Dreams Shared: Adventures, Cheese Pigs and More

• Thread starter icvotria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dreams
In summary: I woke up and it was still red. In summary, the dream was about trying to paint a door several times.
icvotria
This is a thread to share any lovely or interesting dreams you can remember.
The other night I had a dream that the world was about to end. Me and all my loved ones rowed down this river on big logs, one person per log, and the water was completely black cos it was so clear and deep and still. Then we climbed a big green hill and there was a little black stone pub at the top with a nice-old-man landlord and we got drinks and sat on the hill and watched the world die. It was one of the best dreams I've ever had, it felt like a big adventure at first and then it felt really nice and peaceful and everyone was really happy and excited, and it was all really vivid. It was lovely. Last night I dreamt about cheese pigs. Perhaps I'll share that one later. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
icvotria said:
Last night I dreamt about cheese pigs. Perhaps I'll share that one later. :biggrin:
Is that pigs made out of cheese, or people who eat too much cheese? :confused:

Pigs that hunt cheese for sport. I have a varied psyche : )

GEEZE OH PEATS, HIDE THE CHEESE! THE CHEESE PIGS ARE COMMING!

I had a dream where a old dog I had came to talk to me, told me all kinds of doggy secrets. I woke up laughing.

icvotria said:
Pigs that hunt cheese for sport. I have a varied psyche : )
I've got to hear this one! So is the cheese sentient? Does the cheese get a fair head start?

Most of my dreams are more like feature length films with plots and sub plots and I am the director. They make perfect sense awake and could be films, or books. (I need to start writing them down) Except the fish with feathers dream. I was only a small child though and it's boring. :rolleyes:

Not as much fun as cheese pigs though.

Evo said:
I've got to hear this one! So is the cheese sentient? Does the cheese get a fair head start?
It wasn't sentient, I think I'd've worried about it if it was and wouldn't've enjoyed the dream so much. Poor scared cheese... :cry: It was one of those dreams that you sort of watch rather than are in. 'Cheese-pigging' was sort of like an adventure sport with a league, and the dream followed this family of four who had red, green and blue cheese pigs and they were really high up in the league. An old woman gave them a yellow cheese pig that was the best cheese pig in all the land, and was famed for it's speed in tracking down the most sort-after kinds of cheese, like cheddar and brie. Once they set the yellow cheese pig to work, the dream got really weird. This strange tinky-tink, game-showish music started playing and all these charts and graphs scrolled past, showing things like how much parmasan each cheese pig had found, or all the different types of cheese the yellow cheese pig had found, in bar charts and pie charts and line of best fit graphs, it was really odd. I never wondered about why the cheese needed hunting, I wish I had, there's a big hole in the narrative

icvotria said:
It wasn't sentient, I think I'd've worried about it if it was and wouldn't've enjoyed the dream so much. Poor scared cheese... :cry: It was one of those dreams that you sort of watch rather than are in. 'Cheese-pigging' was sort of like an adventure sport with a league, and the dream followed this family of four who had red, green and blue cheese pigs and they were really high up in the league. An old woman gave them a yellow cheese pig that was the best cheese pig in all the land, and was famed for it's speed in tracking down the most sort-after kinds of cheese, like cheddar and brie. Once they set the yellow cheese pig to work, the dream got really weird. This strange tinky-tink, game-showish music started playing and all these charts and graphs scrolled past, showing things like how much parmasan each cheese pig had found, or all the different types of cheese the yellow cheese pig had found, in bar charts and pie charts and line of best fit graphs, it was really odd. I never wondered about why the cheese needed hunting, I wish I had, there's a big hole in the narrative
OMG! :smile: :smile: This is the best dream I've ever heard! I love the charts! :smile:

I had a dream that I died once.

I was dressed like I was about to go out somewhere important, but I was painting a second story room. The paint looked kind of grey to me but I had the feeling it was supposed to be white. I remember looking out the window and I saw a dead tree. The tree used to have 3 main branches that all split off the same point of the trunk. Somebody had cut all the branches right at the level of the window. I remember thinking "Why would someone cut all the limbs off this tree and leave the trunk sitting in front of the window?"

Relatives and friends started coming in. I looked at my clothes and realized I had paint on me. The paint was the same color as my clothes and nobody could see it, but I could feel that it was there. Then, for no particular reason, I laid down in this shiny silver box with glass windows. A red light came from inside the box and I sat up without opening the box. There was a pile of ashes in the box.

There was an uncertain period of time and everyone left except my best friend. He looked upset. I thought about moving closer and I did. It wasn't a feeling like walking. It was like gliding. Then I realized that I was dead and I told my friend not to worry. I don't think he heard me. I started to go up to the white cieling and was feeling very happy. Then I suddenly stopped and became afraid. I went back into the silver box and the light turned green. Then I was alive again.

Huckleberry said:
That's creepy/scary!

Evo said:
That's creepy/scary!
It's the only time I ever remember dying in a dream. It really didn't feel creepy at the time. It was more curiosity that I felt rather than an emotional response.

