Clarification on McMaster Rollers

• Thread starter thoain14
  • Start date
In summary, there are two hex-bore bearings pressed into the ends of the roller, and the hexagonal axle does not spin. A bearing failure will not cause the axle to rotate, preventing damage to the support structure. To drive the rollers, a belt-driven system is recommended. The L-shaped hex axle seen in the photo is called a roller conveyor bracket.
thoain14
I just wanted some clarification on how these rollers worked. All you would technically need to do is to build the frame and attach these to the frame and motorize it correct? Do you still need to add a bearing to the sides? If you do, how would you because the axle length on each side is about half an inch if not less for other rollers? I'm basically confused on whether the hex axle on the side spins as well or does it stay stationary and the roller frame spins. Thanks, any clarification would be helpful

Attachments

• 2277T413_1.9 Diameter Conveyor Roller.PDF
    114.1 KB · Views: 114
Engineering news on Phys.org
thoain14 said:
Do you still need to add a bearing to the sides?
No extra bearings are required. There are two hex-bore bearings pressed into the ends of the roller. The hex axle rod passes through both of those bearings.

thoain14 said:
I'm basically confused on whether the hex axle on the side spins as well or does it stay stationary and the roller frame spins.
The hexagonal axle does NOT spin. The hexagonal end of the shaft rests in a narrow slot that you provide to prevent the shaft from turning. The inner races of the hex-bore bearings are also prevented from rotating. The outer races rotate with the roller.

A bearing failure will not cause the axle to rotate. It will lock that roller. That will prevent continuous axle rotation from damaging the support structure.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/2277t413
See the column on the left for details of the ball bearings.

Likes thoain14 and Lnewqban
Okay, thank you! How would you go about motorizing this in a roller set high format (above the frame), while it not having any contact with the rollers itself (so something like chain and sprocket welded onto the roller)?

That is an idler roller. You need a drive roller, that has a solid, longer, round axle, with bearings external to the roller.

We do not yet know enough about your project to advise you how to drive the belt or rollers.
Will you be using a conveyor belt? or making a bare bed of rollers ?

Likes thoain14
Please, see:
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/...about-roller-conveyors-types-design-and-uses/

https://docs.rs-online.com/beca/0900766b8007c523.pdf

p1.jpg

Z1qMw0icpEx_.jpg

hex-axle-1024x469.png

Last edited:
Likes thoain14 and Baluncore
Baluncore said:
That is an idler roller. You need a drive roller, that has a solid, longer, round axle, with bearings external to the roller.

We do not yet know enough about your project to advise you how to drive the belt or rollers.
Will you be using a conveyor belt? or making a bare bed of rollers ?
I basically need to make a bare bed of rollers. I will be moving around insulated panels that will have to lay on the rollers with their longer side facing forward similar to how you would insert the tape into a VCR (so basically 1/3 of the panel will be hanging off the bed hence the above frame method). I need rollers that are about 5.5' - 6' long. Any suggestions on how I would motorize this up? I can't have this method touch the panel itself like using the sprocket and chain method mentioned above. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

Related to Clarification on McMaster Rollers

1. What are McMaster rollers?

McMaster rollers are specialized laboratory equipment used for mixing and blending samples in a controlled environment. They consist of a motorized base with adjustable rollers that rotate at a constant speed to create a gentle rocking motion.

2. How do McMaster rollers work?

The rollers on a McMaster roller are designed to rotate at a consistent speed, creating a gentle rocking motion that mimics the motion of hand mixing. This motion is ideal for mixing delicate samples without causing damage or introducing air bubbles.

3. What types of samples are suitable for McMaster rollers?

McMaster rollers are suitable for a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gels. They are commonly used in biology, chemistry, and pharmaceutical laboratories for mixing and blending samples such as cell cultures, DNA, and proteins.

4. How do I choose the right McMaster roller for my needs?

When choosing a McMaster roller, consider the size and weight of your samples, as well as the speed and motion required for your specific application. It is also important to ensure that the roller is compatible with the containers and tubes you will be using.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using McMaster rollers?

It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using McMaster rollers. This may include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring that the roller is placed on a stable and level surface. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the equipment to ensure safe and effective operation.