Embarrassing Mishaps: My Latest Key Fiasco and Office Lockout Adventure

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
In summary: I had put the original container back under the table. I went back to work and sat down at the same table with my notebook and work. A few minutes later, another coworker came into the break room and noticed my mistake. He asked if I was working on the same problem I had been working on for the last few weeks. I said "No, I'm working on a different problem."In summary, a technical expert working on a difficult technical problem at a startup forgot they had a work notebook with them and worked on a different problem.
Ivan Seeking said:
Going back to my 240Z, [...] We finally hit 148 mph. But as we were approaching max speed we started to drift. [...] The wheels and tires were apparently acting like rudders in the air and were not, or were barely making contact with the road.
I guess that back when 240Z's didn't have mega spoilers to hold the vehicle onto the road?
(Actually, I'm surprised a 240Z could even crack that speed. The specs suggest around 125-130 mph.)

Considering that the takeoff speed for a (fully laden) 747 is around 185mph, I'm surprised you didn't get into trouble with local air traffic control. :oldbiggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
strangerep said:
I guess that back when 240Z's didn't have mega spoilers to hold the vehicle onto the road?
(Actually, I'm surprised a 240Z could even crack that speed. The specs suggest around 125-130 mph.)

Considering that the takeoff speed for a (fully laden) 747 is around 185mph, I'm surprised you didn't get into trouble with local air traffic control. :oldbiggrin:

I remember looking that up and was surprised by the numbers. I have wondered if the passenger and slight downgrade made it possible. I also have wondered how close I came to flipping the car. I don't know if that was possible of not. But when you can turn the wheel and nothing happens, something ain't right!

They were known for rolling on high speed turns. I came into one turn insanely fast and released the brake late. I think I was riding on one wheel for a moment. The entire car seemed to come off the ground and then thumped back down hard as I came out of the turn. I recall that it was a 15 mph hairpin turn that I hit doing about 60. Almost flipped it right into a solid rock wall.

PS and yes, no spoiler. And the tires weren't that great either. :nb) I know it could easily do over 125 mph on a level road. I did that many times.

strangerep said:
Considering that the takeoff speed for a (fully laden) 747 is around 185mph...
Nitpick: African? or European? :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Ibix and fresh_42
Ivan Seeking said:
And the tires weren't that great either.
And the struts?

Keith_McClary said:
And the struts?
Heh, probably not great. But MAN that car was as fun as it was dangerous. Had an MG Midget for a time as well. Fun fun fun! The MG was crazy fun for cornering but wasn't as dangerous because it wasn't as fast.

I was already married by the time I got the MG but the car kept trying to get me dates. LOL!

Ivan Seeking said:
[...] But MAN that car was as fun as it was dangerous. [...]
It's interesting to compare "muscle" cars of yesteryear to today. Back in the early 1980's I had a (2nd hand) Torana SL/R 5000 (one of the most powerful cars ever built in Australia). It would do 0-60 mph in about 6.5 sec, which seems quite tame by today's standards.

Today, my current (2017) Audi S5 (twin-turbo 3L V6) will go 0-60mph in about 4.7sec, and it's top speed (electronically limited) is rated as 155 mph. But I've never felt unsafe in it, with quattro AWD and a sport diff.

Even more silly is the Audi RS5 "Vorsprung" model which does 0-60 in 3.9sec, with max speed of 174 mph. An R8 can go to 200 mph.

I wish we had autobahns in Australia (sigh). Sadly, our motorways usually morph into parking lots within a few years. :oldfrown:

Ivan Seeking said:
I was already married by the time I got the MG but the car kept trying to get me dates. LOL!
My S5 turns heads -- until they see the grey hair on the driver. I thought about getting some personalized number plates that say "Hi Girls" (a joke of course), but at my age they'd probably laugh at it for the wrong reasons... :oldlaugh:

Likes Ivan Seeking
strangerep said:
I wish we had autobahns in Australia (sigh).
Do you have any track days available? Here in California many racetracks have a few track days a year, either sponsored by an auto club (like Porsche or BMW), or as part of high-performance driving/riding classes. They are great fun, and a reasonably safe way to fulfil the need for speed... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Ivan Seeking
strangerep said:
it's top speed (electronically limited) is rated as 155 mph
Have you checked this?

