Valid Representation of Dirac Delta function

In summary, the Dirac Delta function has a similar form for x = 0, but requires that you verify that the integral is unity for all values of ε.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that this is a valid representation of the Dirac Delta function, where ε is positive and real:

[tex] \delta(x) = \frac{1}{\pi}\lim_{ε \rightarrow 0}\frac{ε}{x^2+ε^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help on how to start this one. I'm sure I can bring it to it's logical conclusion, but I have no starting point known.

I've tried looking for different definitions, but to no avail. Is there any hint that you can give me to start this?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Show that this is a valid representation of the Dirac Delta function, where ε is positive and real:

[tex] \delta(x) = \frac{1}{\pi}\lim_{ε \rightarrow 0}\frac{ε}{x^2+ε^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help on how to start this one. I'm sure I can bring it to it's logical conclusion, but I have no starting point known.

I've tried looking for different definitions, but to no avail. Is there any hint that you can give me to start this?
For a given value of x not equal to zero, what is ##\delta(x)##? If x = 0, what is ##\delta(x)##? Also, can you evaluate this integral? ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta(x)dx##?

Likes RJLiberator
If x = 0, the dirac delta function evaluates to infinity. If x =/= 0 then dirac delta function evaluates to 0.

So then, we let x = 0 and see that the limit of 1/ε goes to infinity.

Ok, that makes sense, but if we let x = 10, we get ε/(100+ε^2) which goes to 0. So it features the similar form of the Dirac Delta function.

RJLiberator said:
If x = 0, the dirac delta function evaluates to infinity. If x =/= 0 then dirac delta function evaluates to 0.

So then, we let x = 0 and see that the limit of 1/ε goes to infinity.

Ok, that makes sense, but if we let x = 10, we get ε/(100+ε^2) which goes to 0. So it features the similar form of the Dirac Delta function.
Yes, but as Mark44 mentioned, you still need to verify that the integral over all space is unity.

Oh, that's easy. I see now that it equals 1.

So, that's all the requirements needed then for the Dirac Delta representation. I see.

Thank you.

RJLiberator said:
Oh, that's easy. I see now that it equals 1.

So, that's all the requirements needed then for the Dirac Delta representation. I see.

Thank you.

No, not yet!

If ##\delta_{\epsilon}(x)## is your function before taking the limit, you still need to verify that
$$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta_{\epsilon}(x) f(x) \, dx = f(0)$$
for an appropriate class of test functions ##f(x)## or that
$$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \int_{-a}^b \delta_{\epsilon}(x) f(x) \, dx = f(0) $$
for any "reasonable" continuous function and any ##a, b > 0##.

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for the catch -- I saw your conversation earlier today (10am my time) and checked it with my homework. Thanks for going the extra mile to help me out here.

Related to Valid Representation of Dirac Delta function

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function used to represent a point mass or point charge in a system. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinitely tall and infinitely narrow.

2. How is the Dirac Delta function represented mathematically?

The Dirac Delta function is represented mathematically as δ(x), where x is the variable. It is defined as δ(x) = 0 for x ≠ 0 and δ(x) = ∞ for x = 0. However, since the function is not defined at x = 0, it is often represented by a limit of a sequence of functions.

3. How is the Dirac Delta function used in physics?

In physics, the Dirac Delta function is used to model point charges and point masses in systems. It is also used to represent the impulse response of a system, which is the output of a system when a Dirac Delta function is used as the input. It is also used in Fourier analysis to simplify calculations and solve differential equations.

4. What are the properties of the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function has several important properties, such as the sifting property, which states that when the function is integrated over a small interval containing the origin, it equals 1. It also has the scaling property, which states that when the function is scaled by a constant, the result is multiplied by the reciprocal of that constant.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Dirac Delta function?

One common misconception about the Dirac Delta function is that it is an actual function that can be evaluated at a certain point. In reality, it is a distribution or generalized function that cannot be evaluated at a specific point. Another misconception is that it equals infinity at the origin, when in fact it is only infinitely tall and narrow, not infinitely large.