How to solve this second order differential equation

In summary: This can be solved by radicals:$$\begin{align*}ae^y+2c&=k\sqrt{ae^y+be^{2y}+c} \\ae^y+2c&=k(\sqrt{ae^y}) \\&=k(\sqrt{1+e^x})\end{align*}$$This last equation gives the solution for y as:$$y=-\frac{\tanh(\sqrt{c}(x+c_2))}{\sqrt{c}}
Safinaz
Any idea how to solve this equation:

## \ddot \sigma - p e^\sigma - q e^{2\sigma} =0 ##

Or

## \frac{d^2 \sigma}{dt^2} - p e^\sigma - q e^{2\sigma} =0 ##

Where p and q are constants.Thanks.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
This is of the form [itex]\ddot \sigma = f(\sigma)[/itex], so you can reduce it to first order by multiplying both sides by [itex]\dot \sigma[/itex] and integrating: [tex]
\frac12 \left(\dot\sigma^2(t) - \dot\sigma^2(0)\right) = \int_{\sigma(0)}^{\sigma(t)} f(s)\,ds.[/tex] I haven't checked whether the resulting ODE for [itex]\dot \sigma[/itex] can be solved analytically.

Likes Delta2
The equation is second order, all right, but it is not a partial differential equation, as you initially wrote in the thread title. It's a second order ordinary differential equation (ODE).

Last edited:
Safinaz said:
Any idea how to solve this equation:

## \ddot \sigma - p e^\sigma - q e^{2\sigma} =0 ##

Or

## \frac{d^2 \sigma}{dt^2} - p e^\sigma - q e^{2\sigma} =0 ##

Where p and q are constants.Thanks.
Here's how things go in the era of AI of the 21st century: You "feed" this ODE to Mathematica on the Wolframalpha website. In a matter of seconds, you will see if it has a solution in terms of known elementary or special functions. If such a solution is shown by the software, then you can ask people how this solution is computed by the program. If the AI can't break it, neither can people, then a series-expansion is needed (i.e. an approximation for t very close to 0).

dextercioby said:
Here's how things go in the era of AI of the 21st century: You "feed" this ODE to Mathematica on the Wolframalpha website. In a matter of seconds, you will see if it has a solution in terms of known elementary or special functions. If such a solution is shown by the software, then you can ask people how this solution is computed by the program. If the AI can't break it, neither can people, then a series-expansion is needed (i.e. an approximation for t very close to 0).
No.

S.G. Janssens said:
No.
I am sorry, but if the OP has no "feeling" that his highly nonlinear ODE may be solved by special functions, he can't just pretend that AI did not exist, like in the time of Gradsheyn and Rytzhik doing complicated integrals by hand. You may think it is cheating, but I say this is only being being realistic.

You can start with separation of variables and integrating one time ... It seems that the first integration will work, for the second I don't know, you must to try ...
Ssnow

We can interpret it as equation of motion
[tex]\ddot{x}=-\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}[/tex]
where
[tex]U=-pe^x-\frac{q}{2}e^{2x}[/tex]
We can investigate shape of the potential energy including
[tex]U(-\infty)=0, |U(+\infty)|=\infty [/tex]
Say p,q>0
total energy E<0 would tell the region where the particle cannot go. For E>0 the particle would go infinite.

Last edited:
(* edited: noticed DE in p easily solved by separation of variables *)

I suggest start by writing it as
$$
y''-a e^y-b e^{2y}=0
$$
Then let ##y'=p## as the standard notation. Then ##y''=p\frac{dp}{dy}## leaving
$$
p\frac{dp}{dy}-a e^y-b e^{2 y}=0
$$
or
$$
pdp=(ae^y+be^{2y})dy
$$
It's at least reduced to first-order and can be solved by integrating:
$$
p_1(y)=-\sqrt{2 a e^y+b e^{2 y}+2 c_1}
$$
$$
p_2(y)=\sqrt{2 a e^y+b e^{2 y}+2 c_1}
$$
Then need to solve:

$$
y'=-\sqrt{2 a e^y+b e^{2 y}+2 c_1}
$$
$$
y'=\sqrt{2 a e^y+b e^{2 y}+2 c_1}
$$
which Mathematical gives solutions in terms of radicals, tanh, and log expressions:

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
aheight said:
would be interesting to figure out how these are the solutions.
As said in post #8 these solutions come from energy conservation law. c_1 is total energy for m=1.

Last edited:
I'd like to continue a bit to solve this somewhat manually. We have the general expression:
$$
\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt{a e^y+b e^{2y}+c}
$$
Separating variables again and integrating (I did the integration with Mathematica):
$$
\begin{align*}
\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{a e^y+b e^{2y}+c}}&=x+c_2 \\
-\frac{\tanh ^{-1}\left(\frac{a e^y+2 c}{2 \sqrt{c} \sqrt{a e^y+b e^{2 y}+c}}\right)}{\sqrt{c}}&=x+c_2 \\
\frac{a e^y+2 c}{2 \sqrt{c} \sqrt{a e^y+b e^{2 y}+c}}&=\tanh(\sqrt{c}(x+c_2))
\end{align*}
$$
So basically now reduced to an algebraic problem solving for y in the expression:
$$
ae^y+2c=k\sqrt{ae^y+be^{2y}+c}
$$

Last edited:
Likes Ssnow

Related to How to solve this second order differential equation

1. How do I identify a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is an equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It can be identified by looking for the highest derivative in the equation, which should be the second derivative.

2. What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is:
y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x)
where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, p(x) and q(x) are functions of x, and g(x) is a function of x.

3. How do I solve a second order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a second order differential equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order. It is important to first identify the type of equation and then choose the appropriate method for solving it.

4. What are the initial conditions for solving a second order differential equation?

To solve a second order differential equation, two initial conditions are needed. These can be in the form of the value of the function at a specific point, or the value of the derivative of the function at a specific point. These initial conditions are used to find the particular solution to the differential equation.

5. Can a second order differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution to a second order differential equation contains two arbitrary constants, which can take on different values for different solutions. The specific solution to a differential equation is determined by the initial conditions given.