building is being demolished and a section of it falls off in a rotating motion, causing debris to be flung out sideways. The cameraman is knocked out, but the video does not contain any graphic footage. The conversation discusses the physics behind the unexpected blast and the dangers of not properly preparing for a demolition. One person mentions a death resulting from the incident.
K29
This building gets pulled down and in a weird unexpected kind of blast everything shoots out sideways.

The guy holding the camera gets knocked out and the camera is just lying on the floor but there's nothing graphic in the video.

My mind is blown trying to understand what happened and how everything shot out like 100ft sideways

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The wall rotates when it's falling down, when the wall fragments when it hits the floor the rotation causes the fragments to be slung out?

It seems pretty clear to me. The section of building that came off hit on edge first, then flopped toward the camera and shattered into pieces.

I saw no good forthcoming as soon as the wall started peeling off with a rotation. Conservation of angular momentum is a nasty taskmaster.

Don't try this at home.:devil:

Someone died from that. It's easy to see how that could happen with those rocks flying at them so fast.

D H said:
I saw no good forthcoming as soon as the wall started peeling off with a rotation. Conservation of angular momentum is a nasty taskmaster.

Agreed.

It's difficult to tell, but it doesn't look like they did any perforation along the left side of the piece they were trying to pull off. I would have at least cut straight up from the top of the rightmost window opening. It looks like that could have been a large contributor to the issue. The piece stays attached along the left side which causes it to start rotating the way it did.

Related to Explain the mechanics behind this bizarre video

What is the video about?

The video is a visual representation of a scientific phenomenon or experiment.

What are the mechanics behind the video?

The mechanics behind the video could vary depending on the specific experiment being shown. Generally, the video showcases the process and results of a scientific experiment or demonstration.

How was the video created?

The video was likely created using recording equipment such as cameras or microscopes to capture the experiment in action. It may have also been edited using video editing software to enhance the visual effects.

What is the purpose of the video?

The purpose of the video is to provide a visual representation of a scientific concept or experiment. It may also serve as a teaching tool or to showcase the findings of a research project.

What can I learn from the video?

The video can provide insight into the mechanics and results of a scientific experiment, as well as demonstrate real-world applications of scientific principles. It may also spark curiosity and interest in the field of science.