Understanding Coriolis Force in a Rotating Pipe

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of a bullet moving freely inside a rotating pipe. It is determined that the net forces acting on the bullet must not be zero and that there is no radial acceleration. The relevance of Coriolis force is questioned and it is concluded that the only force acting on the bullet is due to the tangential acceleration from the normal force of the pipe wall.
Narahari Narasapur

Homework Statement

upload_2016-6-28_1-20-15.png

Homework Equations

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/1a061d2667e5d9f69dc385e359e7260a3eb1deff
https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/ba88069934aa8abb2a2466f84121f385e6e8971f

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved equation for r(t) and i have arrived at:
upload_2016-6-28_1-19-22.png

Since the Bullet is moving freely the net forces acting on the bullet must be zero.
Radial component of the force is obviously zero since both Radial acceleration and centripetal acceleration are same and acting in opposite direction. In the tangential acceleration radial acceleration is zero since the pipe is rotating at constant speed.

But i am not understanding how coriolis force is becoming zero in tangential component.
Rather i am unable to find reason why coriolis force is zero!

Any insight into these concepts will be really helpful!
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-28_1-19-8.png
    upload_2016-6-28_1-19-8.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Narahari Narasapur said:
Since the Bullet is moving freely the net forces acting on the bullet must be zero.
I don't think that's what the question means. The bullet must be accelerating in order to stay within the rotating pipe, so the net force on it cannot be zero. Rather, I suggest it means that there is no radial force on the bullet.
Narahari Narasapur said:
Radial acceleration and centripetal acceleration are same and acting in opposite direction
No, they really are the same, i.e. two terms for the same thing, except that some people reserve the term centripetal for the case of constant radius. Note that "radial acceleration" means acceleration in the radial direction. It does not mean ##\ddot r##.
Narahari Narasapur said:
In the tangential acceleration radial acceleration is zero
I don't know what you mean by radial acceleration in the tangential acceleration.

haruspex said:
I don't think that's what the question means. The bullet must be accelerating in order to stay within the rotating pipe, so the net force on it cannot be zero. Rather, I suggest it means that there is no radial force on the bullet.

No, they really are the same, i.e. two terms for the same thing, except that some people reserve the term centripetal for the case of constant radius. Note that "radial acceleration" means acceleration in the radial direction. It does not mean ##\ddot r##.

I don't know what you mean by radial acceleration in the tangential acceleration.
Thank you so much for your reply!
So do you suggest that, if the bullet is moving freely then it will not have radial acceleration. However, since the bullet must remain inside the pipe, net force cannot be zero. Hence Coriolis Acceleration exists?
I am looking at this acceleration equation here:
upload_2016-6-28_13-38-25.png

And also about the velocity of the bullet, i have solved for r(t) (Position).
upload_2016-6-28_13-42-40.png

Now, In case bullet is moving freely, the velocity of the bullet will have both tangential and radial component right?

Narahari Narasapur said:
Thank you so much for your reply!
So do you suggest that, if the bullet is moving freely then it will not have radial acceleration. However, since the bullet must remain inside the pipe, net force cannot be zero. Hence Coriolis Acceleration exists?
I am looking at this acceleration equation here:
View attachment 102579

And also about the velocity of the bullet, i have solved for r(t) (Position).
View attachment 102580
Now, In case bullet is moving freely, the velocity of the bullet will have both tangential and radial component right?
You don't say how you obtained the equation for r(t). I would have thought it was by setting the radial acceleration to zero in the acceleration equation above. (There appears to be a typo in your r(t) equation. The exponents in the denominator should be ##\dot\phi T##, not ##\phi T##.). So I'm puzzled that you are questioning whether the radial acceleration is zero.

Not sure why you think Coriolis is relevant. As with centrifugal acceleration, that is a fictitious acceleration arising from the use of non-inertial frames. There is a tangential acceleration from the normal force from the pipe wall.

haruspex said:
You don't say how you obtained the equation for r(t). I would have thought it was by setting the radial acceleration to zero in the acceleration equation above. (There appears to be a typo in your r(t) equation. The exponents in the denominator should be ##\dot\phi T##, not ##\phi T##.). So I'm puzzled that you are questioning whether the radial acceleration is zero.

Not sure why you think Coriolis is relevant. As with centrifugal acceleration, that is a fictitious acceleration arising from the use of non-inertial frames. There is a tangential acceleration from the normal force from the pipe wall.
haruspex said:

You are right! I calculated r(t) by setting radial acceleration to zero. Sorry for not mentioning that.. And I took screenshot of my r(t) equation! So
haruspex said:

Yes you are right! I got equation for r(t) by setting radial acceleration zero and also it is phi dot T. It's not visible in the screenshot. My bad :)

So the force acting on the bullet would be due to the tangential acceleration from the normal force from the pipe wall. That's the only force i have to mention. Right?
Can i say this the tangential acceleration is:
upload_2016-6-28_16-53-53.png

Narahari Narasapur said:
You are right! I calculated r(t) by setting radial acceleration to zero. Sorry for not mentioning that.. And I took screenshot of my r(t) equation! SoYes you are right! I got equation for r(t) by setting radial acceleration zero and also it is phi dot T. It's not visible in the screenshot. My bad :)

So the force acting on the bullet would be due to the tangential acceleration from the normal force from the pipe wall. That's the only force i have to mention. Right?
Can i say this the tangential acceleration is:
View attachment 102592
Yes, but you can substitute in r(t), and you are told something about ##\dot\phi##.

That's clear now:)! Thank you haruspex for your suggestions!

Related to Understanding Coriolis Force in a Rotating Pipe

1. What is Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving in a rotating frame of reference. It is caused by the rotation of the Earth and affects the trajectory of moving objects.

2. How does Coriolis force affect objects in a rotating pipe?

In a rotating pipe, the Coriolis force acts on the fluid particles as they move through the pipe, causing them to experience a deflection to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This deflection is known as the Coriolis effect.

3. What factors influence the strength of Coriolis force in a rotating pipe?

The strength of Coriolis force in a rotating pipe is influenced by the velocity of the fluid, the rotation rate of the pipe, and the latitude at which the pipe is located. As these factors increase, so does the strength of the Coriolis force.

4. How does understanding Coriolis force in a rotating pipe benefit us?

Understanding Coriolis force in a rotating pipe is important for many practical applications, such as predicting the path of ocean currents and weather patterns, designing efficient oil drilling operations, and developing accurate navigation systems.

5. Can Coriolis force be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Coriolis force can be observed in everyday life. For instance, it is responsible for the direction of rotation of hurricanes and the rotation of water draining from a sink or bathtub in different hemispheres. It also affects the flight paths of airplanes and the movement of projectiles.