Capacitor Questions Charging and Discharging

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of capacitance, charge, and energy stored in a capacitor. It also explores the relationship between capacitance and voltage, as well as the process of discharging a capacitor. The equation for calculating the charge stored on each capacitor is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about finding the electrical energy provided by a battery and a hint about using the definition of potential difference to solve it.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have been teaching myself about capacitors recently and although I feel I have understood the fundamental principles and equations I am still a little uncertain of pertinent information and the functioning of capacitor circuits. I have been attempting to improve my understanding through some relatively straight-forward questions but I still have a few questions here which have confronted with material I have not learnt about. I have attached a couple of such questions below which I would really appreciate if anyone could explain in further detail and overlook my workings 👍

Question 1: A 22 μF capacitor is charged using a 12 V battery.
a. Find the charge is stored on the capacitor?
b. Calculate how much energy is stored on the capacitor?
c. How much electrical energy has the battery provided?
d. Comment upon the difference between your previous two answers and explain why this occurs?

Question 2:
Two capacitors, of capacitance 22μF and 11μF respectively, are connected in series to a 12 V battery. What is the charge stored on each capacitor and the PD across each capacitor? If the combination is then discharged through a resistor, what total charge flows through the resistor?
Relevant Equations
C=Q/V
E=1/2CV^2
Question 1:

a. I am aware that the general equation for capacitance is C=Q/V thus Q=CV.
22 μF = 0.000022 or 2.2*10^-5 F
Would the charge stored by equal to Q=2.2*10^-5*12
Thus, Q=2.64*10^-4 C

b. The energy stored by a capacitor is given by E=1/2QV=1/2CV^2=1/2Q^2/C
I think with the information provided it would be most appropriate to use E=1/2QV^2 here.
Hence, E=1/2*2.2*10^-5*12^2
E=1.584*10^-3 J

c. I do not know how to find the electrical energy provided by the battery, although I assume this is rather a simple question. I have just not read anything regarding this specific line of inquiry therefore I am at a brick wall in terms of finding a solution.

d. Again, I am uncertain. Would this difference be on account of half of the energy being supplied by the battery being lost to heat in the circuit? I do not really know why the energy provided by the battery and the energy stored by the capacitor are different. Since the capacitor begins with zero stored energy but as the current flows, the capacitor charges requiring greater increases in the voltage input until it is fully charged. At this point there would not be a voltage difference yet the accelerated charges are still moving. Therefore, would half of the energy go into the capacitor and half go into the current in the wire. The current will continue to flow, charging the capacitor until the current stops. So would half of the energy supplied be dissipated in the resistance in the circuit?

Question 2;
22μF=2.2*10^-5 F
11μF=1.1*10^-5 F
To find the charge stored on each capacitor I believe that one must first find the equivalent total capacitance of the circuit, since the charge would be the same on both capacitors. Since the capacitors are said to be in series the total capacitance would be equal to 1/CT=1/C1+1/C2+...1/Cn
Thus, 1/CT=1/22+1/11=3/22
CT=22/3=7.3333...μF or 7.3 *10^-6 F

Then, Q=CV
Q=7.3 *10^-6*12
Q=8.796*10^-5 C ~ 8.8*10^-5 C

To find the p.d. across the first 22μF capacitor
V=Q/C
V1= 8.8*10^-5/2.2*10^-5
V1=3.9981 ~4.00 V

To find the p.d. across the second 11μF capacitor
V=Q/C
V1= 8.8*10^-5/1.1*10^-5
V1=7.9963 ~8.00 V

I am not certain how to find the charge flowing through the resistor, would this be using the discharging charge equation Q=Q0e^-t/RC?
But how would I calculate this without knowing the resistance or the time to discharge? I am sorry I am having great difficulty here. 😳

Physics news on Phys.org
AN630078 said:
c. I do not know how to find the electrical energy provided by the battery
Do you know the expression for the power that a source provides ?

And do you know how the charging process of a capacitor proceeds as a function of time ?

( check here and possibly under 'time domain considerations' here)

Of course part d) has to wait

##\ ##

AN630078 said:
But how would I calculate this without knowing the resistance or the time to discharge?
The nice thing here is that you don't have to know: The capacitors discharge until there is no more voltage over the resistor. Takes a short time for a small R and a long time for a big R, but in both cases it finishes when V = 0 and we know what that means for the charge !

##\ ##

AN630078 said:
##\dots## it would be most appropriate to use E=1/2QV^2 here.
That would be most inappropriate. The three equivalent expressions for the stored energy are $$E=\frac{1}{2}QV=\frac{1}{2}CV^2=\frac{1}{2}\frac{Q^2}{C}.$$

AN630078 said:
c. I do not know how to find the electrical energy provided by the battery, although I assume this is rather a simple question. I have just not read anything regarding this specific line of inquiry therefore I am at a brick wall in terms of finding a solution.
The definition of potential difference (V) is essentially V = E/Q.

This means when a charge (Q) moves through a potential difference (V), the energy transferred is E = QV.

Can you apply this to the charge which has passed through the battery?

Edit -typo's corrected.

1. How does a capacitor charge and discharge?

A capacitor charges by storing electrical energy in the form of an electric field between two conductive plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. The capacitor discharges when the voltage is removed, as the stored energy is released.

2. What factors affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

The rate of charging and discharging of a capacitor is affected by the capacitance (size) of the capacitor, the voltage applied, and the resistance in the circuit. A higher capacitance or voltage will result in a faster charging and discharging time, while a higher resistance will slow down the process.

3. How long does it take for a capacitor to charge and discharge?

The time it takes for a capacitor to charge and discharge depends on the capacitance and resistance in the circuit. A larger capacitor or lower resistance will result in a longer charging and discharging time. However, it typically takes only a few milliseconds for a capacitor to charge or discharge.

4. Can a capacitor hold a charge indefinitely?

No, a capacitor cannot hold a charge indefinitely. Over time, the charge on a capacitor will slowly leak away due to the resistance in the circuit. This process is known as self-discharge. However, some capacitors, such as supercapacitors, have a longer discharge time compared to traditional capacitors.

5. What are some practical applications of capacitors in charging and discharging?

Capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices to store and release electrical energy. They are used in flash cameras to provide a quick burst of light, in power supplies to smooth out voltage fluctuations, and in audio equipment to filter out unwanted noise. They are also used in electric vehicles to store energy from regenerative braking and release it to assist with acceleration.