Differential Geometric Methods in Biology

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of differential geometric and physical methods in biology, specifically in evolutionary theory, game theory, population ecology, and quantum physics. There are references provided for further reading on the topic.
Metmann
Dear members,

Do you maybe know some good reference for the application of differential geometric methods in biology, especially evolutionary theory, game theory, population ecology. I kinda feel that the application of mathematical methods in biology in general is a field of increasing interest.
You got any experience, references, etc? Has it even been applied yet?

Maybe a second question: What about physical methods (e.g. path integrals or other quantum methods)? I know some papers by Baez, but anything else?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards
M

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
There are a couple of PF videos posted recently on Mathematics in Biology.
Also, the Science Festival on Youtube has a special session on quantum physics application in biology.

Likes Metmann
I am not as malicious towards theorists as most biologists are, but the phrase did come to mind "I have this fantastic solution, has anyone got a problem which it is of?"
Hope I'm wrong. :oldsmile:
:oldruck:

epenguin said:
"I have this fantastic solution, has anyone got a problem which it is of?"

I didn't understand this.

Metmann said:
Dear members,

Do you maybe know some good reference for the application of differential geometric methods in biology, especially evolutionary theory, game theory, population ecology. I kinda feel that the application of mathematical methods in biology in general is a field of increasing interest.
You got any experience, references, etc? Has it even been applied yet?

Maybe a second question: What about physical methods (e.g. path integrals or other quantum methods)? I know some papers by Baez, but anything else?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards
M

Many applications come to mind, actually. Here's three (one is related to the recent Nobel prize in Physiology):

http://www.springer.com/us/book/9780387989921
http://bookstore.siam.org/fr34/
http://epubs.siam.org/doi/book/10.1137/1.9781611970517

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using the techniques of calculus. It focuses on the study of smooth, curved objects and their geometric properties.

How is differential geometry used in biology?

Differential geometry is used in biology to study and analyze biological shapes and structures, such as protein molecules, DNA, cell membranes, and organs. It helps to understand the complex and intricate geometries of these structures and how they function in biological systems.

What are some common applications of differential geometric methods in biology?

Differential geometric methods are commonly used in biology to study biological shape and form, growth and development, movement and locomotion, and evolutionary processes. They are also used in biomedicine for medical imaging and understanding the structure and function of tissues and organs.

What are some key concepts in differential geometry that are important in biology?

Some key concepts in differential geometry that are important in biology include curvature, torsion, geodesics, and manifolds. These concepts help to describe the shape, size, and orientation of biological structures and how they change over time.

What are some resources for learning more about differential geometric methods in biology?

There are many resources available for learning more about differential geometric methods in biology, including books, online courses, and research articles. Some recommended books include "Geometric Methods in Bio-Medical Image Processing" by Dimitris Metaxas and "Differential Geometry and Its Applications" by John Oprea. Online courses on Coursera and edX also offer classes on differential geometry and its applications in biology. Additionally, academic journals such as "Journal of Differential Geometry" and "Journal of Mathematical Biology" publish research articles on this topic.