Discuss the World Cup 2010: England vs. USA

In summary, the most exciting match on June 12th is the England v USA match. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in, but I'm rooting for the US to win.
A Holland v. Germany final would be one of the most fiercest matches in all of history. I have extremely high hopes that no South American team makes the final.

Physics news on Phys.org
I disagree with the referees awarding goals for fouls. I think a one game suspension is fair for Suarez and I think a team should definitely be able to convert a penalty kick. Everyone got what they deserved and Gyan has no one to blame but himself for missing the penalty kick.

I don't see the problem. It shouldn't even come down to a penalty kick.

It's not like awarding goals for fouls would become a commonality. These are very rare situations.

It doesn't seem right that a team could cheat, directly preventing a loss. Unless of course, you welcome cheating in the game and think of it as just another tool to win (not necessarily a bad thing).

All this aside, I hardly ever watch soccer and know little about it so my opinion isn't worth much anyways.

Paraguay - Spain.

Wow!

Good call on the first PK. Not a good shot, but a very nice job by the GK to prevent a rebound. But how many Spanish players had encroached by time he took the shot? I couldn't count them all.

Good call on the second PK, but that could have been a red card. Encroachment again, but barely (Edit: mmm, looking at a picture, I guess it's more than just barely as there's 3 Spanish players inside the circle by about one step, but that still looked pretty trivial compared to the first PK). I can't believe the referee ordered the retake. And a clear take down by the GK on the Spanish player. That should have been yet another PK.

And the scoring play - shot, post, rebound, shot post, post, goal! Holy cow! :smile:

Last edited:
Lol yeah bob. Did you see Villa's reaction? He went to run as if he had scored until he saw it had hit the post so he stopped and stared. hahaha

lisab said:
I'm not a big follower of this whole thing, but I feel like crying for Argentina.
"don't cry for me Argentina"

Ok for the semi's:
Uruguay - Netherlands (0-2) unless of course they falcon punch the ball again which will mean 0-1 :smile:

Germany - Spain (2-1)

I don't feel like acquiring points, but

Uruguay - Netherlands (0-1)

Germany - Spain (3-0)

I have high hopes for Ozil. The kid is a wizard.

Uruguay - Netherlands (1-3)

Germany - Spain (2-0)

Uruguay - Netherlands (1 - 2)

Germany - Spain (1 - 2)

Whoa! Semifinals are tomorrow and Wednesday! I don't want to get a zero again for not getting a prediction in.

Uruguay - Netherlands (0 - 1)
Germany - Spain (2 - 0)

Uruguay-Netherlands(1,2)
Germany-Spain(1,2)

Results for July 2nd & 3rd :

Netherlands-Brazil (2-1)
Uruguay-Ghana (1-1)
Argentina-Germany (0-4)
Paraguay-Spain (0-1)

Using the scoring system described in zomg's post (#338) above:

Scoring Table
Code:
Member       July 2+3 Score       Cumulative Score
-----------------------------------------------------
Monique           0+2                   34
D H               2+2                   34
Bob               0+1                   30
zomgwtf           2+2                   30
cristo            o+o                   28
Dadface           4+1                   23
Borg              0+o                   16
estro             o+o                   16

Please make sure scores are accurate.

Previous scores: [post]2780846[/post]Predictions with post times in CDT. Per post #24, entries must have CDT date of day before game day or earlier.

Monique, [post=2780579]Jun29-10, 04:02 PM[/post] and [post=2785050]Jul2-10, 05:03 PM[/post]
Netherlands-Brazil (0 - 2)
Uruguay-Ghana (1 - 0)
Argentina-Germany (1 - 0)
Paraguay-Spain (0 - 1)

0+0+0+2 pointsBobG, [post=2780942]Jun29-10, 08:44 PM[/post] and [post=2785083]Jul2-10, 05:40 PM[/post]
Netherlands-Brazil (1-3)
Uruguay-Ghana (2-0)
Argentina-Germany (2-1)
Paraguay-Spain (0 - 2)

0+0+0+1 pointszomgwtf, [post=2780947]Jun29-10, 08:47 PM[/post] and [post=2785329]Jul2-10, 10:36 PM[/post]
Netherlands - Brazil (1-2)
Uruguay - Ghana (1-1) (Ghana winning in shootout HOPEFULLY)
Argentina - Germany (1-2)
Paraguay - Spain (1-3)

0+2+1+1 pointsMr.Penguin, [post=2781489]Jun30-10, 07:48 AM[/post] and <no entry>
Netherlands vs. Brazil (0-3)
Uruguay vs. Ghana (1-0)

