Masters in biotechnology after BS. in applied mathematics?

In summary, you should take the following math courses to prepare for a degree in biotechnology: Advanced Calculus 1/2, Intro. to analysis, Complex analysis, vector calculus, Game theory, Optimization, Calculus of variations, Qualitative theory of ODE, and PDE 2. You should also take the GRE in November.
John Jacke
Do you know about if this is possible or which schools offer a degree like this? Aside from mathematics I have taken the following courses related to biotechnology(science-based):

General biology 1 and 2 with labs
General chemistry 1 and 2 with labs
General physics 1 and 2 with labs
Mechanics (Physics)
Mathematical Physics
Physics Problem Solving
Two psychology courses

What do you think my odds are?

I can get a minor in biology if I take one more course and I have a minor in physics, so maybe I will do that.

Let's assume this is good for applying for the degree... what about the math courses that I should take to prepare? I graduate in a year so I don't have much option at this point.

I'll have taken Numerical Analysis, Statistics, Mathematical modeling, complex variables, PDE, programming, linear algebra, ODE, all calculus.

I need to pick two of the following:

Advanced Calculus 1/2
Intro. to analysis
Complex analysis
vector calculus
Game theory
Optimization
Calculus of variations
Qualitative theory of ODE
PDE 2
Linear algebra 2

On top of this I need to take the GRE in November so by the time I submit my graduate application to other schools I will not have taken the last biology course for the minor yet so the school committee won't know to consider it in my application. Should I brief them? I think I am too excited. I just discovered this possibility.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a very good background for entering a master's program in biotechnology. You should talk with a professor in your school's biology department who will be more familiar with what is included in your past classes and in alternative future classes. You might want to look at a bioengineering class.

Likes John Jacke
Okay. I'm also thinking about maybe going for the masters (probably PHD if I begin masters) in applied mathematics and then getting a job in industry doing something with biotech or bionics. I know how important math is to every field of science and technology but I don't know if a PHD would qualify me to work in a job in science or technology related to biology. I just know that in the end I want to do something like this.

Related to Masters in biotechnology after BS. in applied mathematics?

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a Masters in Biotechnology after a BS in Applied Mathematics?

Pursuing a Masters in Biotechnology after a BS in Applied Mathematics allows for a combination of two highly sought-after skill sets in the job market. This will make you a strong candidate for various roles in the biotechnology industry, where mathematical analysis and data interpretation are crucial components of research and development.

2. Are there any specific prerequisites for a Masters in Biotechnology after a BS in Applied Mathematics?

While each university may have its own requirements, typically a strong foundation in mathematics, biology, and chemistry is expected. Some programs may also require specific coursework in biotechnology or related fields. It is always best to check with the specific program you are interested in for their specific prerequisites.

3. What are the career opportunities after completing a Masters in Biotechnology after a BS in Applied Mathematics?

The combination of a Masters in Biotechnology and a BS in Applied Mathematics opens up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare, agriculture, and environmental sciences. Some potential job titles include biostatistician, bioinformatics analyst, data scientist, and research scientist.

4. Can I pursue a Masters in Biotechnology after a BS in Applied Mathematics if I do not have a background in biology or chemistry?

While a strong foundation in biology and chemistry is preferred, it is not always a requirement for admission to a Masters in Biotechnology program. Some universities may offer preparatory courses for those without a background in these subjects. It is best to check with the specific program you are interested in for their admission requirements.

5. What skills will I gain from pursuing a Masters in Biotechnology after a BS in Applied Mathematics?

In addition to advanced knowledge in biotechnology and its applications, you will also gain skills in data analysis, statistical modeling, and programming. These skills are highly sought after in the biotechnology industry and will make you a valuable asset to potential employers.