Elementary Differential Equations

In summary, an elementary differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is important because it is used to model natural phenomena in various fields and provides a powerful tool for understanding and predicting system behavior. Solving an elementary differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation, which can be done analytically or numerically. Some real-world applications of elementary differential equations include population growth, heat transfer, and economic modeling. There are also software programs available for solving these equations, such as Wolfram Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple.
AST3019
(dy/dx)^2 + y^2 + 4 = 0; Show that there are no real valued solutions.

(dy/dx)^2 = -(y^2 + 4)
dy/dx= sqrt( -(y^2 + 4)) -----> This is the answer I got, I feel it makes sense because the negative under the radical produce an answer with 'i' or an imaginary sol'n and since y^2 is always positive y^2 + 4> 0, so the there is no way to cancel that negative under the radical.
Unfortunately, this doesn't correspond with the answer in the back of my book, anyone want to let me know what I am doing wrong/ show me a different way to answer it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to offer my explanation for why there are no real valued solutions to this equation.

Firstly, let's rearrange the equation to make it easier to work with:
(dy/dx)^2 = -y^2 - 4

Now, we can see that the left side of the equation is always positive or zero (since it is squared), while the right side is always negative (since y^2 and 4 are always positive). This means that the equation cannot be satisfied for any real value of dy/dx.

Furthermore, if we try to solve for dy/dx by taking the square root of both sides, we will end up with an imaginary solution, as you have correctly pointed out. This is because the square root of a negative number is imaginary.

In summary, there are no real valued solutions to this equation because the left side is always positive or zero, while the right side is always negative. This means that the equation cannot be satisfied for any real value of dy/dx.

I hope this explanation helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

Related to Elementary Differential Equations

1. What is an elementary differential equation?

An elementary differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It typically involves one or more independent variables and one dependent variable.

2. Why are elementary differential equations important?

Elementary differential equations are important because they are used to model a wide variety of natural phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems.

3. How do you solve an elementary differential equation?

Solving an elementary differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.

4. What are some real-world applications of elementary differential equations?

Elementary differential equations have numerous real-world applications, including modeling population growth, radioactive decay, pendulum motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics, epidemiology, and meteorology.

5. Are there any software programs available for solving elementary differential equations?

Yes, there are several software programs available for solving elementary differential equations, such as Wolfram Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs use algorithms to solve equations numerically and provide visual representations of the solutions.