Just a rant I guess.Tonight my friends wanted to show me this

• Thread starter zomgwtf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary: I told him that he was delusional and that he was just doing his job. In summary, a group of friends went to a 'crazy ladies' home, and when they got there the old lady said they weren't the ones knocking on her door, and the cop said he was going to charge them with harassment.

As well isn't using intimidation tactics against the law? I mean he can't make threats with the intent to coerce information out of me and my friend can he? My friend was saying afterwards that he just wanted the cops to leave him alone that's why he lied lol.

So are we liable for the lies he may have stated to the officer when the officer was coercing information out of him?

Physics news on Phys.org

zomgwtf said:
As well isn't using intimidation tactics against the law? I mean he can't make threats with the intent to coerce information out of me and my friend can he? My friend was saying afterwards that he just wanted the cops to leave him alone that's why he lied lol.

So are we liable for the lies he may have stated to the officer when the officer was coercing information out of him?

you're barking up the wrong tree...

you have to try looking at it from the woman's and the cop's point of view

zomgwtf said:

It wasnt coercion by definition. He did not say he was going to shoot you or hurt you physically, and police are allowed to lie during interviews. Just because you are being interviewed or interrogated on the street does not make not an interview. There is no difference between talking to you on the street or downtown at the police station. You are talking to the officer who is on duty, he is mentally recording this conversation and he can use any snippet of it to F you over. Do NOT talk to police.

This all could've gone awfully wrong for you and I hope you understand that. If you pushed the cop back because you thought you are a tough guy, you better be prepared to either be a fugitive on the run or go to jail and face charges. There is a fine line between a thug who needs attitude adjustment and a citizen who is being disrespectful to the police.

Last edited:

zomgwtf said:

It depends on your country's laws. In the US there is a fine line. Different states may have differing policies. To get to a federal court of appeals takes something fairly significant. US courts are a bit conservative, and therefore loose, in their interpretations. A very strict and official supreme court position would be that the content of a coerced interview is not admissible only if it significantly effects the outcome of a trial. If they determine that the trial would have proceeded the same despite the coercion it does not matter. But this is a very conservative interpretation of US constitutional law. State constitutions may offer more protection and none of it necessarily applies to Canada. Since we are talking about a misdemeanor it is likely a moot point since the DA is not likely to push hard on a misdemeanor charge.

Do NOT talk to police.
You don't do that when a belligerent cop is talking directly to you. Where do you think he'd be right now if he followed your advice?

Consider the following plan, which is really more about not breing able to change the past and instead decide who you want to be moving forward:

- chalk up the incident with the police to lessons learned 1] your "friends" will throw you under a bus, 2] maybe you're mostly innocent, or maybe you could try harder to stay away from trouble in the future. sometimes if you're not part fo the solution, you;re part of the problem.
- bring a bouquet of flowers to the woman. Apologize for being part of something that scared her. Tell her your friends were fools and, well, so were you.

leroyjenkens said:
You don't do that when a belligerent cop is talking directly to you. Where do you think he'd be right now if he followed your advice?

I agree with leroy*. zomgwtf did the right thing. He told the truth and stuck to it. The cop tried to shake him and get him to crack, but z stuck with it, calmly. If the cop really had any intention of charging him, he would have tossed him in the back of his cruiser.

*:bugeye::tongue:

DaveC426913 said:
I agree with leroy*. zomgwtf did the right thing. He told the truth and stuck to it. The cop tried to shake him and get him to crack, but z stuck with it, calmly. If the cop really had any intention of charging him, he would have tossed him in the back of his cruiser.

*:bugeye::tongue:

Hey how is that traffic court thing coming along? :tongue2:

And so? Let the cop hit him. He will sue the police department and get a bad apple off the streets. You can't be intimidated and break down like a sheep just because someone is there who is bigger and more mean than you are.

Weakness of character begins by running away from your mistakes, or in this case waddling away slowly.

Why are a bunch of adults in this situation anyway? Isn't this one of those elementary school after-school tv show plots? Now the cop will talk to your parents and then you'll be in REAL trouble. Next you will apologize to the women who turns out to be a famous broadway dancer. You'll become friends, clean her yard, eat a cookie, and then the credits will role with a freeze frame of you, the cop, the old lady, and your parents laughing.

