Divergence of 1/r^2; delta dirac's role

In summary, the divergence of 1/r^2 refers to the mathematical concept of the decrease in magnitude of a vector field with increasing distance from its source, following a proportionate relationship to the inverse square of the distance. This concept plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as the inverse square law of gravity and the electric field of a point charge. The delta dirac function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical representation of an instantaneous and infinitely strong point force. It is often used in conjunction with the inverse square law to accurately model physical systems. Together, these concepts are fundamental to understanding the behavior of various forces and fields in nature.
bladesong

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\nabla\frac{1}{r}[/itex], show [itex]\nabla\bullet\nabla\frac{1}{r}[/itex] = -4πδ(r), where δ(r) is the delta dirac function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used divergence theorem and also solved the equation itself, so I know that outright solving is zero and the divergence theorem gives -4π. But I'm not sure how to show the presence, or rather, how I get the delta dirac function. I understand its role and but not necessarily why it needs to be there. Any help on direction on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
bladesong said:

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\nabla\frac{1}{r}[/itex], show [itex]\nabla\bullet\nabla\frac{1}{r}[/itex] = -4πδ(r), where δ(r) is the delta dirac function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used divergence theorem and also solved the equation itself, so I know that outright solving is zero and the divergence theorem gives -4π. But I'm not sure how to show the presence, or rather, how I get the delta dirac function. I understand its role and but not necessarily why it needs to be there. Any help on direction on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Think of ##\nabla \frac{1}{r}## as an electrical field ##\mathbf{E}##, so that ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{E}## is its divergence. Now use Gauss' Law
http://www.deepspace.ucsb.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/033_Chapter-22-Flux-and-Gauss-Law-PML.pdf .

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Think of ##\nabla \frac{1}{r}## as an electrical field ##\mathbf{E}##, so that ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf{E}## is its divergence. Now use Gauss' Law
http://www.deepspace.ucsb.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/033_Chapter-22-Flux-and-Gauss-Law-PML.pdf .

RGV

Thank you for your prompt reply - this also makes it a little clearer. Seeing as this is a general mathematical property, is it simply enough to state this or is there some more rigorous proof needed?

i.e., I see now why at 0 it has the delta dirac, but not why ithe -4pi portion. This is the result of the integral - how does it fit back into the original divergence? Please pardon my ignorance - it's been a while.

bladesong said:
Thank you for your prompt reply - this also makes it a little clearer. Seeing as this is a general mathematical property, is it simply enough to state this or is there some more rigorous proof needed?

i.e., I see now why at 0 it has the delta dirac, but not why ithe -4pi portion. This is the result of the integral - how does it fit back into the original divergence? Please pardon my ignorance - it's been a while.

Just read the link; it's all there.

As for "rigour", well, that is another matter altogether, and it concerns the undeniable fact that δ(r) is not really a legitimate function at all---it is a so-called "distribution", or "generalized function". There are lots of different approaches to defining distributions and to proving results about them. The first few pages of http://www.math.umn.edu/~olver/pd_/gf.pdf
deal with the basic issues involved in the 1-dimensional case. Some of the same basic ideas carry over to the 3-dimensional case you are dealing with. For more material, Google "generalized functions".

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Divergence of 1/r^2; delta dirac's role

1. What is the significance of the "1/r^2" term in the divergence of 1/r^2?

The "1/r^2" term represents the inverse square law, which is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between the intensity of a force and the distance between two objects. In the context of divergence, it indicates that the strength of the divergence decreases as the distance from the source increases.

2. How does the divergence of 1/r^2 apply to different types of fields?

The divergence of 1/r^2 is a universal concept that can be applied to various types of fields, such as electric, magnetic, and gravitational fields. In each case, it represents the rate of change of the field strength with respect to distance from the source.

3. What is the role of the delta dirac function in the divergence of 1/r^2?

The delta dirac function is a mathematical tool used to represent a point source or singularity in a field. In the context of the divergence of 1/r^2, it is used to model the point source of the field, where the field strength is infinite at the source and decreases with distance according to the inverse square law.

4. How is the divergence of 1/r^2 related to the concept of flux?

The divergence of 1/r^2 is closely related to the concept of flux, which is a measure of the flow of a field through a surface. It can be calculated by integrating the divergence over the surface, and in the case of 1/r^2, it represents the total strength of the field emanating from the point source through the surface.

5. Can the divergence of 1/r^2 be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the divergence of 1/r^2 has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic waves, predicting the strength of gravitational forces between celestial bodies, and designing efficient antenna systems. It is a fundamental concept that is essential for understanding various phenomena in the natural world.