I had this dream once that I was in the kitchenware section of a department store buying knives and the shop assistant said 'try this one, they're really sharp' and then sliced the side of my head with it. I treid to stop the bleeding but it was coming out too fast and was all gloopy in my hand and I had to throw globs of it on the floor, so I resigned myself to my fate and just as I was about to die, this voice over came on and said 'Or you could have died like this...' Then I woke up thank god so I never got to see how else I could've died. It was the most sinister thing in the whole world.

Where's that nutburger Freud when we need him?

Dreams are so odd. I don't know if that is frightening or hilarious. The experience would be frightening, but if I was to read that story in some tabloid inbetween the lizard boy who roams the Florida swamps and Jennifer Lopez's abduction by aliens, then I would find it hilarious. Thankfully, they are just dreams.

I wish that cheese pigs were real. Ooh, I just remembered another one where there were all these cooked chickens on spit roasts and I was watching them turn when someone whispered 'they're alive' in my ear and then every now and then one of the chickens' legs would twitch, or a chest would heave or something, it was horrid. :bugeye:

Huckleberry said:

me too ! few times. Only imagine how happy was I when I woke up !
my last bizarre dream was, I have been chased by Alien monster ( from the movie Alien ) in a chocolate factory and there were big metal containers of chocolate pieces and I instead of running away sat there and ate chocolate, :confused:

Danger said:
Where's that nutburger Freud when we need him?
Here!
Huckleberry said:
A few things about this dream suggest to me that it was precipitated by some waking rumination about what it would be like to die in a car accident.
Huckleberry said:
I was dressed like I was about to go out somewhere important..."Why would someone cut all the limbs off this tree and leave the trunk sitting in front of the window?"
According to Freud we often dream the end of the dream first, then go back to the beginning and dream to the middle. Huckleberry could get some insight into all these images by wrting down a list of what each element reminds him of. What does painting in good clothes remind him of? The tree in front of the window, etc.
Huckleberry said:
Then, for no particular reason, I laid down in this shiny silver box with glass windows. A red light came from inside the box and I sat up without opening the box. There was a pile of ashes in the box.
This all sounds like the funeral of someone killed in a car (silver box with glass windows = car, but also, here, ash-containing coffin). Red light is stop light/brake light, and in general, death (Stop! Proceed No Further!)
Hucklebery said:
There was an uncertain period of time and everyone left except my best friend. He looked upset. I thought about moving closer and I did. It wasn't a feeling like walking. It was like gliding. Then I realized that I was dead and I told my friend not to worry. I don't think he heard me. I started to go up to the white cieling and was feeling very happy. Then I suddenly stopped and became afraid. I went back into the silver box and the light turned green. Then I was alive again.
This all seems to mean something like this about your attitude to death: that it is probably more painful for loved ones and friends than for the person who dies. You give yourself the "greenlight" to live, more to avoid upsetting those around you, than from any fear of death.

I would bet that this dream was precipitated in part by some incident where you sensed some great fear of death on the part of your best friend (a subject that arose with some mention of death in a car accident?) that you weren't able to discuss with him. It is a scenario in which you try unsuccessfully, to comfort him, and perhaps yourself, too, about the thought of death.

icvotria said:
I had this dream once that I was in the kitchenware section of a department store buying knives and the shop assistant said 'try this one, they're really sharp'...
A woman dreams about a visit to her aunt's house where she must constantly avoid razors and knives that are sticking out of the walls everywhere. Her therapist figures out that these are the "cutting remarks" the woman has mentioned her aunt is constantly making, and which bother her very much.

Dreams images are often surreal visual manifestations of verbal phrases, turns of speech, idioms.

Evo said:
They make perfect sense awake and could be films, or books.
Robert Louis Stevenson dreampt all his books in just this very way.

Huckleberry said:
It's the only time I ever remember dying in a dream. It really didn't feel creepy at the time. It was more curiosity that I felt rather than an emotional response.

I had a weird dream the other day (probably related to posting that story about the ex-boyfriend in the other thread since he was in it). He and I were running from something together, across the tops of buildings. We lept to a ladder bolted to the roof to climb down, and the bolts gave way and we began to plummet toward the pavement below. I felt that awful free-fall feeling of your gut trying to get out your throat, and I just knew we weren't going to survive the fall and a calm came over me, hoping it would just be quick and painless. I grabbed him close, and just before we hit the ground, I told him, "I love you." We slammed into the ground together, rolled a few times, still tightly clinging together, laid there stunned for a few moments, and then realized we were still alive and somehow unharmed.

It was just so weird because I always wake up before I hit the ground when I fall in dreams...I didn't know I'd just roll and be okay. :-p

Wait, wait, before zooby interprets my dream, I can share my own interpretation! I fell in love with him. :smile: :smile:

Moonbear said:
Wait, wait, before zooby interprets my dream, I can share my own interpretation! I fell in love with him. :smile: :smile:
More importantly: you fell in love with him and survived!.

Moonbear said:
I always wake up before I hit the ground when I fall in dreams...I didn't know I'd just roll and be okay. :-p
It's not recommended that you try this while awake.

zoobyshoe said:
More importantly: you fell in love with him and survived!.

