Current from 2.2 Micro F Capacitor

In summary, the conversation involved a question about the maximum current delivered by a 2.2 Micro F capacitor when connected to a North American Outlet with Vrms = 110V and f = 60 hz. The answer provided the formula I = Vmax / XC, where XC = 1 / wC. The correct value for XC is 1.2kohm, leading to a maximum current of 91.2mA. The original poster thanked the respondent and referred to them as a "GEM" for their helpful answer.
cseet
Hi all,
can somebody please advise whether the below answer is correct... or am I on the right path??

Q: What maximum current is delivered by a 2.2 Micro F capacitor when connected to a North American Outlet where Vrms = 110V and f = 60 hz?

my answer:
I = Vmax / XC

XC = 1 / wC
= 1 / 2 pie 60 * (2.2 * 10E-6)
= 8.29 ohm

I = Vmax / XC
= 110 / 8.29
= 13.29 A

Please kindly correct me if I was wrong...
thanks
Cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, except for the calculation of Xc. The formula is correct, but you miscalculated it. Xc should be 1.2kohm, and Imax should be 91.2mA.

Hi Chen,
thanks alot, you're a GEM!
cseet

Related to Current from 2.2 Micro F Capacitor

What is a 2.2 Micro F capacitor?

A 2.2 Micro F capacitor is an electronic component used in circuits to store and release electrical energy. It has a capacitance of 2.2 microfarads, which is a unit of measurement for an object's ability to store an electric charge.

How does a 2.2 Micro F capacitor produce current?

A 2.2 Micro F capacitor can produce current by charging and discharging its stored electric charge. When connected to a circuit, it stores energy in the form of an electric field between its two plates. When the capacitor is discharged, the electric field collapses, releasing the stored energy in the form of an electric current.

What is the role of a 2.2 Micro F capacitor in a circuit?

The role of a 2.2 Micro F capacitor in a circuit is to store and release electric charge. This allows it to regulate the flow of current in a circuit, smoothing out any fluctuations and providing a stable source of energy for other components.

How does the capacitance of a 2.2 Micro F capacitor affect its current output?

The capacitance of a 2.2 Micro F capacitor directly affects its current output. A higher capacitance means that the capacitor can store more charge, resulting in a larger current output when discharged. Similarly, a lower capacitance will result in a smaller current output.

Can a 2.2 Micro F capacitor be used with other components in a circuit?

Yes, a 2.2 Micro F capacitor can be used with other components in a circuit. It is often used in conjunction with resistors, inductors, and other capacitors to create various electronic circuits that perform different functions, such as filters, oscillators, and power supplies.