Brightness of Light Bulbs in a Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of unscrewing bulbs in a circuit on the brightness of the other bulbs. It is predicted that unscrewing one bulb will cause the other two to get brighter due to less resistance and more current in the circuit. However, the specific effect depends on which bulb is unscrewed and its arrangement in the circuit. The discussion also mentions the concept of "Christmas tree lights failure" and clarifies that removing the battery would be the only way to significantly change voltage in the circuit.
cvc121

Homework Statement

[/B]
Given the circuit diagram (attached below), predict how unscrewing each bulb separately affects the brightness of the other two bulbs?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I predict that by unscrewing one of the bulbs, the other two will get brighter. This is because there is less resistance in the circuit overall, and more current which is distributed to the other two bulbs, making them brighter. Am I on the right track here? I am only at a basic high school level so this is the best explanation I could think of given my knowledge. Any help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160413_221916[2].jpg
    20160413_221916[2].jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on which bulb you unscrew! Go ahead and try to figure out what would happen if you were to unscrew each of the three bulbs.

cvc121 said:
I predict that by unscrewing one of the bulbs, the other two will get brighter. This is because there is less resistance in the circuit overall
What does the circuit look like if you unscrew, say, the bulb on the horizontal wire, B2?

Would B1 and B3 be in parallel with one another?

cvc121 said:
Would B1 and B3 be in parallel with one another?
Have you heard of the expression "Christmas tree lights failure"?

No, I have not.
Let's just say that I were to unscrew B1. Wouldn't B2 and B3 both get brighter because there is less resistance in the circuit overall? However, I am not sure if that's true because of the fact that B1 is in parallel with B2 and B3 and B2 is in series with B3.

cvc121 said:
Let's just say that I were to unscrew B1. Wouldn't B2 and B3 both get brighter because there is less resistance in the circuit overall? However, I am not sure if that's true because of the fact that B1 is in parallel with B2 and B3 and B2 is in series with B3.
Consider the voltage across B1. How is that affected by removing B1?
Have you tried drawing the circuit with B1 removed?

Decrease

cvc121 said:
Decrease
Why?

Pardon me. I believe that voltage would not change because isn't the only thing that would change the voltage be to replace the battery with a more or less powerful one. I am becoming very confused now. I have just been exposed to this topic and it has taken me a while to understand it. Sorry if I sound really dumb.

cvc121 said:
voltage would not change
Right, but I still suspect you have not understood what the circuit will look like. What do you see where the bulb used to be before removing it?

The Battery Voltage should change very little when connecting and removing bulbs.

Mentor note: the remainder of this post has been removed because members are not permitted to provide near-complete answers to homework. [emoji998]

Thanks so much Jon B. I would just like some clarification as to why removing B1 has a negligible effect on B2 and B3 but yet removing either B2 or B3 has a negligible effect on B1 and the other bulb is no longer lit. Does it have anything to do with how the bulbs are arranged in the circuit ? (B1 is in parallel with B2 and B3, and B2 is in series with B3?)

cvc121 said:
Thanks so much Jon B. I would just like some clarification as to why removing B1 has a negligible effect on B2 and B3 but yet removing either B2 or B3 has a negligible effect on B1 and the other bulb is no longer lit. Does it have anything to do with how the bulbs are arranged in the circuit ? (B1 is in parallel with B2 and B3, and B2 is in series with B3?)
Try to answer my question in post #11

cvc121 said:
It has everything to do with the Battery not being effected by changes in load. Its Voltage will remain relatively constant.

Related to Brightness of Light Bulbs in a Circuit

What is the relationship between voltage and brightness in a light bulb?

The relationship between voltage and brightness in a light bulb is directly proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the brightness of the light bulb also increases.

Why do some light bulbs appear brighter than others?

The brightness of a light bulb depends on several factors such as the wattage, type of filament, and the amount of voltage it receives. Some light bulbs may appear brighter because they have a higher wattage or are designed to emit a brighter light.

Can changing the voltage in a circuit affect the brightness of a light bulb?

Yes, changing the voltage in a circuit can affect the brightness of a light bulb. As mentioned before, the brightness of a light bulb is directly proportional to the voltage it receives. So, increasing or decreasing the voltage can impact the brightness of the light bulb.

Why does the brightness of a light bulb decrease over time?

The brightness of a light bulb decreases over time due to the filament inside the bulb gradually burning out. As the filament gets thinner, it becomes less efficient at producing light, resulting in a decrease in brightness.

What is the difference between incandescent and LED light bulbs in terms of brightness?

LED light bulbs are generally brighter than incandescent light bulbs. This is because they are more energy-efficient and produce less heat, allowing them to use more of the energy to produce light. Additionally, LED light bulbs can be designed to emit a specific level of brightness, whereas incandescent bulbs have a more limited range.