I've had Audis electronically limited to 130 and they will go above that. Or...um...so I've been told.

strangerep said:
I wish we had autobahns in Australia (sigh).
They are rarely empty. I tried to maximize the average speed on a 410 miles distance several times and 90 mph on average was the best I could achieve due to traffic, construction sites, and speed limits. The car made about 125 mph, but even if that had been more, it wouldn't have affected the average speed very much, because traffic forces you to slow down long before you get behind another car.

Likes Frabjous
strangerep said:
It's interesting to compare "muscle" cars of yesteryear to today. Back in the early 1980's I had a (2nd hand) Torana SL/R 5000 (one of the most powerful cars ever built in Australia). It would do 0-60 mph in about 6.5 sec, which seems quite tame by today's standards.
I often think of electric cars, their torque and performance, and how soon the loud roar of a powerful car engine will just seem primitive and obnoxious. But the Z series were sports cars, not muscle cars. They were very fun but definitely had flaws. The later models were much faster.
strangerep said:
My S5 turns heads -- until they see the grey hair on the driver. I thought about getting some personalized number plates that say "Hi Girls" (a joke of course), but at my age they'd probably laugh at it for the wrong reasons... :oldlaugh:
Being single again I use every advantage I have. :angel: And they don't all laugh!

My current gf, who is much much younger than me, has a father (also younger than me) with an 800 HP Dodge Demon. She thinks that once she has the nerve to tell him about me (mom knows but not dad) and we have a chance to meet, he might let me borrow it. :biggrin: I'm not so sure about that but if he doesn't kill me first, perhaps.

Recently I was driving a brand new 500 HP Camero SS. That was fun!

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Do you have any track days available? Here in California many racetracks have a few track days a year, either sponsored by an auto club (like Porsche or BMW), or as part of high-performance driving/riding classes. They are great fun, and a reasonably safe way to fulfil the need for speed... :smile:
Yes, that sort of thing is available here. Also "advanced driving days" by Audi and Mercedes where you get to drive their most potent models. I thought about going to the Audi event nearest to me, but I'd need to get there by 8am through peakhour motorway traffic. :oldfrown:

Vanadium 50 said:
Have you checked this?
Ha! No, of course not. On my nearest motorway the spacing between police traps tends to be such that (even if I knew exactly where they were at any given time) I could barely get up to max speed before having to brake in time for the next one. :oldfrown:

The main benefit of my S5 these days is that, from the front, it looks so intimidating that drivers approaching the opposite way to a roundabout rarely try to beat me through if my turn signal is on. :oldlaugh:

Vanadium 50 said:
I've had Audis electronically limited to 130 and they will go above that. Or...um...so I've been told.
Oh, you hoon! :oldbiggrin:

I could of course get an after-market kit for around $1K that would increase my S5 to RS5 performance. But, alas, there's just no point. For my next car I think I'll go for a more "sedate" A6 e-tron. :oldwink:

fresh_42 said:
They are rarely empty. I tried to maximize the average speed on a 410 miles distance several times and 90 mph on average was the best I could achieve [...]
That's still very impressive by Australian standards. Here, the speed limit on motorways is only 100kph to 110kph in perfect conditions (that's kph, not mph). :oldfrown:

Ivan Seeking said:
I often think of electric cars, their torque and performance, and how soon the loud roar of a powerful car engine will just seem primitive and obnoxious.
I've already thought that for a long time. When I realized how much better an Audi TTV6 is, compared to (say) a 5L (or even 6L) naturally aspirated V8, (and how much more fuel-efficient the Audi is when cruising) I became quite contemptuous of loud cars.

