4.2.204 AP calculus practice question

In summary, using the chain rule and FTOC, we can find the derivative of the given function $f(x)$, which is defined as $\displaystyle f(x)=\int_1^{x^3}\dfrac{1}{1+\ln t}\, dt$ for $x\ge 1$. By applying the FTOC, we get $f'(x)=\dfrac{3x^2}{1+\ln(x^3)}$. And by plugging in $x=2$, we get the value of $f'(2)$ as $\dfrac{12}{1+\ln(8)}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
If $\displaystyle f(x)=\int_1^{x^3}\dfrac{1}{1+\ln t}\, dt$ for $x\ge 1$ then $f'(2)=$

(A) $\dfrac{1}{1+\ln 2}$

(B) $\dfrac{12}{1+\ln 2}$

(C) $\dfrac{1}{1+\ln 8}$

(D) $\dfrac{12}{1+\ln 8}$

ok I am little be baffled by this one due the $x^3$ in the limits
since from homework you just take integral and then plug in f'(x)

AP Calculus Exam PDF {WIP}
https://drive.google.com/file/d/131RCqemH8cHPh5FIW9VtqLPO4Kni0Bqo/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the FTOC, we have:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int_1^{x^3}\frac{1}{1+\ln(t)}\,dt=\frac{3x^2}{1+\ln(x^3)}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle f'(2)=\frac{12}{1+\ln(8)}\)

well that's interesting
mahalo...

MarkFL said:
By the FTOC, we have:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int_1^{x^3}\frac{1}{1+\ln(t)}\,dt=\frac{3x^2}{1+\ln(x)}\)

That is actually by the more advanced Leibniz integral rule.

And in this case $x^3$ should be substituted instead of $x$:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int_1^{x^3}\frac{1}{1+\ln(t)}\,dt
= \left[\frac{1}{1+\ln(t)}\right]_{t=x^3}\cdot \d{}x(x^3) - \left[\frac{1}{1+\ln(t)}\right]_{t=1}\cdot\d{}x(1)
=\frac{3x^2}{1+\ln(x^3)}\)

In general, "Leibniz's rule": if [tex]f(x)= \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} g(x.t)dt[/tex] then
[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}= g(x, \beta(x))\frac{d\beta}{dx}- g(x,\alpha(x))\frac{d\alpha}{dx}+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(X)} \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} dt[/tex].

That includes the basic "Fundamental theorem of Calculus" given in Calculus texts as a special case: if [tex]\beta(x)= x[/tex], [tex]\alpha(x)= a[/tex], a constant, and [tex]g(x,t)= g(t)[/tex] with no dependence on x, then [tex]\frac{d\beta}{dx}= 1[/tex], [tex]\frac{d\alpha}{dx}= 0[/tex], and [tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}= 0[/tex] so
[tex]\left(\int_a^x g(t)dt\right)'= g(x)[/tex].

I've edited my post to correct it. I should have referred to my notes on the FTOC rather than "winging it." (Giggle)

MarkFL said:
I've edited my post to correct it. I should have referred to my notes on the FTOC rather than "winging it."

I consider the Leibniz integration rule difficult to remember and it's easy to make mistakes with it. (Giggle)
So I prefer to use 'just' FTOC and 'wing it'. (Nerd)

In this case, we can define:
$$G(u) = \int_1^u \frac{1}{1+\ln(t)}\,dt$$
Then:
$$f'(x)=\d{}x \int_1^{x^3}\frac{1}{1+\ln(t)}\,dt = \d{}x \Big(G(x^3) - G(1)\Big) = G'(x^3)\cdot 3x^2$$
Now we can apply FTOC to find:
$$G'(u) = \frac{1}{1+\ln(u)} \implies f'(x) = \frac{1}{1+\ln(x^3)}\cdot 3x^2$$

Like this we use only the chain rule and FTOC.
Less room for mistakes and no need to remember the Leibniz integration rule.

Related to 4.2.204 AP calculus practice question

1. What is the purpose of "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question"?

The purpose of "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question" is to provide students with a practice question that covers the topic of section 4.2.204 in the AP Calculus curriculum. This allows students to test their understanding and knowledge of the topic and prepare for upcoming exams.

2. How difficult is "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question" compared to other practice questions?

The difficulty of "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question" may vary depending on the individual student's understanding of the topic. However, it is designed to be similar in difficulty to other practice questions in the AP Calculus curriculum and can be used to gauge the student's understanding and progress.

3. Is "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question" similar to questions on the actual AP Calculus exam?

Yes, "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question" is designed to be similar to questions that may appear on the actual AP Calculus exam. It covers the same topic and uses similar problem-solving techniques and concepts.

4. Can "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question" be used for self-study?

Yes, "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question" can be used for self-study. It is a helpful resource for students who want to review and practice the material on their own time. It can also be used as a tool for self-assessment and identifying areas for improvement.

5. Are there any resources available to help with "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question"?

Yes, there are various resources available to help with "4.2.204 AP calculus practice question". These may include textbooks, online tutorials, practice tests, and study guides. Additionally, students can seek help from their teachers, peers, or tutors if they have any difficulties with the practice question.