Definite Integral: Exponential

In summary: You didn't account for the negative sign.In summary, the conversation discusses the equality \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-y} dy = 1 and why it is true. The poster graphed the integral and understands that it converges to a finite number, but is unsure how to evaluate it step by step. Another user suggests using the substitution u=-y and the fundamental theorem of calculus, but the original poster does not account for the negative sign, resulting in an incorrect solution.
michonamona

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-y} dy = 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is this equality true? I understand that the integral and derivative of e^y is always e^y, but I can't make out why this definite integral is equal to 1. I graphed it using a graphing application and can see why it converges to a finite number, but I can't work it out step by step.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

M

Physics news on Phys.org
michonamona said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-y} dy = 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is this equality true? I understand that the integral and derivative of e^y is always e^y, but I can't make out why this definite integral is equal to 1. I graphed it using a graphing application and can see why it converges to a finite number, but I can't work it out step by step.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

M
How about this integral? Can you evaluate it?

[tex]\int_0^b e^{-y} dy[/tex]
If you can get that, then just take the limit as b approaches infinity.

BTW, this should have been posted in the Calculus & Beyond section.

Start by letting u= -x.

ok, suppose u=-y, then[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} e^{u} dy = e^{u} ] ^{\infty}_{0} = e^{-y} ] ^{\infty}_{0} [/tex]

By the fundamental theorem of calculus

[tex] e^{-y} ]^{\infty}_{0} = 0 - e^0 = -1 [/tex]

Ok, so where in my solution did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Um, I wouldn't make that substitution. Mark44's suggestion is the easiest way.

I got it. Thank you!

michonamona said:
ok, suppose u=-y, then
[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} e^{u} dy = e^{u} ] ^{\infty}_{0} = e^{-y} ] ^{\infty}_{0} [/tex]

By the fundamental theorem of calculus

[tex] e^{-y} ]^{\infty}_{0} = 0 - e^0 = -1 [/tex]

Ok, so where in my solution did I go wrong?

Here's where you went wrong: If u = - y, then du = -dy. You just replaced dy with du.

Related to Definite Integral: Exponential

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit which defines the boundaries of the area being calculated.

2. How is exponential function related to definite integrals?

Exponential functions, which are functions of the form f(x) = ab^x, can be represented as a continuous curve on a graph. The definite integral of an exponential function represents the area under the curve, which has applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. How do you solve a definite integral of an exponential function?

To solve a definite integral of an exponential function, you can use techniques such as integration by parts or substitution. However, for simple exponential functions, you can use the formula ∫ab^x = a(b^x)/(ln b) to calculate the definite integral.

4. What are the applications of definite integrals of exponential functions?

Definite integrals of exponential functions have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate quantities such as growth rates, compound interest, and radioactive decay.

5. Can definite integrals of exponential functions have negative values?

Yes, definite integrals of exponential functions can have negative values. This occurs when the area under the curve is below the x-axis, which represents a negative value. However, when evaluating a definite integral, the negative value is represented as a positive value with a negative sign in front of it.