Differentials/ second order/ electrical vibration

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives and is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change. First order differential equations involve the first derivative of a function, while second order differential equations involve the second derivative and are more complex. In electrical engineering, differential equations are used to model and analyze electrical circuits and systems, predict their behavior, and design and optimize them. Second order electrical vibration refers to the oscillation of an electrical system described by a second order differential equation, and it has many real-world applications in electronic circuits, power systems, and control systems. It is also used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers to ensure their stable and efficient operation.
ttttrigg3r

Homework Statement

A simple series circuit has an inductor of 1 henry, a capacitor of 10^-6 farads, and a resistor of 1000 ohms. The initial charge on the capacitor is zero. If a 12V battery is connected is connected to the circuit, and the circuit is closed at t=0, find the charge on the capacitor 1 second later and the steady state charge.

From this I know initial current =0

The Attempt at a Solution

Q''+1000Q'+10^6Q=0
Q(t)=C1(e^(-500t))cos(500sqrt(3)t)+C2(e^(-500t))sin(500sqrt(3)t)
I got that far. now if I used Q(0)=0 and Q'(0)=0 I get C1=C2=0 which I think is wrong. Can someone help? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. Based on the given information, I can help you find the charge on the capacitor after 1 second and the steady state charge.

First, we can use the formula Q=CV to find the initial charge on the capacitor. Since the initial voltage is 0, the initial charge on the capacitor will also be 0.

Next, we can use the formula Q(t)=Q0(e^(-t/RC)) to find the charge on the capacitor after 1 second. Plugging in the values, we get Q(1)=0(e^(-1/1000*10^-6))=0. This means that after 1 second, the charge on the capacitor will still be 0.

Finally, to find the steady state charge, we can use the formula Q=CV. Since the circuit is closed, the capacitor will eventually become fully charged and the current will stop flowing. This means that the steady state charge will be equal to the maximum charge that the capacitor can hold, which is given by Q=CV=12V*10^-6F=0.012C.

In summary, after 1 second, the charge on the capacitor will be 0 and the steady state charge will be 0.012C. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Differentials/ second order/ electrical vibration

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and the rate at which that function is changing.

2. What is the difference between first and second order differential equations?

A first order differential equation involves the first derivative of a function, while a second order differential equation involves the second derivative. This means that a second order equation is more complex and can describe more dynamic systems.

3. How are differential equations used in electrical engineering?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze electrical circuits and systems. They can be used to predict the behavior of electrical components and systems and to design and optimize them.

4. What is second order electrical vibration?

Second order electrical vibration refers to the oscillation or vibration of an electrical system that is described by a second order differential equation. This can occur in systems with capacitors, inductors, and resistors that are connected in a series or parallel configuration.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order electrical vibration?

Second order electrical vibration has many practical applications, including in electronic circuits, power systems, and control systems. It is also used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers to ensure their stable and efficient operation.