DrJohn: A Chemist's Journey from Research to Teaching to Computing

• Thread starter DrJohn
  • Start date
In summary, Dr. John's career journey has taken him from his roots as a chemist conducting research in a laboratory, to teaching others about the wonders of chemistry, to now using his expertise in computing. He has utilized his knowledge and skills in various fields to make a positive impact in the scientific community.
DrJohn
How did you find PF?
via a random search while passing the time
So I have two degrees in chemistry, my one true passion, and one in computing. I've done research in chemistry are several universities, published the results, of course, and taught at several universities and colleges, to all levels. Until we ran out of students, the accountants closed the department as we were not making enough money for the college, and I thought I'd try computing. But I am a chemist through and through.

Why the nickname Dr John, after all, he is a musician and I am a scientist? Well on some courses I took there were several other guys called John and someone asked a question among a group of us students, to which one reply was "Ask John" "Which John" "Dr John", me being the only one with a doctorate in the group of Johns, and the name stuck.

And while I no longer work in chemistry, I still like helping people with chemistry problems.

And my first post seems to have been deleted with a warning, probably because I posted a link to a part of an old website I wrote, where an alternative way to find a solution was given, with a tutorial on how to solve some problems.

Likes Astronuc, Wrichik Basu, berkeman and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Warnings are fine. I’ve gotten three is the last 13 months. The important thing is to use them to learn how this site works and not to take them personally. Some of the rules/rulings are debatable, but since the site ”works,” they are worth the price.

Welcome to PF!

Likes berkeman