Differential equations - finding constants

In summary, the individual is attempting to find values for the constants a and k that would make the expression y(x) = ax^k a solution to the given differential equation. They have tried substitution and separating x and y, but have not been successful so far. They may need to differentiate in order to solve the problem.
shinobiazra
Find values of the constants a and k so that y(x) = ax^k solves the differential equation;

(dy/dx)^2 + [(3y^2)/(x^2)] + [(2y)/(x^4)]

I tried substituiting ax^k into the DE but it did not work. I need to separate x and y but I cannot do it then I need to integrate it I think. I just don't know how to go about this question.

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no equation, only an expression. I guess you mean that this expression equals zero?

Please show what you've done so far with substitution

Hi shinobiazra! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
shinobiazra said:
I tried substituiting ax^k into the DE but it did not work. I need to separate x and y but I cannot do it then I need to integrate it I think.

No, there's no integration, all you need to do is differentiate.

If y = axk, what is dy/dx? :smile:

Related to Differential equations - finding constants

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are commonly used to model real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. Why do we need to find constants in differential equations?

Constants in differential equations are important because they allow us to solve for specific solutions to the equation. These constants can represent physical quantities or initial conditions that are necessary for accurately modeling a system.

3. How do we find constants in a differential equation?

There are several methods for finding constants in a differential equation, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the equation and using known values or conditions to solve for the constants.

4. What are initial conditions in differential equations?

Initial conditions are the values of a function and its derivatives at a specific starting point. They are often given in the form of initial value problems, which require finding the constants in the differential equation to satisfy these conditions.

5. Can we use technology to find constants in differential equations?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools that can help with solving differential equations and finding constants. These tools use numerical methods or symbolic manipulation to find solutions. However, it is still important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and methods for finding constants in differential equations.