Using the Divergence Theorem on the surface of a sphere

In summary, the integral that I have to solve is a scalar, but the divergence theorem as you set it up in the equation yields a vector result.
TheGreatDeadOne
Homework Statement
Let a sphere of radius r_0 be centered at the origin, and r′ the position vector of a point p′ within the sphere or under its surface S. Let the position vector r be an arbitrary fixed point P.
Relevant Equations
Divergence theorem (it's not really necessary, but I'm trying to solve it that way)
The integral that I have to solve is as follows:

[tex]\oint_{s} \frac{1}{|r-r'|}da', \quad\text{ integrating with respect to r '}[/tex], integrating with respect to r'

Then I apply the divergence theorem, resulting in:

[tex]\iiint \limits _{v} \nabla \cdot \frac{1}{|r-r'|}dv' = \int_{0}^{r_0}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{(r-r')}{|r-r'|^3}r'^2\sin{\theta}d\theta d\phi dr'[/tex]

Integrating θ and φ we have:

[tex]4\pi \int_{0}^{r_0} \frac{(r-r')}{|r-r'|^3}r'^2 dr'[/tex]

And in that part I got stuck. I didn't try to solve it by integrating directly, because I'm still a bit confused. I know the result is:
[tex]\frac{4\pi r^{2}_{0}}{r} \quad\text{for} \quad r\geq r_0 \quad and \quad 4\pi r^{2}_{0}\quad for \quad r\leq r_0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a bit confused on which variation of divergence theorem you are using. Can you write it explicitly?

The final result is a scalar or a vector? It seems it is a scalar by what you say at the last sentence, but the divergence theorem as you set it up in the above equation it seems to give a vector result (r and r' are vectors right)?

TheGreatDeadOne said:
Homework Statement:: Let a sphere of radius r_0 be centered at the origin, and r′ the position vector of a point p′ within the sphere or under its surface S. Let the position vector r be an arbitrary fixed point P.
Relevant Equations:: Divergence theorem (it's not really necessary, but I'm trying to solve it that way)

The integral that I have to solve is as follows:

[tex]\oint_{s} \frac{1}{|r-r'|}da', \quad\text{ integrating with respect to r '}[/tex], integrating with respect to r'
What exactly is the vector-vector function you have to integrate over the surface of the sphere?

Delta2 said:
I am a bit confused on which variation of divergence theorem you are using. Can you write it explicitly?

The final result is a scalar or a vector? It seems it is a scalar by what you say at the last sentence, but the divergence theorem as you set it up in the above equation it seems to give a vector result (r and r' are vectors right)?
it's a scalar (lol I saw the error here, i forgot to fix it here)

ehild said:
What exactly is the vector-vector function you have to integrate over the surface of the sphere?
Delta2 said:

Sorry, I forgot to organize and correct something here. 1 / | r-r '| is a scalar, in my papers I was disregarding the module, forget that part of the divergence theorem.

Better we take things from start, you say you want to calculate $$\oint \frac{1}{|r-r'|}da'$$. The integrand is a scalar as you said, but what about da' is it scalar or vector (with direction the normal to the surface element da').

I have in mind two variations of the divergence theorem:
  1. $$\iiint_V \nabla\cdot\vec{F} dV=\oint_{\partial V} \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{A}$$
  2. $$\iiint_V \nabla f dV=\oint_{\partial V} f d\vec{A}$$
In 1. ##\vec{F}## is a vector but because we take the divergence in the LHS (and the dot product in the RHS) the final result is scalar.
in 2.## f## is a scalar but because we take the gradient of ##f ## in the LHS (and the multiplication of## f## by the vector surface element ##d\vec{A}## in the RHS) the final result is a vector

So which one are you using. I think you are using 2. with ##f=\frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}## but then the final result is a vector not a scalar.

But then again if I strictly follow your notation, you seem to take the divergence of a scalar, you write $$\nabla\cdot\frac{1}{|r-r'|}$$ while you should probably mean the gradient there.

I have to say this, in this thread and in the other thread with the gradient, your notation is a bit ambiguous, you seem to use the symbol r (or r') to denote both the position vector and the magnitude of the position vector interchangeably.

Last edited:

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the triple integral of the divergence of that vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. In simpler terms, it states that the net flow of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the sum of the sources and sinks of that vector field within the enclosed region.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used on the surface of a sphere?

The Divergence Theorem can be applied to any closed surface, including a sphere. In this case, the surface of the sphere acts as the boundary of the region enclosed by the sphere. The triple integral of the divergence of a vector field over this region can be calculated and compared to the flux of the vector field through the surface of the sphere.

3. What are the benefits of using the Divergence Theorem on the surface of a sphere?

Using the Divergence Theorem on the surface of a sphere allows for the calculation of the net flow of a vector field through the sphere without having to directly calculate the flux. This can be useful in situations where the flux is difficult to calculate, such as when the vector field is complex or the surface is irregular.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Divergence Theorem on the surface of a sphere?

The Divergence Theorem can only be applied to closed surfaces, so it cannot be used on open surfaces such as a cylinder or a cone. Additionally, the surface must be smooth and continuous, meaning it cannot have any holes or sharp edges. These limitations must be considered when using the Divergence Theorem on the surface of a sphere.

5. What are some real-world applications of using the Divergence Theorem on the surface of a sphere?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the net flow of a fluid through a closed surface, which is important in understanding fluid dynamics. It can also be used in electromagnetism to calculate the flux of an electric field through a closed surface, which is useful in designing electronic circuits and devices.