Discuss the World Cup 2010: England vs. USA

In summary, the most exciting match on June 12th is the England v USA match. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in, but I'm rooting for the US to win.
Germany - Serbia (3 - 0)
Slovenia - USA (0 - 1)
England - Algeria (2 - 0)

Physics news on Phys.org
Back to Bob's entangled rules thread:

BobG said:
There's a reason both of the last games in each group have to start at the same time. Everyone hopes to prevent the fiasco of the West German-Austria match in the 1982 World Cup in which both clubs kicked the ball around the field aimlessly for the last 80 minutes of the match.

The June 22 Mexico v. Uruguay match might well be a replay of that West German-Austria match. A tie between Mexico and Uruguay means both teams advance, with Uruguay the #1 team and Mexico #2.

Since France is almost out of the game I now fully root for Argentina (I live here since 2006). I'll bet on them to reach the final.

zomgwtf said:
Argentina scored 3 with a hat trick to Higuain.
The middle one of those was clearly off-sides - hence, the 2 "legal" goals!

England shall clearly win 10-0 . :smile:

And no I'm not mad.

Germany - Serbia (2 - 0)
Slovenia - USA (1 - 1)

D H said:
Back to Bob's entangled rules thread:

The June 22 Mexico v. Uruguay match might well be a replay of that West German-Austria match. A tie between Mexico and Uruguay means both teams advance, with Uruguay the #1 team and Mexico #2.

A tie and Mexico gets to face Argentina in the next round instead of South Korea. And nobody makes up a difference of 4 in goal differential in the last group game! I think the benefits of going for it outweigh the risks.

A difference of 6 in goal differential, maybe, but surely not 4!

Hmm, come to think of it, that was just a year ago in South Africa in the Confederation Cup.

Yeah, both teams might have noted the bizarre end to last year's group stage.

Germany - Serbia (2 - 0)
Slovenia - USA (0 - 1)

Germany - Serbia (3-0)
Slovenia - USA (0-1)
England - Algeria (2-0)

Results:
France - Mexico (0-3)
Greece - Nigeria (2-1)
Argentina - South Korea (4-1)

Scoring Table
Code:
Member      June 17 Score      Cumulative Score
-----------------------------------------------
zomgwtf           2                   8
brothertime       2                   4
D H               1                   12
cristo            1                   11
Bob               1                   10
Monique           1                   9
estro             1                   9
Dadface           1                   6
kakarotyjn        -                   4
rootX             -                   4
Gokul             -                   8  
jreelawg          -                   1
lewdtenant        -                   1

Hmm I've noticed a few people appear to have dropped out.

Gokul43201 said:
The middle one of those was clearly off-sides - hence, the 2 "legal" goals!

That's the problem with referees. When they are fair judges they still can't see everything. Argentina should have scored 1 more goal in the 2006 world cup (first match they played if I remember well) but the referee didn't say anything. To me, Higuain just took this goal back to his team. Maybe not legal, but fair to my eyes. :smile:
Too bad the FIFA doesn't want the use of any camera to help the referees when they doubt about what happened. This would make the game fairer, although I understand that giving red and yellow cards is still somewhat subjective but the cameras' use could at least define almost all offsides quite well.
For a very, very bad referees decisions, see the 2002 world cup. This makes the tournament more of a joke. The best team doesn't always win, it has a greater probability to win though. Therefore by playing more games the best team would have more chance to win the tournament. Actually it's possible that a team that draws 3 matches and win the last 4 matches can claim itself the world champion while it hasn't played most of the teams nor did it win against almost 50% of the teams...
Although knowing this tournament is a pure joke in terms of "the best team wins it", I still can't miss a single match of Argentina or France.

Germany - Serbia (2-0)
USA - Slovenia (2-1)
England - Algeria (3-0)

Germany - Serbia (1-0)
USA - Slovenia (0-1)
England - Algeria (1-0)

Another shock result. Serbia beat Germany 1-0 and Germany miss a penalty. The game was completely affected by such a fussy referee.

Wow, Serbia beats Germany... Slovenia is beating USA 2-0... WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

2-2 now, but this is the most idiotic refereeing I've seen in a while!

Gokul43201 said:
2-2 now, but this is the most idiotic refereeing I've seen in a while!

You know I have to agree. I thought the officials from the France - Mexico game made some retarded calls but it's only getting worse since yesterday. It really ruins the game, even for just us people at home watching it, when there is garbagety refereeing going on it just makes for a horrible game to watch.

I'm disappointed so far, low quality football and blind referees...
Do you remember the last Euro this what I call football.

One would think that FIFA would be trying to address the serious problems with this Cup: Poor refereeing, low scores, empty stands. But NOOO, in FIFA's minds, the biggest problem in this Cup is some scantily-clad Dutch chicks wearing a logo of some company that did not pay the requisite advertising fees.

Disappointing game by England. They played horrible... this World Cup hasn't been all that great in my opinion.

I'm speechless- was on a plane for the last game and only just heard the score. Wow!

Did you guys see the dove that was sleeping on the Algerian goal? Lol

neth-jap 2-1
gha-aus 1-0
cam-den 1-1

I saw the third US goal on the news. I don't know anything about soccer but, from the looks of it, neither does the ref. :rolleyes:

Is it legal for the Slovenian players to hang on the US players like that?

US should have won that... :frown:

ƒ(x) said:
US should have won that... :frown:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bribery scandal after a call like that. From what I have heard though, bad calls have been pretty common. It's a shame to get gut-kicked like that though. The US really fought hard to come back from that far behind. They deserved to win.

*annoyed*

today was crazy.

ned - jap (2-0)
gha - aus (2-0)
cam - den (0-1)

Ned-jap (2-1)
gha-aus (0-1)
cam-den (0-1)

That was some bad refereeing in the US game.

The phantom foul that negated the goal was the worst. Giving the yellow instead of the red on a last man foul was second worst. The caution on Finley was third worst. Failing to card Dempsey in the first minute was fourth worse (either color would have been acceptable).

Still, what an exciting second half! Whew!

I only saw the end of Germany-Serbia, but I this was a schocker. Red card on Klose and a missed penalty kick?

Last edited:
Netherlands - Japan (1 - 0)
Ghana - Australia (2 - 0)
Cameroon - Denmark (2 - 1)

Personally, I'm embarrassed that the best the US could do against a team that tied Algeria 0-0 was come out with a tie. If you can't beat a team that can't score against Algeria, you don't deserve to go to the knockout round.

Netherlands - Japan (2 - 1)
Ghana - Australia (2 - 0)
Cameroon - Denmark (1 - 0)

Netherlands - Japan (2-1)
Ghana - Australia (1-0)
Cameroon - Denmark (2-0)

Netherlands-Japan(2,0)
Ghana-Australia(1,1)
Cameroon-Denmark(0,1)

netherlands - japan (2-1)
ghana - australia (1-0)
cameroon - denmark (2-0)