Small oscillation frequency of rod and disk pendulum

In summary: You are correct that the official solution is wrong, and your solution is correct. Your solution is simpler anyway.Absolutely. You are correct that the official solution is wrong, and your solution is correct. Your solution is simpler anyway.In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum system consisting of a rod attached to a ceiling and a disk, and the frequency of small oscillations of this pendulum. The conversation also mentions Newton's rotation law and the equation of motion for the system. The conversation concludes with a comparison of two different solutions for the frequency, with one being correct and the other being incorrect.
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

Consider a rod of length ##L## and mass ##M## attached on one end to the ceiling and on the other end to the edge of a disk of radius ##r## and mass ##m##. This system is slightly moved away from the vertical and let go. Let ##\theta## be the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical. What is the frequency ##\omega## of small oscillations of this pendulum?

1zzizra.png

Homework Equations

Newton's rotation law gives
$$\vec{\tau}=I\ddot{\theta}$$

where ##I## is the moment of inertia of the rod and disk relative to the pivot in the ceiling and ##\vec{\tau}## is the torque due to the gravity force.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The torque due to gravity around the pivot ##P## divides into the torque of gravity at the center of mass of the rod (located at ##L/2##) plus the torque of the gravity force at the center of mass of the disk (located at ##L+r##). This is

$$\vec{\tau}=\vec{r}_{P,M}\times M\vec{g}+\vec{R}_{P,cm}\times m\vec{g}$$

This ends up giving

$$\vec{\tau}=-\left[M\frac{L}{2} +m(L+r)\right]g\sin\theta\hat{z}$$

So the equation of motion $$\vec{\tau}=I\ddot{\theta}$$ becomes

$$-\left[M\frac{L}{2} +m(L+r)\right]g\sin\theta=I\ddot{\theta}$$

If we make this an harmonic type equation where ##\ddot{\theta}=-\omega^{2}\theta,\sin\theta\approx \theta ## it becomes ##-\left[M\frac{L}{2} +m(L+r)\right]g\theta=-I\omega^{2}\theta##

and so

$$\omega=\sqrt{\frac{\left[M\frac{L}{2} +m(L+r)\right]g}{I}}$$

This is not the solution for the frequency of oscillation, which means I am missing something perhaps in the center of mass calculation.

Attachments

• 1zzizra.png
    1zzizra.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result looks OK to me. In what way does your answer differ from the solution that you were given?

It looks like you have a typographical error where you left out a factor of ##\theta## on the right side of
Jenny Physics said:
##-\left[M\frac{L}{2} +m(L+r)\right]g\theta=-I\omega^{2}##
But this doesn't affect your result.

TSny said:
Your result looks OK to me. In what way does your answer differ from the solution that you were given?
The solution given is

$$\omega=\sqrt{\frac{\left[M\frac{L}{2}+m(L+r)\right]gM}{I(M+m)}}$$

To see which answer cannot be correct, try a special case where you already know the answer. For example, suppose you transform the pendulum into a simple pendulum by letting the mass of the rod equal zero and also letting the radius of the disk equal zero. So, you would have a point mass m at the end of a massless rod of length L.

Likes Jenny Physics
TSny said:
To see which answer cannot be correct, try a special case where you already know the answer. For example, suppose you transform the pendulum into a simple pendulum by letting the mass of the rod equal zero and also letting the radius of the disk equal zero. So, you would have a point mass m at the end of a massless rod of length L.
In that case my solution would give ##\omega=\sqrt{g/L}## while the official solution would give ##\omega=0## so my solution would seem to win out.

Jenny Physics said:
In that case my solution would give ##\omega=\sqrt{g/L}## while the official solution would give ##\omega=0## so my solution would seem to win out.
Absolutely.

What is the definition of small oscillation frequency?

The small oscillation frequency of a pendulum is the number of back and forth swings it makes in a unit of time, typically measured in Hertz (Hz).

How is the small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum calculated?

The small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum is calculated using the equation f = 1/(2π) * √(g/L), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the pendulum.

What factors can affect the small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum?

The small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum can be affected by the length and mass of the pendulum, as well as the acceleration due to gravity and any external forces acting on the pendulum.

How does the small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum differ from a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is made up of a single mass suspended from a string, while a rod and disk pendulum has a rod and disk attached to the mass. The small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum is typically higher than that of a simple pendulum, due to the added weight and complexity of the pendulum.

Why is the small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum important in scientific research?

The small oscillation frequency of a rod and disk pendulum is important in scientific research because it is used to measure the effects of gravity and external forces on a system. It can also be used to study the properties of different materials and their behavior under different conditions.