Derivative of a Quadratic Function: Understanding the Use of cis(x)

In summary, a student was marked wrong by their teacher for using the cis function in finding the derivative of a polynomial. The student wonders if this would also be marked wrong on the AP test. Another user explains that the cis function may not be familiar to high school teachers and recommends using the traditional method for the AP test. The student also asks about the properties of negative numbers and the cis function. Another user clarifies that the existence of the cis function does not mean there are no negative numbers and suggests using the notation "ei π" instead of "cis" for clarity.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi,

My teacher marked me wrong when I was asked to find the derivative of
-x^2 - 2x + 8
it was a review for the AP test were we just review everything
and I put
2cis(pi)x - 2
she marked it wrong and put a question mark over cis(pi)...

What's up with this teacher?
Do you think if I used the sis function on the AP test they would mark it wrong? It's not wrong at all...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean technically
x - 2 = x + (-1)2 = x + cis(pi)2

It's high school, so your teacher is probably unfamiliar with [tex]\mathrm{cis}(\theta)[/tex]. For the AP test, I'd recommend you stick to [tex]\frac{d}{dx}( -x^2-2x+8) = -2x-2[/tex].

I like it, though. :smile:

So is there no such thing as a negative number at all sense every negative number is really just cis(pi) times a positive number? Is that why
x - 2
is really just
x + (-1)2
I always thought that was a strange property myself, simply just change the sign to positive and multiple 2 by (-1)...

No, the existence of the cis function does not imply that there are no negative numbers. cis(pi) evaluates to a negative number, so you are just writing a negative number as a product of a positive number and -1.

At least write ei π
writing cis is just silly

Related to Derivative of a Quadratic Function: Understanding the Use of cis(x)

1. What does "cis(x)" mean in AP Calculus AB?

In AP Calculus AB, "cis(x)" is used to represent the complex number cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit. This notation is often used in trigonometric functions and allows for simpler calculations and representations of complex numbers.

2. How is "cis(x)" used in AP Calculus AB?

In AP Calculus AB, "cis(x)" is commonly used to simplify and solve problems involving complex numbers, especially in trigonometric functions. It is also used to represent vectors in polar form and in the study of differential equations.

3. What is the difference between "cis(x)" and "cos(x) + i*sin(x)"?

The notation "cis(x)" is simply a shorthand for the complex number cos(x) + i*sin(x). The main difference is that "cis(x)" allows for easier and quicker calculations involving complex numbers, while "cos(x) + i*sin(x)" is the traditional notation used in mathematics.

4. Can "cis(x)" be used with any value of x in AP Calculus AB?

Yes, "cis(x)" can be used with any value of x in AP Calculus AB. It is commonly used in calculus to represent vectors in polar form, and in trigonometry to simplify calculations and solve problems involving complex numbers.

5. Where did the notation "cis(x)" originate from?

The notation "cis(x)" originated from the French mathematician Abraham de Moivre in the 18th century. He used it to represent the complex exponential function, which is now commonly seen in calculus and other branches of mathematics.