Conformal Mapping of Upper Half Plane from Unit Half Disc | Homework Solution

In summary, the goal is to find a conformal mapping f that maps the set V (where V = {z: |z| < 1 and Im(z) > 0}) to the upper half plane H+ (where H+ = {z | Im(z) > 0}). The suggested approach is to use a Mobius transformation S that maps 1 to 0, -1 to infinity, and 0 to -1. However, the attempt at a solution only results in a confusion as S already sends V to H+. Further guidance is needed to find the desired mapping.
Spriteling

Homework Statement

Find a conformal mapping f of the set V to the upper half plane H+ = {z | Im(z) > 0 where V = {z: |z| < 1 and Im(z) > 0}

Homework Equations

None, really. It's worth noting that V is the unit half disc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a Mobius transformation S that maps 1 to 0, -1 to infinity, and 0 to - 1. The question hints that I should consider the image of V under this mapping. I saw that S sends i to i. However, I don't really know where to proceed from there; it seems to me that S sends V to H+ straight away, so I'm rather confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the answer? Or is there something else I should consider? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Conformal Mapping of Upper Half Plane from Unit Half Disc | Homework Solution

1. What is conformal mapping and why is it important?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to map one geometric shape onto another while preserving angles. It is important because it allows us to study and analyze complex shapes by transforming them into simpler ones.

2. What is the Upper Half Plane and Unit Half Disc?

The Upper Half Plane is a geometric concept in complex analysis that consists of all complex numbers with positive imaginary parts. The Unit Half Disc is a geometric shape that is the top half of a circle with radius 1 centered at the origin.

3. How is the conformal mapping from the Upper Half Plane to the Unit Half Disc defined?

The conformal mapping from the Upper Half Plane to the Unit Half Disc is defined by the equation w = (1 + z)/(1 - z), where z is a complex number in the Upper Half Plane and w is the corresponding point in the Unit Half Disc.

4. Why is the conformal mapping from the Upper Half Plane to the Unit Half Disc useful?

This conformal mapping is useful because it allows us to transform complex shapes in the Upper Half Plane into simpler shapes in the Unit Half Disc, making it easier to study and analyze them. It also preserves angles, which is important in many applications.

5. How can the conformal mapping from the Upper Half Plane to the Unit Half Disc be used in real world applications?

The conformal mapping from the Upper Half Plane to the Unit Half Disc has applications in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and image processing. It can also be used in engineering and physics to study and analyze complex shapes and systems.