Pattonias said:
Why are a bunch of adults in this situation anyway? Isn't this one of those elementary school after-school tv show plots? Now the cop will talk to your parents and then you'll be in REAL trouble. Next you will apologize to the women who turns out to be a famous broadway dancer. You'll become friends, clean her yard, eat a cookie, and then the credits will role with a freeze frame of you, the cop, the old lady, and your parents laughing.

:rofl:

And so? Let the cop hit him. He will sue the police department and get a bad apple off the streets.
Why would the cop hit him? I'm talking about the cop taking him downtown for whatever reason he wants. Cops are "supposed" to act a certain way and "supposed" to do certain things in certain situations, but there's a lot of leeway.

It's easy to say you'll sue this person and this will happen as a result. More likely, the cop takes him downtown and never hears from him again. Meanwhile zomg is having his time wasted and his money wasted trying to "fight it" and then ends up cutting his losses and forgetting about the whole thing because it's fruitless.
You can't be intimidated and break down like a sheep just because someone is there who is bigger and more mean than you are.
If he was only bigger and meaner, then it wouldn't be a problem. Big mean people don't scare me, but a cop who's allowed to handle a situation according to what mood he's in does.
Weakness of character begins by running away from your mistakes, or in this case waddling away slowly.
And you and your pride can sit in a jail cell. It's not a weakness of character to talk to a cop when he asks you a question. You don't have to cower in fear and beg for forgiveness, but it's smarter to realize you may not actually have all the rights you think you do.

zomgwtf said:
She's not really an 'old lady' she's around 40-50 years old. She wasn't hiding in the bushes because she was scared, she was hiding in the bushes in order to see everything and record things. Clearly this lady had it happen to her before (my friends told me later that they had gone there the previous night too... like really guys lol?) she even got a recording of the car and the people knocking on the door. She was able to give verrrry detailed descriptions of the guys I was with... can I honestly take the fall for crimes I didn't commit?

This should be your saving grace. If she recorded the people involved (audio or video?) and gave the cops description of each person, you shouldn't be in that description or those recordings if you weren't there at the time.

You did the right thing to stick to the truth, even if the cop didn't seem to believe you. If for some reason charges really are brought against you, it's a lot easier to keep being consistent about the truth than trying to remember made-up stories.

Chances are that the cop was trying to intimidate you because he highly suspected you were involved, but couldn't prove it, so was instead trying to scare you into staying away.

Your better bet is to simply stop hanging around that group of people. They're up to no good and you don't want to be with them the next time they get caught doing something stupid.

I mean, seriously, if a group of rowdy guys showed up knocking on my door two nights in a row up to nothing good, I'd be calling the cops on them too.

Moonbear said:
This should be your saving grace. If she recorded the people involved (audio or video?) and gave the cops description of each person, you shouldn't be in that description or those recordings if you weren't there at the time.

You did the right thing to stick to the truth, even if the cop didn't seem to believe you. If for some reason charges really are brought against you, it's a lot easier to keep being consistent about the truth than trying to remember made-up stories.

Chances are that the cop was trying to intimidate you because he highly suspected you were involved, but couldn't prove it, so was instead trying to scare you into staying away.

Your better bet is to simply stop hanging around that group of people. They're up to no good and you don't want to be with them the next time they get caught doing something stupid.

I mean, seriously, if a group of rowdy guys showed up knocking on my door two nights in a row up to nothing good, I'd be calling the cops on them too.

I've got a four iron by one door and an aluminum bat by another

rewebster said:
I've got a four iron by one door and an aluminum bat by another

In the US that sort of behavior can get your @ss filled with buckshot.

lisab said:

in other words, don't knock on lisab's door after ten pm...

You are hanginig out with wrong crowd.

lisab said:

it should be perfectly legal to shoot 410 shells of rock salt at unruly teenagers

Proton Soup said:
it should be perfectly legal to shoot 410 shells of rock salt at unruly teenagers

Ruly ones, too.