:biggrin: I read your part about dreams starting with the end though, and that left me wondering, am I now going to run away with him? :smile: Meh, probably writing that post about meeting him put that back in the forefront of my mind, that desire to run away with him (can't really say I ever stopped loving him even if he decided to head in a different direction, just try not to think about it).

Not touching the cheese pigs, eh?

icvotria said:

Were you hungry when you went to sleep? :biggrin: Sometimes a cheese pig is just a cheese pig. :smile:

zoobyshoe said:
Robert Louis Stevenson dreampt all his books in just this very way.
Hey zooby, I'll dream and you write it all down, we could be rich! Of course that means you'd have to sleep with me. :wink:

icvotria said:
They're good the way they are.

I'm going to go to sleep so I can get some new material. ****, it's 4.40! The sun's coming up! Get back down Sun, I'm not ready for you yet :zzz:

Evo said:
Hey zooby, I'll dream and you write it all down, we could be rich! Of course that means you'd have to sleep with me. :wink:
Hmmmmmm...thinking...thinking...drooling...drooling...droooooooolllliiiiinnnngg.....................

Evo said:

I think you may have just made zooby's dreams come true! :smile:

Oh Goody, Dream interpretations! These are always so much fun. :smile:

Hmm, it never occurred to me that the dream could have something to do with a car accident. Let's see... what experiences have I had with cars? When I was about 10 years old my friend and I were in a little car accident. His mother was driving us somewhere and a car hit us from behind. He got whiplash and his sister got her braces stuck on something. I always thought that was weird. My friend has not been in an accident since, although his sister was in a serious car accident several years ago.

I spent about two years driving around the country off and on. Lots of close calls and weird things happened during that time.

At the time I had the dream I didn't have a car. I had donated my old car an 88 Ford EXP. I do remember I was walking to school one day during the middle of winter and I was about to cross the road. I had just taken one step in front of a pick-up and the SUV behind him didn't stop for some reason. Could have been ice, or maybe he wasn't paying attention. He collided with the pick-up truck pretty hard. I don't remember seeing the collision coming, but for some reason I stepped back so fast I hadn't even registered the sound of the accident yet. The pick-up rolled right over where I was and missed me by inches. I checked to make sure everyone was alright. The guy in the SUV got out of his car. The guy in the pick-up looked like he might have hurt his neck, but he seemed like he didn't have any serious injuries. So I just walked to school, a bit upset at bad drivers. That incident and the dream could have been close to each other in time.

My brother-in-law has also been in a serious accident. One of his friends died and the 4 drunk teenagers in the other car all died. He was in a hospital for weeks and will probably have to walk with a cane for the rest of his life.

All this car talk reminds me of the time my uncle ran over himself. It would be a funny story if it wasn't so sad. He's okay btw.

What do the images remind me of? I'll just say the first thing that comes to my mind now. The dream is quite old. I might have said something completely different at the time.

The clothes remind me of my navy coveralls. I did a lot of painting and I hated ruining a good pair of coveralls and having to walk around in ratty paint-covered ones for a long time before I could get another pair.

The color of the paint seemed wrong to me. I think it was supposed to be white like the cieling, but it wouldn't come out right.

The tree reminds me of a family tree cut short. The tree was dead but it still stood. I felt it should have been cut at the base of the trunk. Didn't make sense to leave a dead tree around, especially when it blocks the view from the window.

I miss anything?

What about chasing dreams? I've had a recurring dream where I am chased by lions. There are a few different versions of this dream. The first few times it was one lion. I remember running through a pine forest. The lion was faster and stronger than I was. I wasn't running on the ground. I was leaping from tree to tree. I found that if I changed direction frequently I could outmaneuver the lion.

In another version of this dream there were two lions chasing me. They were always on opposite sides so no matter which way I leapt there was a lion there waiting for me. And they seemed faster than they were before. I felt that if I didn't think fast and if I slipped even once they would be right on top of me. I couldn't get away from them so I had to come up with a new tactic. I would grab the top of a tree and swing around on it to completely change direction. The lions could grab the trees and it took them a lot longer to turn around. By doing this I could avoid them, but couldn't really go anywhere.

The lions represent a person, or kind of person you find to be threatening. The number of lions in the dream represent the number of times you have been threatened by this person, or type of person. You've developed short term evasive tactics to deal with them, but don't yet know how to avoid being threatened by them altogether.

Huckleberry said:
"I did a lot of painting and I hated ruining a good pair of coveralls and having to walk around in ratty paint-covered ones for a long time before I could get another pair."

"The tree reminds me of a family tree cut short. The tree was dead but it still stood. I felt it should have been cut at the base of the trunk. Didn't make sense to leave a dead tree around, especially when it blocks the view from the window."
These two elements, then, ruining good clothes with paint, and the tree trunk, are pretty much literal memories, not much disguised for the dream.

Darn, I was hoping for something more exciting. I always enjoy a good story.

Huckleberry said:
Darn, I was hoping for something more exciting.
Well, get to work and dream up a new one.