Find analytic function that maps conformal

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analytic function that maps a region in the complex plane to the open unit disk, with specific points being mapped to other points. The conversation explores different approaches and methods for determining the function, including linear and Möbius transformations and polar inversion. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of determining certain points and their maps.
skrat

Homework Statement

Find analytic function ##f## that maps ##Re(z)>0## conformal on open unit disk; so that the point ##0## is a map of point:
a) ##1##,
b)##3##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having some troubles with these möbius transformations... Let me first start with examples and later continue with my solutions of the original problem.

The way I understand it, it is much easier to find a function that maps open unit disk into right half-plane. Therefore I tried to imagine that we at some point rip the unit disk apart; let that be at point ##1##, and send it to ##\infty ##. So ##f(1)=\infty ##. Now point on the opposite site of ##1##, that's ##-1## should by this logic go to ##0## and accordingly ##f(i)=i##.

This would than give me ##f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}=\frac{z-i}{-z-i}##. Now I would of course still have to find the inverse function, BUT let's go to problem a):

Following the written above (which obviously has to be wrong - I just don't know why). The problem wants that ##f(1)=0##, than by this logic ##f(-1)=\infty ## and ##f(i)=i##.

However, calculating ##a##, ##b##, ##c## and ##d## give me ##c=d=0##. NOT possible.

Since I don't want anybody to say that I didn't even try to find a solution, here is one that should work but I do not understand:

In my notes it says that for ##f(i)=0##, ##f(1)=i## and ##f(-i)=\infty ## I get a function ##f(z)=\frac{z-1}{-z-i}##. However, this maps ##i## to ##0## instead of ##1##.

Therefore I decided to go with ##f(z)=f_2\circ f_1##, where ##f_1(z)=-1+i## and ##f_2(z)=\frac{z-1}{-z-i}##. Both together give me ##f(z)=\frac{z-1}{-z+1-2i}##.

I guess my question here is: how do I determine where to map those first three points?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you want f(i) = i. What you know is |f(iy)|=1.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I don't understand why you want f(i) = i. What you know is |f(iy)|=1.

Only because I need three points and because I can't see why that would be impossible. No other reason.
How do I know that |f(iy)|=1?

skrat said:
Only because I need three points and because I can't see why that would be impossible. No other reason.
How do I know that |f(iy)|=1?
It is possibly the case, but you don't know that it is, so it might lead to a wrong answer.
I just realized I hadn't read the OP acurately. Your f is actually the inverse function, so I should have written |f-1(iy)|=1.
The original region and the target region are both open regions, so you need to map the boundary of one to the boundary of the other. The boundary of the source region includes the imaginary axis, iy, so this must be mapped to the circle |z|=1.
Also, I think choosing f(1)=∞ may be making life hard.
Are you familiar with polar inversion (I think that's what it's called)? You pick a point O and a radius r, and replace each point X in your diagram with a point X' where O, X and X' are collinear and OX*OX' = r2. This maps circles to circles, including the special cases of circles through O and straight lines (not through O) which get mapped to each other.
To make this relate to analytic functions we can add another twist, reflection. Inversion wrt the origin, radius 1, plus a reflection in the real axis, maps z to 1/z.
I mention this because I found it much easier to solve this problem by thinking terms of an inversion. In particular, I mapped +∞ to 0 first, then just subtracted 1 to get it to -1.
Sorry, this sounds all a bit confusing, but I'm trying to put you on the right track without giving away the whole answer.

This method may be much easier, but sadly this is not something we have ever done.
We only used linear transformations (rotations, translations and (something I don't know the english word :D but can be written as ##f(z)=az##)) and Möbius transformation.

I managed to find something here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Möbius_transformation#Specifying_a_transformation_by_three_points but this looks way more complicated than what we did.

Like I said, we usually determined three points and their maps and than calculate a,b,c and d. However I don't really how to determine them, because every time I seem to determine them wrong! -.-
If necessary I have a couple more examples which may be easier to understand than the original problem.

I do apologize for not taking a closer look into your method, however I do believe it would be better for me to master the method we used and than search for easier ones.

skrat said:
Like I said, we usually determined three points and their maps and than calculate a,b,c and d. However I don't really how to determine them, because every time I seem to determine them wrong! -.-
Ok, but I think trying to guess a map for i is the stumbling block. Try guessing maps (in the half plane to disk direction) for 0, 1 and ∞.

Related to Find analytic function that maps conformal

1. What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a function that is complex differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that it has a well-defined derivative at every point, and can be expressed as a power series expansion.

2. What does it mean to map conformal?

To map conformal means to preserve the angles between intersecting curves. In other words, a conformal mapping does not distort the shapes of curves or angles between them.

3. Why is it important to find an analytic function that maps conformal?

Conformal mappings have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They allow us to transform complex problems into simpler ones, and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of physical systems.

4. How do you find an analytic function that maps conformal?

There is no general method for finding an analytic function that maps conformal, as it depends on the specific problem at hand. In some cases, it may involve using known conformal mappings and composing them to achieve the desired result. In other cases, it may require using complex analysis techniques to construct the mapping.

5. Are there any limitations to finding an analytic function that maps conformal?

Yes, there may be limitations in finding an analytic function that maps conformal. Some shapes or domains may not have a conformal mapping, or the mapping may be too complex and not easily expressible. Additionally, finding the mapping may require advanced mathematical techniques and may not be feasible for all situations.