... and also loud motorbikes. About 10 years ago my neighbour decided to buy a truly ancient non-working Harley and made my life a misery for many weekends as he and his kids tried to get it going again. He said it was to "teach" his teenage kids a bit about how ICU engines work. (Yeah, right.)

His oldest (mid-teens) daughter was really interested in the work, but when they eventually got it going and she went for her first ride on the back it scared her so absolutely s***tless that she never rode on it ever again. Curiously, his youngest (tiny, pre-teen) daughter absolutely loved it and would ride everywhere on the back of the bike with dad. That little girl was absolutely fearless.

I'm so glad I don't live next to them anymore.

Ivan Seeking said:
My current gf, who is much much younger than me, has a father (also younger than me) [...]
Oh! You DOG! :oldeek:

Ivan Seeking said:
Recently I was driving a brand new 500 HP Camero SS. That was fun!
Is that the one that's rated to do 0-60mph in <4 sec?

This reminds of a (now slightly shameful) story [heh, this a "dumb deeds" thread, right?] from a few years ago soon after I got my S5. There's a section of 2-lane road a few kms from me where there's some traffic lights immediately followed by a rather short forced merger onto a single lane bridge (i.e., no sideroom for errors). One day I stopped at those lights, and a black Mustang 5L V8 then pulled up beside me, obviously intending to drag off and beat me into the single lane. (An S5 looks quite ordinary from the rear so she probably though dragging me off would be easy.) So,... hmm,... what to do? Well, to my shame, I popped my S5 into "sport" mode and positioned my feet accordingly. Lights turned green, and... "punch it Chewey"! She was quite surprised that I was easily accelerating faster than she was, so she had to quickly brake and drop in behind me. (The other cars behind us at the lights had barely moved.)

I felt a bit bad after that -- I'll never do such a DUMB silly thing again.

Last edited:
Likes Ivan Seeking
strangerep said:
I thought about going to the Audi event nearest to me, but I'd need to get there by 8am through peakhour motorway traffic.
My workday alarm is 0400. My buddies who fish routinely get up at 0200 to pursue a great day of fishing. How willing are you to set an alarm to go 150mph into turn #1? :smile:

berkeman said:
My workday alarm is 0400. [...]
Ah, you're a better (and probably healthier) man than I am (sigh).

Likes berkeman
strangerep said:
I've already thought that for a long time. When I realized how much better an Audi TTV6 is, compared to (say) a 5L (or even 6L) naturally aspirated V8, (and how much more fuel-efficient the Audi is when cruising) I became quite contemptuous of loud cars.

... and also loud motorbikes. About 10 years ago my neighbour decided to buy a truly ancient non-working Harley and made my life a misery for many weekends as he and his kids tried to get it going again. He said it was to "teach" his teenage kids a bit about how ICU engines work. (Yeah, right.)

We had a similar situation with a neighbor and his Snortin Norton. We had a 5 acre places 10 miles from the nearest town. We lived out in the sticks where it is supposed to be quiet. But every weekend we had to listen to him mowing 3 acres, which took pretty much all day, and then the sound his Norton coughing and choking and backfiring while he worked on it.

strangerep said:
Oh! You DOG! :oldeek:
1626074984560.png

She's gorgeous too! I could write a book. :cool: In fact my closest friend has been telling me to do so for years now. I never imagined that at this point in my life...! And she isn't the first. Turns out that sometimes nice guys win. You just have to be willing to dive in.

strangerep said:
Is that the one that's rated to do 0-60mph in <4 sec?

