Differential Equation Containing Natural Log of Negative e

In summary, the speaker is working on a problem involving the natural log of a negative e and is unsure of how to find an explicit solution, given the lack of an initial condition. They have reached a simplified form of the problem but are unsure how to solve for y. They later realize their mistake in integrating e^(-y) and are thankful for the assistance.
chrisa88
Hi I am working on a problem that ends up having the natural log of a negative e which I'm confused on how to find the explicit solution.

The Problem:
Find an explicit solution with C.
y'-e[itex]^{-y}[/itex]cos(x)=0

My Conclusion:
First of all, I'm confused how I should solve this explicitly if I'm not given an initial condition. I'm assuming that is why they said "with C", however I'm now in the conundrum of how to solve this with just y on the left side since I have reached the following:
ln(-e[itex]^{-y}[/itex])=ln(sin(x) + C)
which could then be simplified to (if I'm not mistaken)
ln(-e[itex]^{-y}[/itex])=c*ln(sin(x))
BUT from my research and trials I have found that the natural log of a negative number, even e, is undefined. So how would I get this simplified to solving for y?

Thank you very much!

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
y'-exp(−y)cos(x)=0
y'exp(y)=cos(x)
Integrate...

So my mistake was in doing the integral of e^(-y) which yields -e^(-y), wow.. I kept thinking I had made some silly algebra error here haha.. Thank you very much for pointing out my trivial mistake!

Related to Differential Equation Containing Natural Log of Negative e

1. What is a natural log?

A natural logarithm, written as ln(x), is the inverse function of the exponential function y = e^x. It is the logarithm to the base e, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. Natural logarithms are commonly used in mathematics and science to solve exponential equations.

2. What does it mean when a differential equation contains a natural log of negative e?

A differential equation containing a natural log of negative e means that the solution to the equation will involve taking the natural log of a negative number. This can result in complex or imaginary solutions, depending on the specific equation. It is important to carefully consider the initial conditions and domain of the equation when solving for the solution.

3. How do you solve a differential equation containing a natural log of negative e?

The process of solving a differential equation containing a natural log of negative e is similar to solving any other differential equation. You will need to use techniques such as separation of variables, integration, and possibly substitution to find the solution. It is important to carefully consider the initial conditions and any restrictions on the domain to ensure an accurate solution.

4. Why do natural logs of negative e appear in differential equations?

Natural logs of negative e often appear in differential equations because they are a natural result of certain physical or mathematical phenomena. For example, in physics, natural logs of negative e may appear in equations that describe the decay of radioactive materials or the diffusion of heat. In mathematics, they may arise in equations that model population growth or fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations with natural logs of negative e?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of differential equations with natural logs of negative e. Some examples include modeling radioactive decay in nuclear reactors, predicting the spread of diseases in populations, and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits. Differential equations with natural logs of negative e are also frequently used in economics, physics, engineering, and other sciences to model complex systems and phenomena.