Double Check My Conformal Mapping Steps for Quarter-Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses mapping steps for transforming a region from the quarter-plane to the upper half plane using a branch cut and transformation equations. It is important to double check and visually confirm the mapping to ensure accuracy.
elimenohpee

Homework Statement

Can someone double check my mapping steps I've taken?

The domain includes the quarter-plane Re(z)>0 and Im(z)>0, with a branch cut from the origin to the point [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]exp(pi*i/4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to map the region from the quarter-plane to the upper half plane Im(z)>0

To start this, I send the right most point of the branch cut to infinity by the transformation:

w1 = (z) / ( [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] - z)

does this make the branch cut lie from 0 -> infinity?

Then to send the quarter plane to the upper half plane, just square the previous transformation:

w2 = (w1)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
= (z) / ( \sqrt{3} - z)^2

it is important to always double check your work and make sure that your steps and calculations are correct. In this case, it seems like you have correctly mapped the quarter-plane to the upper half plane by sending the rightmost point of the branch cut to infinity and then squaring the transformation. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work by plugging in different points and making sure they are correctly mapped. Additionally, it may be helpful to graph the original and transformed regions to visually confirm the mapping. Keep up the good work!

Related to Double Check My Conformal Mapping Steps for Quarter-Plane

1. What is a conformal mapping?

A conformal mapping is a type of mapping in mathematics that preserves angles between intersecting curves. In other words, it is a mapping that maintains the shape of an object without distorting it.

2. What is the purpose of a conformal mapping in the quarter-plane?

A conformal mapping in the quarter-plane is used to transform a complex function into a simpler and more manageable form. It allows for the analysis and representation of complex functions in a more convenient region of the complex plane.

3. How do you double check your conformal mapping steps for the quarter-plane?

To double check your conformal mapping steps for the quarter-plane, you can compare your results with known conformal mappings for the quarter-plane. You can also use analytical or numerical methods to verify the accuracy of your mapping.

4. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when performing a conformal mapping in the quarter-plane?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when performing a conformal mapping in the quarter-plane include incorrect application of the mapping formula, incorrect selection of boundary points, and incorrect calculation of the derivative at the boundary points.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the conformal mapping process in the quarter-plane?

One tip for simplifying the conformal mapping process in the quarter-plane is to choose boundary points that are easy to work with, such as points that correspond to simple numbers or points that result in known conformal mappings. It is also helpful to break down the mapping into smaller, manageable steps.