I don't know but that sounds about right. It would probably pass the $100 bill test - where you tape a $100 bill to the dash and tell any passenger they can have it if they can grab it when I have the pedal to the metal.

strangerep said:
This reminds of a (now slightly shameful) story [heh, this a "dumb deeds" thread, right?] from a few years ago soon after I got my S5. There's a section of 2-lane road a few kms from me where there's some traffic lights immediately followed by a rather short forced merger onto a single lane bridge (i.e., no sideroom for errors). One day I stopped at those lights, and a black Mustang 5L V8 then pulled up beside me, obviously intending to drag off and beat me into the single lane. (An S5 looks quite ordinary from the rear so she probably though dragging me off would be easy.) So,... hmm,... what to do? Well, to my shame, I popped my S5 into "sport" mode and positioned my feet accordingly. Lights turned green, and... "punch it Chewey"! She was quite surprised that I was easily accelerating faster than she was, so she had to quickly brake and drop in behind me. (The other cars behind us at the lights had barely moved.)

I felt a bit bad after that -- I'll never do such a DUMB silly thing again.

For me it was racing a guy in town when I had an open container. We got caught and were pulled over. We had to get out of the car and were interrogated, at which time I admitted I had been drinking. "But I'm not too drunk to drive" I quickly added in desperation. Then I mumbled, "but I guess you won't believe that just because I say so..." which he heard and responded, "I might". :oops: And I was still too young to drink! He never searched the car so he never found the booze. And I think I got off with a warning. Apparently the other guy tried to lie his way out and made the cop mad. He didn't get off with a warning.

Moral of my two stories: Don't race me or you will go directly to jail. :cool::cool::cool:

Ivan Seeking said:
View attachment 285830
She's gorgeous too!
Wait! That's your girlfriend??:oldeek: I agree she's cute, but,... hmmm.

Oh hang on,... I see. That's not her -- that's you after... <ahem>...

Ivan Seeking said:
You just have to be willing to dive in.
And the double entendres just keep coming.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know but that sounds about right. It would probably pass the $100 bill test - where you tape a $100 bill to the dash and tell any passenger they can have it if they can grab it when I have the pedal to the metal.
Heh, I never heard of that. Now I wish I'd tried it with the Audi salesman who brought me an RS5 for testdrive when I was thinking of upgrading my S5.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
I had to travel for work a couple of months ago. The rental car companies had sold off so many cars during the pandemic that they were struggling to supply cars. As a result, I ended up getting a free upgrade to a 500 hp Camero SS because it was all they had left. Bummer. :wink:

The bad thing was that I couldn't keep my foot off the gas. And whenever I punched it, my glasses flew off and landed on the back seat.

Camaro...sorry pet peeve I have.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking and berkeman
2milehi said:
Camaro...sorry pet peeve I have.

You would think that after this many years the spelling would be burned into my mind. It has been one of my favorite cars since I was a kid.

Likes 2milehi
OK, keeping with the car theme. Here's my stupidest non-driving move:
I had a VW Scirocco (many many years ago) and one Saturday morning it just wouldn't start for me. So I spent most of the weekend under the hood, outdoors in the snow. Finally diagnosed dirty fuel injectors; I remember it was a bit of a job to get them out and cleaned. Once I got it back together, still no luck. I finally listened to my wiser buddy, and we put a gallon or two of gasoline in the tank. Instant success...

Stupidest driving move: Again with the Scirocco, a few years earlier. Driving around the hills outside Charlottesville, VA. Twisty road, trapped behind a real slow-poke in a big sedan. He finally slowed even more, to pull into a gas station on the right. As soon as he slowed, I downshifted and moved left (into the oncoming lane) so I wouldn't have to slow while he turned off. Just as I pulled out, a dump truck with a big snow plow appeared around the bend, coming my way. I put the pedal to the medal and got back into my lane with "adequate" time before the plow came by. At nearly the same instant, I see the flashing red lights behind me, I am pulled over. The cop says, "what was all that about?" so I started to tell him about the "lame a$$hole" I was passing. "really," he says, "that was me" oops.

