Solving Rotational Problem: Find Min Distance & Accels

• Thread starter Eumcoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform rod of length 6.0m and mass 50kg, supported by a wire and a wall. A 20kg mass is suspended at a distance x from the wall and the wire makes a 37 degree angle with the rod. The conversation covers calculations for the minimum distance x to prevent slipping, the total moment of inertia around the point where the rod and wire connect, the initial angular acceleration if the coefficient of static friction is reduced to 0, and the tangential linear acceleration of the 20kg mass. The conversation also considers the factors to be taken into account for equilibrium.
Eumcoz
Hey, I have a problem...don't really know how to tackle it.

A Uniform 6.0m long rod of mass 50kg is supported b y a wire at one end.(Other end of wire is connected to wall) The other end rests against a wall where it is held by friction. The coefficient of static friction between the wall and the rod is .6. A 20kg mass is suspended some distance,x, from the wall. The wire makes a 37 degree angle with the rod.

(a) What is the minimum distance, x, that the mass must be from the wall(Point a) in order that the rod does not slip at the point at the wall.

(b) Calculate the total moment of inertia of the rod plus weight about the point where the rod and wire connect(Point B)(Assume the 20kg mass is a point particle at a distance x from the wall and a distance 6.0m - x from point b)

(c) If the wall was to get slick, such that the coefficient of static friction was reduced to 0, what would be the inital angular acceleration of the rod and weight around the point b?(You will need to find the sum of the torques around point b, with no torque being exerted on the wall.)

(d) What is the tangential linear aceleration of the 20kg mass?

There is a figure...it looks like a right triangle, with a mass hanging down if you can't picture the figure.

I figure(not sure) that the sum of the torque has to be equal to 0 for the first part. But do i have to factor in the Friction force at all? If not i got x = 5.13m, can anyone confirm this number?.

For the second part, i think i would use formula I = (Sum of) mr^2...so (50kg * 6m^2 * .5) + (20kg * x^2(.87m^2)) = 900 kgm^2 + 15.138 kgm^2 = 915.138 kgm^2 and this is around point b...so that would make the torque of the wire = 0 since r = 0 correct?

For the third part i would find the sum of the torque around point b...so ((6m*.5 * 9.8 m/s^2)(50kg)) + (20kg * x^2(.87m^2) * 9.8 m/s^2)=8820 N*m +170.52 N*m = 8990.52 Nm and then use that to figure out the Angular Accel using the formula Aa(angular accel.) = Torque / Moment Inertia so... 8990.52 N*m / 915.138 kgm^2 = 9.824 rad/s^2

I am a little iffy on the last part. Would the accel of the weight be the same as the whole system? So would you just do At(tangental accel) = .87m * 9.824rad/s^2 = 8.54 m/s^2? or is this step wrong?

Any help on this problem will be greatly appriciated...thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry...just read rule about work...edited orig. w/ work i did

Eumcoz said:
...that the sum of the torque has to be equal to 0 for the first part. But do i have to factor in the Friction force at all? If not i got x = 5.13m,

It depend on the axis of rotation you are taking.

If you are taking torque about the end with wire, you have to take torque due to friction, but if you are taking torque about the end touches the wall torque due to friction is zero, but torque due to tension in the wire will come in picture.

For equilibrium

1. Sum of all the forces on the body must be zero and
2. Sum of the torque must be zero.

Related to Solving Rotational Problem: Find Min Distance & Accels

1. What is rotational motion and why is it important to solve rotational problems?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. It is important to solve rotational problems because many real-world objects, such as wheels, gears, and planets, exhibit rotational motion. Understanding rotational motion and its properties is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

2. How do you find the minimum distance in a rotational problem?

To find the minimum distance in a rotational problem, you first need to identify the axis of rotation and the points on the object that are moving. Then, using basic trigonometry and geometry, you can calculate the distance between the moving points and the axis of rotation. The minimum distance will be the shortest distance between these points.

3. What are the different types of acceleration in rotational motion?

The two types of acceleration in rotational motion are tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration. Tangential acceleration is the change in the speed of an object moving in a circular path, while centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle. Both types of acceleration can be calculated using equations involving the angular velocity and radius of the circular path.

4. How do you approach a rotational problem involving accelerations?

To solve a rotational problem involving accelerations, it is important to first determine the axis of rotation and the direction of motion of the moving points on the object. Then, you can use Newton's second law of motion and the equations for tangential and centripetal acceleration to set up and solve the problem. It may also be helpful to draw a free-body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object.

5. Can rotational problems be solved using calculus?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve rotational problems, particularly when the motion is not constant or when the object has a variable mass. Calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals can be applied to equations for rotational motion to find the acceleration, velocity, and position of the object at any given time. However, simpler rotational problems can also be solved using basic algebra and trigonometry.