DC Circuits - How to Determine a Bulb's Brightness

In summary, when bulb D is unscrewed from its socket, the resistance in the right side of the circuit decreases, causing an increase in current and thus a brighter bulb F. When bulb D is back in its place, the resistance increases and the current decreases, causing a decrease in brightness for bulb F. This can also be explained through the voltage differences across each bulb, with bulb F having a higher voltage difference when bulb D is removed, resulting in a brighter bulb F.
jkface

Homework Statement

tPo7e.jpg

The circuit has identical bulbs and an ideal battery. When bulb D is unscrewed from its socket (the socket remains in its place), what would happen to the brightness of bulb F?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Since bulb D is unscrewed from it socket and the socket remains in its place, we can replace bulb D with a switch that is open. Assigning resistance of 1 for each bulb, the right side of circuit has 2R and the current for bulb F would be I = V/2R. When the bulb D is back in its place, the resistance of the right side of the circuit would be 5R/3 and the current for bulb F would be I = (3V/5R)/(2/3) = 9V/10R. This shows that when bulb D is unscrewed from its socket, bulb F would have less brightness.

When I entered the above explanation it turned out to be wrong. Can anyone explain why the brightness of the bulb increases?

Physics news on Phys.org
jkface said:
When the bulb D is back in its place, the resistance of the right side of the circuit would be 5R/3 and the current for bulb F would be I = (3V/5R)/(2/3) = 9V/10R.
Check the current through F. Can it be higher than the main current?

ehild

jkface said:

Homework Statement

tPo7e.jpg

The circuit has identical bulbs and an ideal battery. When bulb D is unscrewed from its socket (the socket remains in its place), what would happen to the brightness of bulb F?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Since bulb D is unscrewed from it socket and the socket remains in its place, we can replace bulb D with a switch that is open. Assigning resistance of 1 for each bulb, the right side of circuit has 2R and the current for bulb F would be I = V/2R. When the bulb D is back in its place, the resistance of the right side of the circuit would be 5R/3 and the current for bulb F would be I = (3V/5R)/(2/3) = 9V/10R. This shows that when bulb D is unscrewed from its socket, bulb F would have less brightness.

When I entered the above explanation it turned out to be wrong. Can anyone explain why the brightness of the bulb increases?

When globe D is removed, current passes through just B and F on the RHS. As they are in series, the current through each is the same - and the PD across each is thus equal, being half the Emf of the battery. [remember they are equal resistance globes]

When Globe D is/was in position, the current through B is shared through the two parallel arms, so more current flows through B compared to that through F - so the PD across B is greater than that over F, so the PD across B must be more than one half of the Emf of the cell, while the PD across F must be less than a half; so F must be duller when D is there - or if you like brighter when D is removed.

ehild said:
Check the current through F. Can it be higher than the main current?

ehild

Now that you mention it, I'm beginning to realize how stupid my answer sounds. If I multiply 3V/5R by 2/3, would that be the right answer?

PeterO said:
When globe D is removed, current passes through just B and F on the RHS. As they are in series, the current through each is the same - and the PD across each is thus equal, being half the Emf of the battery. [remember they are equal resistance globes]

When Globe D is/was in position, the current through B is shared through the two parallel arms, so more current flows through B compared to that through F - so the PD across B is greater than that over F, so the PD across B must be more than one half of the Emf of the cell, while the PD across F must be less than a half; so F must be duller when D is there - or if you like brighter when D is removed.

Thank you. I think I'm beginning to understand the problem now. Would I reach the same conclusion if I only discuss voltage differences?

jkface said:
Thank you. I think I'm beginning to understand the problem now. Would I reach the same conclusion if I only discuss voltage differences?

The brightness of the globe depends on the power being transformed/dissipated.

Power can be calculated from P = VI or I2R or V2/R

That 3rd form would suggest that Voltage difference would be sufficient.

jkface said:
Now that you mention it, I'm beginning to realize how stupid my answer sounds. If I multiply 3V/5R by 2/3, would that be the right answer?

Yes, of course. :smile:

ehild

Thanks everyone for helping me!

Related to DC Circuits - How to Determine a Bulb's Brightness

1. How does voltage affect a bulb's brightness?

Voltage is directly proportional to a bulb's brightness. This means that the higher the voltage, the brighter the bulb will be. Conversely, a lower voltage will result in a dimmer bulb.

2. What is the relationship between current and a bulb's brightness?

The current flowing through a bulb is also directly proportional to its brightness. This means that the higher the current, the brighter the bulb will be. However, it is important to note that the bulb's resistance also plays a role in determining its brightness, as explained in Ohm's law.

3. How does the type of bulb affect its brightness?

The type of bulb used can greatly affect its brightness. Incandescent bulbs are known for their warm and bright light, while LED bulbs are energy-efficient and can produce a variety of brightness levels. Fluorescent bulbs, on the other hand, may require a warm-up time before reaching their full brightness.

4. Can the position of a bulb in a circuit affect its brightness?

Yes, the position of a bulb in a circuit can affect its brightness. When bulbs are connected in series, the voltage across each bulb is divided, resulting in a dimmer overall brightness. In parallel circuits, each bulb has the same voltage across it, leading to a brighter overall brightness.

5. How can I calculate the brightness of a bulb in a circuit?

To calculate the brightness of a bulb in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) and the power formula (P=IV) to determine the voltage and current across the bulb. You can then use the bulb's resistance to calculate the power (brightness) using the power formula. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to directly measure the voltage and current across the bulb and calculate the power.