Evaluate a Definite Integral to find Work

In summary: But that's not what your professor is looking for I'm sure. If it's a line integral over the path y = x, then y = x and dy/dx = 1, so the integrand becomes x^2 + 2x^2 = 3x^2, which you should be able to integrate from there.In summary, the question asks you to evaluate a line integral from (0,0) to (1,1) over the line y = x, with an integrand that can be written as d(f(x,y)), making the answer independent of path. To evaluate this integral, substitute y = x and dy/dx = 1 in the integrand and integrate with respect to
bmb2009

Homework Statement

Evaluate: from x=0 to x=1 and y=0 to y=1

∫(y^2 + 2xy(dy/dx))dx and carry the integration out over x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate double integrals with multiple variables but the (dy/dx) throws me off and it says to carry out the integration over x which to means that it isn't a double integral at all? Can some one explain to me how to deal with this integral? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate double integrals with multiple variables but the (dy/dx) throws me off and it says to carry out the integration over x which to means that it isn't a double integral at all? Can some one explain to me how to deal with this integral? Thanks!

The question is somewhat unclear, but I think it is asking you to evaluate the given line integral over the line [itex]y = x[/itex] from [itex](0,0)[/itex] to [itex](1,1)[/itex]. So substitute [itex]y = x[/itex] and [itex]dy/dx = 1[/itex] in the integrand and integrate with respect to [itex]x[/itex].

bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

The integrand has a rather interesting property. It can be written in the form d(f(x,y)). So the answer will be independent of path.

Related to Evaluate a Definite Integral to find Work

What is the definition of a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a specific interval.

Why is evaluating a definite integral important in finding work?

Evaluating a definite integral is important in finding work because it allows us to calculate the amount of work done, or energy transferred, by a varying force over a specific distance.

What is the process for evaluating a definite integral to find work?

The process for evaluating a definite integral to find work involves identifying the force function, determining the limits of integration, and setting up the integral using the appropriate formula. The integral is then solved using either analytical or numerical methods.

What are some common applications of evaluating a definite integral to find work?

Evaluating a definite integral to find work has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the work done by a force in moving an object, the potential energy of a system, and the amount of heat transferred in a thermodynamic process.

What are some common misconceptions about evaluating a definite integral to find work?

One common misconception about evaluating a definite integral to find work is that it only applies to simple, one-dimensional systems. In reality, it can also be used to find work in more complex, multi-dimensional systems. Another misconception is that the limits of integration always have to be numerical values, when in fact they can also be variables or functions.