Frictional force between two rotating cylinders

In summary, when the cylinders are pressed against each other, a steady state is reached and the cylinder Q acquires a constant angular velocity.
Dayal Kumar

Homework Statement

.A cylinder P of radius rP is being rotated at a constant angular velocity ωP along positive y-axis with the help of a motor about its axis that is fixed. Another cylinder Q of radius rQ free to rotate about its axis that is also fixed is touched with and pressed on P making an angle θ between their axes. Soon after the cylinders are pressed against each other, a steady state ls reached and the cylinder Q acquires a constant angular velocity. What can you conclude about the direction of frictional force when the steady state is reached?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting that cylinder q will be rotating with a fixed angular velocity in the steady state and also it's centre of mass will be translating with ωQrQtanθ along the fixed axis of rotation. I am unable to understand why there will be frictional force if there is no acceleration or relative motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you provided the exact wording of the problem?

Hello Dayal, :welcome:

Dayal Kumar said:
it's centre of mass will be translating with ωQrQtanθ along the fixed axis of rotation
Would that be consistent with 'steady state' ?
And: would it be consistent with 'no frictional force in action' ?

The wording of the question is correct.
I think I am not getting what exactly is happening at the contact point. In steady state there should not be any slipping between the surfaces, what will happen to the angular velocities of the cylinders in such a case, please explain??

Dayal Kumar said:
The wording of the question is correct.
I think I am not getting what exactly is happening at the contact point. In steady state there should not be any slipping between the surfaces, what will happen to the angular velocities of the cylinders in such a case, please explain??
I am not able to picture the geometry. Can you provide a diagram please.

Likes Delta2
I believe it looks like crossed fingers.

I think there is relative motion between the two because of the angle.

Try drawing rings around both rollers representing the motion of the point of contact. Two points on these rings converge on the contact point at different angles.

Likes Delta2
Dayal Kumar said:
it's centre of mass will be translating with ωQrQtanθ along the fixed axis of rotation.
It says it is free to rotate about its axis. There is nothing about whether it is free to slide along its axis. I would assume not.

Likes CWatters
I have now understood that there must be relative motion between the two and the steady state is reached when the direction of frictional force becomes parallel to the axis of Q such that it's angular velocity remains constant. Thank you for your instructive replies.

Dayal Kumar said:
steady state is reached when the direction of frictional force becomes parallel to the axis of Q
It is not very intuitive, but I agree with your answer. Thank you for posting such an interesting question.

Likes Delta2
I'll have to think about it some more. I thought from symmetry the angle of the frictional force would be theta/2.

There does not actually exist any symmetry because the motor attached to cylinder P makes it rotate at a specified constant velocity whereas the friction is responsible for making the cylinder Q reach to the constant angular velocity as required in the steady state.

Ok that didn't take long. I agree with you. The frictional angle will change as Q accelerates but once the angular velocity becomes constant it stops parallel with the axis of Q so the isn't a tangential component.

1. What is the definition of frictional force between two rotating cylinders?

The frictional force between two rotating cylinders is the resistance force that acts against the relative motion between the two cylinders. This force arises due to the contact between the surfaces of the two cylinders and the roughness of these surfaces.

2. How is the frictional force between two rotating cylinders calculated?

The frictional force between two rotating cylinders can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two cylinders. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces of the cylinders are, and the normal force is the force exerted by one cylinder on the other in a direction perpendicular to their surfaces.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the frictional force between two rotating cylinders?

The magnitude of the frictional force between two rotating cylinders is affected by several factors such as the coefficient of friction, the normal force, the speed of rotation, the surface roughness, and the lubrication between the two cylinders. These factors can either increase or decrease the frictional force between the cylinders.

4. How does the direction of rotation affect the frictional force between two cylinders?

The direction of rotation has a significant impact on the frictional force between two cylinders. If the two cylinders are rotating in the same direction, the frictional force will be higher due to the increased contact between their surfaces. However, if the cylinders are rotating in opposite directions, the frictional force will be lower as the contact between their surfaces is reduced.

5. Can the frictional force between two rotating cylinders be reduced?

Yes, the frictional force between two rotating cylinders can be reduced by using a lubricant between the two surfaces. The lubricant acts as a barrier between the surfaces and reduces the roughness, thus decreasing the coefficient of friction. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or reducing the speed of rotation can also help in reducing the frictional force between the cylinders.