Solving Mr Occam's Razor with a Drop Weight - D

• Thread starter Mr.D
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about simulating a collision involving a 2000kg Fork Lift Truck and a stationary Racking Upright using a 50kg drop weight. The question is to determine the height at which the weight must be dropped from to simulate the FLT impact or create an impact force of 400N. The conversation also delves into the use of Newton Meter as a unit of energy and work. The ultimate goal is to create a device to protect against FLT impacts on warehouse pallet racking.
Mr.D
Hi,

We have a saying where i come from:

Yorkshire born,
Yorkshire bred.
Strong in t' arm,
Weak in t' head.

That said I have one dear principle which is from dear old Mr Occam and his Razor.

So, here I am attempting to simulate a Fork Lift Truck at 2000kg, traveling at approx 10 cm per second and impacting a stationary Racking Upright. I have constructed a drop weight of 50kg. How high must this weight be dropped from in order to approx simulate the FLT impact?

Or, from which hieght does the 50kg weight need to be dropped in order to create an impact force of 400NM?

The first person to give me the correct answer gets to have me as a slave for a week! :wink:

Regards,

D,

Physics news on Phys.org
Simulating a collision? Not easy!

Mr.D said:
So, here I am attempting to simulate a Fork Lift Truck at 2000kg, traveling at approx 10 cm per second and impacting a stationary Racking Upright. I have constructed a drop weight of 50kg. How high must this weight be dropped from in order to approx simulate the FLT impact?
I doubt you'll find my answer all that helpful: It depends on what you are trying to simulate. Most likely, you would find that giving the drop weight the same kinetic energy as the truck would be more useful. In that case, since the KE (= 1/2mV^2) of the truck equals about 10 J, the weight would have to be lifted to a height of 10/(50x9.8) = 0.02 M. But if you wanted to have the same momentum, which is mV = 200 Kg-M/s, the height would have to be 0.82 M.
Or, from which height does the 50kg weight need to be dropped in order to create an impact force of 400NM?
Do you mean 400 N? (NM = Newton-Meter is a measure of energy, not force.) Now that's tough. Because the force depends on the details of the impact, specifically the duration of the collision. Impossible to predict with the given information. For example: dropping the weight onto a mattress vs dropping it onto an iron slab--the force will be quite different.

Perhaps an engineer will be able to give you some additional insight.

Doc Al,

Thanks Doc, 820mm gives me a start.

Let explain what I'm trying to do. I have invented a device to prevent/mitigate Fork Lift Truck impacts to warehouse pallet racking. The typical FLT weighs 2000kg. The impact protection device is a multilateral polymer based sleeve that attaches to the front and lateral sides of the racking column.

Momentum of the truck is important as is the stationary steel upright. I was informed that the industrial standard that impact protection devices should withstand is 400NM??

I have a question. It's kind of on a tangent. If Newton Meter is a unit of energy, shouldn't it be a unit of work, because work=force*distance?

Also, the 'industrial standard that protection devices withstand" would be measured in Newtons.

units of energy/work

Decker said:
If Newton Meter is a unit of energy, shouldn't it be a unit of work, because work=force*distance?
Sure. Any unit of energy is also a unit of work. 1 NM = 1 Joule.

1. What is Mr Occam's Razor and why is it important in science?

Occam's Razor is a principle in science that states that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. It is important because it helps scientists to avoid unnecessary complexities and focus on the most likely explanation for a phenomenon.

2. How does using a drop weight help to solve Mr Occam's Razor?

By using a drop weight, scientists can conduct controlled experiments and gather data to test different explanations for a phenomenon. The simplest explanation that is supported by the data is then considered the most likely explanation, in line with Occam's Razor.

3. Can using a drop weight lead to biases in the interpretation of data?

Yes, it is possible for biases to arise when using a drop weight as a tool for solving Mr Occam's Razor. This is why it is important for scientists to carefully design their experiments and consider multiple possible explanations for a phenomenon.

4. Are there any limitations to using a drop weight in scientific research?

Yes, there are limitations to using a drop weight. It may not be suitable for all types of experiments and may not be able to account for all variables that could affect the results. Additionally, it relies on the assumption that the simplest explanation is always the correct one, which may not always be the case.

5. How can the use of a drop weight contribute to the advancement of science?

The use of a drop weight can contribute to the advancement of science by providing a systematic and controlled approach to testing hypotheses and determining the most likely explanation for a phenomenon. It can also help to identify areas for further research and development of new theories.