Coriolis Force Direction with Rotating Ball and Velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the Coriolis force for two different velocities (Va and Vb) in a rotating ball with a given angular velocity ω. The equation for the Coriolis force is mentioned, but it is unsure if the question is complete. The vector product is also mentioned, which can be used to determine the direction of the force vector. The resulting product vectors for both velocities are also provided.
buzzing

Homework Statement

A rotating ball with rotational angular velocity ω= (0,0,ωz) . What is the direction of the coriolis force with the following velocities: Va = (Vx, Vy,0) ; Vb= (Vx, 0,Vz)

Homework Equations

All i know about coriolis force is F= 2m(vχω). The question even doesn't say any angles. So i am not too sure if the question is right.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
buzzing said:
All i know about coriolis force is F= 2m(vχω). The question even doesn't say any angles. So i am not too sure if the question is right.

The Coriolis force is 2m times the vector product v x ω. Recall how to obtain the vector product using coordinates.

ehild

the vector product only gives a multipication of co ordinates but doesn't give the direction though.

The vector product gives the coordinates of the product vector. You can find from the components what angles the force vector enclose with the axes.
Show what you got for the Coriolis force in case of both velocities.

ehild

Last edited:
The two product for each velocity i got is (-WZVy,WzVx,0). and the next one is (0,WzVx,0).

Thanks for replies ehlid!

Related to Coriolis Force Direction with Rotating Ball and Velocities

What is the direction of coriolis force?

The direction of coriolis force is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the axis of rotation.

How does coriolis force affect objects in motion?

Coriolis force causes objects to be deflected to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

Why does coriolis force only affect large-scale objects?

Coriolis force is only noticeable on large-scale objects because the force is proportional to the velocity of the object and the rotation rate of the Earth.

What is the relationship between coriolis force and the Earth's rotation?

Coriolis force is a result of the Earth's rotation. As the Earth rotates, objects on its surface experience a change in velocity, resulting in the coriolis force.

How does coriolis force impact weather patterns?

Coriolis force plays a significant role in the formation and movement of weather patterns. It can cause winds to rotate and influence the direction of storms and hurricanes.