0+0+o+o pointsBorg, [post=2782848]Jul1-10, 06:24 AM[/post] and [post=2785488]Jul3-10, 03:36 AM[/post] (too late)
Netherlands - Brazil (1 - 2)
Uruguay - Ghana (2 - 0)
Argentina-Germany (1 - 0) (late)
Paraguay-Spain (1 - 3) (late)

0+0+o+o pointsD H, [post=2782860]Jul1-10, 06:35 AM[/post] and [post=2785113]Jul2-10, 06:17 PM[/post]
Netherlands - Brazil (1 - 1)
Uruguay - Ghana (1 - 1)
Argentina-Germany (1 - 2)
Paraguay-Spain (0 - 2)

0+2+1+1 pointsDadface, [post=2783137]Jul1-10, 11:13 AM[/post] and [post=2785041]Jul2-10, 04:52 PM[/post]
Netherlands-Brazil(2,1)
Uruguay-Ghana(1,1)
Argentina-Germany(2,2)
Paraguay-Spain(1,2)

2+2+0+1 points

Holy Mackerel, D H! The job is yours for the Semis and the Final!

Gokul43201 said:
Holy Mackerel, D H! The job is yours for the Semis and the Final!

Tell me about it. :-p.

And you can't say no DH :smile:

Hmm. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest, given that I'm now tied for first? Giving that job to someone in fourth or fifth place would probably be much fairer to all.

Germany - Spain (2 - 1)

Borg
I think you have mistake
Uruguay - Netherlands (2-1)
Germany - Spain (2 - 1) - this is better :)

Kurdt said:
Break out the Mamajuana. :wink:

:cry: not anymore... Oh well Good luck Uruguay.. Anyway looks to me this world cup belongs to the trio Klose-Podoslki-Muller.. nicely played Germany.

lepori said:
Borg
I think you have mistake
Uruguay - Netherlands (2-1)
Germany - Spain (2 - 1) - this is better :)

No, I posted what I think it will be:
Germany - Spain (2 - 1)

Feel free to make your own predictions if you disagree.

I'm pretty sure he was joking Borg.

Perhaps it might be interesting if on the last game you can bet points like in double jeopardy.

brushman said:

Perhaps it might be interesting if on the last game you can bet points like in double jeopardy.

Lol we've already had someone say that if another person got their prediction correct they would give them points :-p. It was in the second or third week. hahaha

Hmm sucks I won't be able to fully watch todays game :cry: have to go to work.

brushman said:

Yes, I understood that it was a joke. :rolleyes:

Great, now I'm the one that looks like an idiot.

err a wait, I was joking too

brushman said:
Great, now I'm the one that looks like an idiot.

err a wait, I was joking too

I just found it odd that lepori's first post ever was to tell me that.

Oooo tied game 1-1 come on Netherlands!

Ned 2-1 thanks to a goal by Sneider. Slightly controversial due to the positioning of a potentially-offside attacker.

3-1 Orange.

We WoOOOOOOOOOoN!

Ssshhh! Don't yell so loud. Robben might lose balance and fall.

<runs and hides>

PS: Glad that Uruguay got knocked out.

Gokul43201 said:
Why? are you from Africa? (thinking of SA and Ghana eliminations). Uruguay seemed to be a pretty scrappy outfit that might have made for an exciting final.

turbo-1 said:
Why? are you from Africa? (thinking of SA and Ghana eliminations). Uruguay seemed to be a pretty scrappy outfit that might have made for an exciting final.
Ummm ... Suarez handball?

Ha! Netherlands gets another crack at World Cup finals frustration!

Last time Netherlands played Germany in a World Cup final, Netherlands scored on a penalty kick in the first minute of the game before any German player ever touched the ball.

Gokul43201 said:
Ssshhh! Don't yell so loud. Robben might lose balance and fall.

<runs and hides>

PARTY ! :biggrin:

But I'll be missing the finals, because I'll be on a 16h flight :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Nooo :cry:

Last edited:
Monique said:
PARTY ! :biggrin:

But I'll be missing the finals, because I'll be on a 16h flight :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Nooo :cry:

At 16 hours, they might be broadcasting the game on the plane. They have all sorts of fancy crap for long international flights

Office_Shredder said:
At 16 hours, they might be broadcasting the game on the plane. They have all sorts of fancy crap for long international flights
I've only once had in-chair entertainment in the past 10 years, but since I'm flying KLM I'm expecting (demanding) in-flight broadcasting