Calculate change in KE and momentum (impulse)

So east of south. Is the wording of the problem "turns west" and "travels 26 km/h" strange to you ?Yes, it is a bit strange. It implies that the tractor is turning in a westward direction, but still moving in a northward direction at the same time. It would be clearer if it said something like "changes direction to west and travels at 26 km/h" or "travels west at 26 km/h after turning".
jfnn

Homework Statement

I have attached the problem.

A 14,000 kg tractor traveling north at 21 km/h turns west and travels 26 km/h. Calculate the change in the tractor's

a. kinetic energy
b. linear momentum (magnitude AND direction)

Homework Equations

[/B]
delta KE = (1/2)mv^2 - (1/2)mvi^2

change in linear momentum (delta p) = m(vf-vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined east as positive and north as positive.

I first converted the velocities to m/s to get: 5.83 m/s North and -7.22 m/s West.

a) I used: delta KE = (1/2)mv^2 - (1/2)mvi^2

Since kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, I do not have to worry about direction. So... I will just plug in the values all given to find the change in KE.

(1/2)(14000)(-7.22)^2 - (1/2)(14000)(5.83)^2

After computing I get 1.27*10^5 J --> Can anyone verify?

b) This part is where I get lost... The change in linear momentum is the same thing as impulse. Impulse is m(vf-vi) --> I know I cannot just subtract the velocities that are given because they are not in same direction. They have direction and magnitude. I must use vectors to find the vf-vi.

In vector notation, vf-vi is that same things as saying vf+(-vi)

Turns out that the initial velocity only has a y component, which makes its velocity (after computing with the vectors) = 5.83 m/s

The final velocity only has an x component and a 0 y component, which makes its velocity ( after computing with a y and x component) = -7.22 m/s

After getting this far, if I did it right, I assume that now I must do another vector problem with the vector final + (- vector initial)

I draw the final vector in the negative direction (west) and lable it with -7.22, then I flip the direction of the north vector (v initial) making it south to subtract from the v final. I get a vector pointing west, plus a vector pointing south. I draw an arrow from the tail of first to tip of last.

I then have a right angle, do pythagorean theroem to find

86.1173 = resultant^2 ... I take the square root to get 9.27

Is this value vf-vi?

If so, I multiply this by the mass of the truck to get the change in momentum?

So... (9.27) * 14000 kg = 1.30*10 ^5 kg*m/s

To get the direction, I do the arctan of what values? Is it the velocity of final/intial??

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 4.48.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 4.48.29 PM.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
jfnn said:
In vector notation, vf-vi is that same things as saying vf+(-vi)
Yes. If you make a skeetch you will also see which ##\arctan## you need for the angle

BvU said:
Yes. If you make a skeetch you will also see which ##\arctan## you need for the angle

Okay so I would use the values though for the velocity? Because momentum is in the same direction as the velocity right?

So it will be the arc tan of (initial velocity / the final velocity) (I drew out the triangle and tan is the opposite over adjacent)

The opposite is the velocity initial and the adjacent is the velocity final.

So theta = arctan(5.833/-7.22) ?

Does this seem correct?

jfnn said:
Okay so I would use the values though for the velocity? Because momentum is in the same direction as the velocity right?
Yes

Note:
jfnn said:
5.83 m/s North and -7.22 m/s West.
but you meant -7.22 m/s East (but you processed correctly).

jfnn said:
So theta = arctan(5.833/-7.22) ?

Does this seem correct?
No. Can you show the drawing ? In which quadrant does the vector ##\Delta\vec v## end up ?
And: in which quadrants do arctan results end up ?

BvU said:
Yes

Note:

but you meant -7.22 m/s East (but you processed correctly).No. Can you show the drawing ? In which quadrant does the vector ##\Delta\vec v## end up ?
And: in which quadrants do arctan results end up ?

Isn't it drawn like this?

The resultant is in quadrant three?

Attachments

• 20684411_938220722976773_802483191_o.jpg
    20684411_938220722976773_802483191_o.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 529
jfnn said:
Isn't it drawn like this?

The resultant is in quadrant three?

Oh wait.. the downwards line has to be negative as well?
So it is arc tan (-5.8333/-7.22)

Is that better now?

Likes BvU
jfnn said:
Oh wait.. the downwards line has to be negative as well?
So it is arc tan (-5.8333/-7.22)

Is that better now?

Thus it is 38.9 degrees below negative x axis.

jfnn said:
Thus it is 38.9 degrees below negative x axis.
Yes.

Likes jfnn

1. What is the formula for calculating change in kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating change in kinetic energy is ΔKE = ½ * m * (Vf² - Vi²), where ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, Vf is the final velocity, and Vi is the initial velocity.

2. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is p = m * v.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and does not change unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How do you calculate impulse?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force (F) acting on an object by the time (t) it is applied. The formula for impulse is J = F * t.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate change in KE and momentum?

No, the formulas for calculating change in kinetic energy and momentum are different. Change in kinetic energy takes into account the object's mass and final and initial velocities, while momentum only considers mass and velocity. However, both formulas involve the concept of change, so they are related in that sense.