Milikan's Oil Drop Experiment: Solving the Equation

• Thread starter shad0w0f3vil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Oil
In summary, the conversation discusses Milikan's oil drop experiment, which is used to determine the charge on an electron. To calculate the velocity of the oil drops, a differential equation is used: dv/dt = 9.8 - Cv/D^2. The equation is then solved to find the eventual (terminal) velocity in terms of D, which is v(t) = 9.8D62/C. The individual asking for help has attempted to integrate the equation but is unsure if they are on the right track. They have been advised to plug t = ∞ into the equation or look at the original equation to find the terminal velocity.
shad0w0f3vil
Milikan's oild drop experiment is a famous experiment to dertermine the charge on an electron. In order to perform the calculations it is necessary to solve the equatuion that describes the speed of small drops of oil falling under gravity. This equation is:

dv/dt = 9.8 - Cv/D^2

Where C= 3.1*10^-6 m^2/s and D is the diameter in metres. The oil drop is assumed to start from rest.

Solve the differential equation and hence show that the eventual (terminal) velocity in terms of D is v(t)=9.8D62/C

I have tried several times to integrate this question without success, I think I am making the mistake right at the start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work? That way we'll be able to spot your error.

ok

dv/dt = 9.8 - Cv/D^2
1/9.8 - Cv/D^2 dv = dt
then i integrate both sides

1/(-C/D^2) ln (9.8- Cv/D^2) = t + c
- D^2/C (ln 9.8 - Cv/D^2) = t+c
ln (9.8 - Cv/D^2) = -Ct/D^2 + c
9.8 - Cv/D^2 = e^(-Ct/D^2 + c)

and here i just get a little lost... am I on the right track?

Hi shad0w0f3vil! :smile:

Yes, the integration looks fine. :smile:

Just plug t = ∞ into it, and solve.

Alternatively, you could get the terminal velocity just by looking at the original dv/dt = 9.8 - Cv/D². :rolleyes:

ok I will have a better look at it tomorrow and get back to you

Related to Milikan's Oil Drop Experiment: Solving the Equation

1. What is Milikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

Milikan's Oil Drop Experiment is a scientific experiment conducted by American physicist Robert A. Millikan in 1909 to determine the fundamental unit of electric charge, known as the electron charge.

2. How was the experiment conducted?

The experiment involved suspending tiny oil droplets between two charged plates and measuring the electric force acting on them. By changing the voltage on the plates, Millikan was able to find the exact amount of charge on each oil droplet.

3. What was the significance of this experiment?

Milikan's Oil Drop Experiment was a groundbreaking discovery in the field of physics, as it provided evidence for the existence of individual particles with a fixed electrical charge, known as electrons. This experiment also allowed for the calculation of the exact value of the electron charge.

4. How did this experiment help solve the equation for the electron charge?

By measuring the electric force on different oil droplets and analyzing the data, Millikan was able to determine the charge on each droplet. He then compared the charges to find the common factor, which was the charge of a single electron. This allowed for the formulation of the equation for the electron charge: e = 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

5. Are there any limitations to Milikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

One limitation of this experiment is that it only provided an approximate value for the electron charge, as there were other factors that could have affected the measurements. Additionally, the experiment did not take into account the existence of protons, which also have a fundamental charge. However, Milikan's experiment was still a major breakthrough in understanding the nature of electrical charge.