• Haha
Likes 2milehi, Keith_McClary, Astronuc and 3 others
Years back my wife and I received our first training bike, all I had to do was to assemble it. Easy peasy, there weren't that many parts and I am an engineer after all, so I can do this with a mere glance over the instructions. And everything did went fine until I got around to the last parts, the pedals. One of the pedals went on nicely, but the other one?! I tried, and I tried for like 15 minutes, but the thread just wouldn't catch on. Eventually I was cursing very loudly throwing stuff around, and fuming that I now had to ship the whole damn broken thing back for replacement. After cooling off a bit in resignation my mind started to replay my actions, apparently eager to solve work the problem even if I was still mostly just inclined to kick the damn thing, and then suddenly I had one of those moments where you slap your forehead and laugh about how stupid you'd just been, went over and smoothly screwed the damn pedal on.

(Since this is PF, I think it will be more instructive not to tell what the issue was, although I'm sure everyone who has been assembling a bike will know, and maybe even done what I did too unless they cheated and read the instructions carefully).

Likes Astronuc and berkeman
Filip Larsen said:
(Since this is PF, I think it will be more instructive not to tell what the issue was, although I'm sure everyone who has been assembling a bike will know, and maybe even done what I did too unless they cheated and read the instructions carefully).
I've never assembled a bike, but I have changed a blade on an SCMS.

So I'm guessing... left-handed thread?

Likes Keith_McClary and Ibix
Filip Larsen said:
cheated and read the instructions carefully
😆

strangerep said:
So I'm guessing... left-handed thread?
Spot on.

You're an MIT grad?

Bystander said:
You're an MIT grad?
You who?

berkeman said:
You who?
He Who Must Not Be Named

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Filip Larsen said:
what the issue was
Do yours have "L" and "R" stamped on the end of the screws?

LR.png

Last edited:
Filip Larsen said:
Years back my wife and I received our first training bike,

Now you're trained.

lefty tighty righty loosey.

"Leave it to a Lefty to unscrew what a Righty has screwed up."
- DaveC426913.

Likes BillTre and Mondayman
Not me, but this new guy sitting in a Real Analysis class. He thought it was about Real Estate. I guess that can happen to many. But it took him like 2 months to figure out he was in the wrong class. ?

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Twigg, Wrichik Basu, Hamiltonian and 5 others
WWGD said:
Not me, but this new guy sitting in a Real Analysis class. He thought it was about Real Estate. I guess that can happen to many. But it took him like 2 months to figure out he was in the wrong class. ?
A maintenance worker for an industrial customer of mine wanted to take an introductory class on basic programming for Allen Bradley (AB) PLCs. So he signed up and took the classes. A few weeks later when he went to apply his new skills, he had no idea what he was seeing. He finally realized he had taken classes for ASEA Brown Bover (ABB) PLCs, not AB.

Likes WWGD
Filip Larsen said:
I tried, and I tried for like 15 minutes, but the thread just wouldn't catch on. Eventually I was cursing very loudly throwing stuff around, and fuming that I now had to ship the whole damn broken thing back for replacement. After cooling off a bit in resignation my mind started to replay my actions, apparently eager to solve work the problem even if I was still mostly just inclined to kick the damn thing, and then suddenly I had one of those moments where you slap your forehead and laugh about how stupid you'd just been, went over and smoothly screwed the damn pedal on.
I did the same a few years ago when I was swapping pedals from my bike to a different bike. I couldn't get the left side to start. It took a few minutes and a reminder from a friend that one turns the screw over the top toward the front so pedaling is in the same direction as the turning to tighten. And I used to work in a bike shop (about 50 years ago when I was underage, so I worked for cash off the books) where I repaired many bikes and built many from scratch. :rolleyes: At the time, I lived on my bicycle and would ride on Main Street in traffic up to 35 mph in a major metropolitan area.

Likes berkeman
Keith_McClary said:
Do yours have "L" and "R" stamped on the end of the screws?
The bike is no longer around, but its likely there were indicators (and instructions) that would have made it clear. But since it was my first encounter with a left-screw I was not looking for it. Instead I got a valuable lesson that sometimes it does pay off to read the instructions carefully first (which I in fact often do in general, but skipped on that occasion because, hey, its just these few parts, how hard can it be).