Decoding Screen Names: The Psychology Behind Usernames

• Thread starter Smasherman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screen
In summary, people often read too much into screen names. My screen name says a lot about me, and it's always funny when I meet new people and they can't guess what my name means.
Smasherman
I was thinking that maybe people read something into my SN. "Smasherman" is just the name of my barbarian on Diablo II, which no longer exists, anyway. I do not, in fact, smash things (well, not often, anyway :biggrin: ).

But, to spur conversation, how much do people read into screen names?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing at all, in my case. PF is the only site that I've been to, and the only thing that I can see is that some of the names reflect the area of science that the user is most interested in. The others seem arbitrary or just humourous (plus, of course, those who just use their real names... which in DocToxyn's case is funny as well).

My screen name says a lot about me. I used to have a dog named trib.

tribdog said:
My screen name says a lot about me. I used to have a dog named trib.

Oh, and I thought you were some sort of super-smart "trib" dog.

My best friend recently moved in with new roomies (a husband and wife). One night I stopped by and it turned out it was the wife's cousin's birthday. She's a cute little filipina but I didn't really get the chance to say hi so I looked her up on MySpace and sent her a message saying hi and Happy Birthday.
She read the message but never responded back.
I heard from my friend that she apparently saw my screen name and immediately decided that I must be a creep and that's why she never responded. So I sent her a message letting her know that I had heard she had a bad reaction to my screen name and showing her the quote that it originates from so she understood what it meant and all.
Again she didn't answer. Apparently she was angry that I, being the obvious creep that I am, would even dare to try speaking to her again. So I just shrugged and laughed and haven't tried speaking to her at all since then.
Just recently I came to find out though that she actually refuses to be at the house when I am there and demands that I not be allowed to be there when she is there. Now the wife roomie doesn't want me to come over when her cousin is going to be there because she wants to avoid trouble with her cousin whom she loves very much. The husband roomie thinks it's absolutely silly and doesn't want the cousin to think it's ok for her to be a ***** and say who can or can not be in his home. This creates problems between the two of them and the couple because his wife goes along with it. On top of that the cousin now works in the same office as my friend so if she has any troubles with me then she will likely take it out on him in their work place.
ALL of this, just because of my screen name.
I try really hard to keep thinking that it's just funny.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's fun to guess what a persons response might be based on their screen name. I believe mine suggests my purpose in responding. When people choose a pseudonym sometimes their choice reflects their values.

I like your username now, but it was quite mystifying when I first tried to read it.

I still don't get it. I think I need some demystification...could someone help me out here?

I use this name on every forum/game room, most people this its a disorder or illness.

I use this name in every day life!

my name on here is my real name. my name on aim though is yallgotsissues, i made it when i was a freshman in high school 5 years ago, and kept it ever since. Its always embarassing giving it out to new people i meet though. when its for serious reasons like, "wanna study together, sure, here's my sn, yallgotsissues..." yeah...

plus on aim at least, i hate when people have numbers in their screen names. shows a lack of creativity to me. so whenever i meet new people online, I'm impressed if they came up with a screen name without any numbers in it.

Gale said:
plus on aim at least, i hate when people have numbers in their screen names. shows a lack of creativity to me. so whenever i meet new people online, I'm impressed if they came up with a screen name without any numbers in it.
I have to agree with that. How you supposed to relate to FRSC243665? It's like talking to a license plate.

Gale said:

Aye, numbers are kinda annoying. I never use them if I can avoid it. One popular use, however, is 1337 5p33k (leet speek), which, for those not in-the-know, is the use of incorrect characters and spelling to make words. Almost totally unreadable for most people, hence the name (leet = elite, as far as I can tell).

I always thought I was the only tribdog out there, but I have found a few others when I went to sign up a certain sites and the screen name was already taken. I won't rule out the possiblity that I had already registered in the past and forgot.

tribdog said:
I always thought I was the only tribdog out there, but I have found a few others when I went to sign up a certain sites and the screen name was already taken. I won't rule out the possiblity that I had already registered in the past and forgot.

when i made my first sn as a kid, it was vila784. numbers and letters were all completely random. turned out vila was a real name, and i was like woah. so there are a lot of vila's out there apparently. was weird.

Gale said:
when i made my first sn as a kid, it was vila784. numbers and letters were all completely random. turned out vila was a real name, and i was like woah. so there are a lot of vila's out there apparently. was weird.
So, your father's not Bob Vila?

zoobyshoe said:
So, your father's not Bob Vila?

hmmmmm... amazingly i never, until now, realized that guy had that name...

I advocate animal related names.

Gale said:
hmmmmm... amazingly i never, until now, realized that guy had that name...
That guy?

http://www.wlnytv.com/whatsnew/images/vilas_225x255.jpg

Can you look your dad in the eye, Gale, and call him "that guy".

Last edited by a moderator:
Archon said:
I still don't get it. I think I need some demystification...could someone help me out here?

demystification is not always permited 4 a screen name (2 many characters).

it looks like only i have understood the essence of a screen name...
:biggrin:

Related to Decoding Screen Names: The Psychology Behind Usernames

What is the importance of having a screen name?

Having a screen name is important because it allows for anonymity and privacy online. It also serves as a unique identifier for individuals in online communities.

Why should I choose a unique screen name?

Choosing a unique screen name helps to avoid confusion and ensures that your online identity is distinct from others. It also allows for easier recognition and branding.

Can my screen name affect my online reputation?

Yes, your screen name can affect your online reputation. It can give others an impression of your personality and values, and can also impact how you are perceived in online communities.

Is it important to use the same screen name across different platforms?

It is not necessary to use the same screen name across different platforms, but it can make it easier for others to find and connect with you. It also helps to maintain consistency and build your online brand.

Can I change my screen name?

In most cases, you can change your screen name on various platforms. However, it is important to consider the impact it may have on your online presence and connections. It is best to choose a screen name that you will be comfortable using for a long time.