Differential Equation with growth

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation with a growth problem involving dm/dt and dD/dt functions. The original function is given with values for E, LWC, and V(D), and the starting and ending diameters are also mentioned. The individual is not asking for a solution, but help in getting the dD/dt function. They share their attempt at solving it, but express uncertainty about the process without knowing the relationship between m and D.
DM1984
So, I have a differential equation with growth problem. It is a dm/dt function and I need to get it to dD/dt, change in diameter with time.

here is the original functon,
dm/dt= (pi/4)(D)^2* (V(D))*(LWC)*E

E=1
LWC = 2
V(D) = 343D^0.6 m/s

it starts from a diameter of 1mm and grows to 5mm and I need to find the time it takes.

I'm not asking for anyone to solve the problem and give me a final solution, but I need help in getting the dD/dt function.

I thought this was it... but its not:
multiplying by dt ___ dm = [(pi/4)(D)^2 * (v) * (LWC) (E)] dt

integrating ___ m = [(pi/4)(D)^2 * (v) * (LWC) (E)] t

dividing ___ m / [(pi/4)(D)^2 * (v) * (LWC) (E)] = t

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you can possibly change from dm/dt to dD/dt without knowing how m is related to D.

m=(pi/6)(density)(D^3)

Related to Differential Equation with growth

1. What is a differential equation with growth?

A differential equation with growth is a mathematical equation that describes the rate of change of a variable over time, taking into account a growth factor. It is typically used to model the growth of a population, the spread of a disease, or the decay of a radioactive substance.

2. What are the basic components of a differential equation with growth?

The basic components of a differential equation with growth are the dependent variable, the independent variable, and the growth rate or derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable.

3. How is a differential equation with growth solved?

A differential equation with growth can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and its initial conditions.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations with growth?

Differential equations with growth are used in various fields, including biology, economics, physics, and engineering. Some examples of real-world applications include modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing chemical reactions, and designing control systems for machines.

5. How can I use differential equations with growth to make predictions?

By solving a differential equation with growth and obtaining a mathematical model, you can use it to make predictions about the behavior of the system in the future. This can be useful for making decisions and planning for potential outcomes in various scenarios.