Hello Reality Anyone familiar with the Davisson-Germer Experiment?

In summary, the Davisson-Germer Experiment was conducted in 1927 and proved the wave-particle duality of matter. This experiment challenged our traditional understanding of reality and showed that matter can behave in ways that are not easily explained by classical physics. It is also one of the key experiments that led to the development of quantum mechanics. The results of the experiment showed that electrons can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, and this is important because it bridged the gap between classical physics and quantum mechanics, leading to a better understanding of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.
achillesheels
How did you find PF?
Searching for the Lorentz Harmonic Oscillator
Greetings,

I'm happy to find such an enthusiastic community with an encyclopedic knowledge and mathematical rigor. I'm a Biomedical Engineering Researcher that's had to breach into the world of condensed matter physics to better understand the physical principles of the piezoelectric crystal oscillator. My goal is to understand these physical principles using linear classical mechanical modeling in order to find a mathematical correspondence/consistency with the electrical engineering model of the crystal's electromechanical effects (I like to be thorough).

I was unfamiliar with the physics behind the mathematics of the engineering sciences (linear time-invariant systems theory) and went down a very interesting path to understand the mathematical science's ability to model physical reality: applying it to the Davisson-Germer experiment (see Nobel Prize address and experiment summary from Physics Today). Upon inspection, I learned that the original experimenters did not much consider the thermal or radiation effects of the crystal in the interaction with the electron beam - they used a geometrical optics frame of reference of the electron "wave" phenomenon, i.e. "Bragg's Law". My further literature review (I was enlightened to learn crystallography was very cutting edge coinciding the quantum discoveries of the early 20th century! :smile:) did not have a satisfactory mathematical model of the atomic electromagnetic effects in the crystallography science. There is some mathematical effort at harmonic analysis, i.e. reciprocal space, to realize the self-evident "lattice" vibrations, and thermodynamic considerations, i.e. The Debye Model, but not a mathematical model which can justify the electromechanical effects of matter when disturbed by an electromagnetic force, i.e. physical causality independent of time (or "frequency-dependent" causes).

I am on this site to help better understand the feasibility of the Lorentz Harmonic Oscillator model and its application in explaining the periodical intensity pattern from the Davisson-Germer experiment. This compels a more sophisticated observation of the phenomenon which involves a classical mechanical diagram of the polarization of the nickel crystal upon electron elastic collision (or a "driven damped harmonic oscillator" of the dipole moment). This permits the interpretation of the Davisson-Germer electron diffracted intensity pattern as simple harmonic motion caused by a linear restoring force of the electromechanical material resonance (by the nickel ions) when effected by a DC input (the electron beam) and motivates the general understanding of the crystal harmonic oscillator phenomenon as a linear time-invariant event.

This interpretation can motivate a more general representation of physical causes as theoretically linear time-invariant electromechanical frequency responses due to the theoretically scalar (linear) nature of the mathematical graphical diagramming (block diagram representation). And this dielectric material interpretation permits modeling the DNA molecule as an analog filter (indeed DNA conductance and polarity has been demonstrated in the scientific literature). This would be valuable to my research's objective of formalizing a mathematical model of biological cellular replication, i.e. evolutionary biology, as bounded discrete-time control systems.

I've attached some of the references I have compiled in better understanding the classical mechanical model and would appreciate any feedback on its application in the presented hypothesis.

Sincerest Regards,

Joseph A. Hazani

Attachments

• the discovery of the electron wave davisson nobel lecture.pdf
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
  • davisson germer 50 years later.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • lorentz oscillator.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • interaction of atoms and electromagnetic waves.pdf
    463.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Section 05_Lattice_Vibrations.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
  • lorentz oscillator.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 27-Metals drude model.pdf
    553.9 KB · Views: 10
Physics news on Phys.org
You officially now hold the record for the longest intro post. Congrats, and Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Lol I try to make an entrance :-p and thanks!

achillesheels said:
I've attached some of the references I have compiled in better understanding the classical mechanical model and would appreciate any feedback on its application in the presented hypothesis.

We are very glad to have you on PF. Unfortunately, these new member intro posts are read by relatively few PF members. You'll get better discussions with a few specific posts in the appropriate forum.

But if your intent is to advance the state of the art, PF is not the best place for it. We are dedicated to discussing science that has already been published in peer reviewed papers and textbooks. Unpublished ideas risk running afoul of PF's rule prohibiting "personal theories".

Thank you for the welcoming and insight! I am aiming to at least gain a better understanding of the Lorentz Harmonic Oscillator's application to crystal oscillation - hopefully this isn't prohibited. :smile:

Likes berkeman
Great thanks!

1. What is the Davisson-Germer Experiment?

The Davisson-Germer Experiment is an experiment that proved the wave-particle duality of matter. It was conducted in 1927 by Clinton Davisson and Lester Germer, who observed the diffraction of electrons off a crystal of nickel.

2. What does the Davisson-Germer Experiment tell us about reality?

The Davisson-Germer Experiment tells us that matter can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, which is known as wave-particle duality. This concept challenges our traditional understanding of reality and shows that matter can behave in ways that are not easily explained by classical physics.

3. How does the Davisson-Germer Experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The Davisson-Germer Experiment is one of the key experiments that led to the development of quantum mechanics. It provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

4. What were the results of the Davisson-Germer Experiment?

The results of the Davisson-Germer Experiment showed that electrons, which were thought to be particles, could also behave like waves. This was confirmed by the diffraction pattern observed when the electrons were scattered off the nickel crystal.

5. Why is the Davisson-Germer Experiment important?

The Davisson-Germer Experiment is important because it provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also helped to bridge the gap between classical physics and quantum mechanics, leading to a better understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.