What is the direction of the Coriolis force in various scenarios at the equator?

In summary, the Coriolis force follows a right hand rule and causes a deflection for an observer moving with the Earth. For a jet going north over the equator, the force is pointed east. For a rocket going up at the equator, there is no force. For a pendulum at the equator viewed from above, there is also no force. For a rocket going up at the south pole, the force is pointed east. The teacher's answers for the first two problems were none and west, respectively, and they did not cover the last two problems. However, it was agreed that the last two problems also have no force.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

4) Find the direction does the Coriolis force in the following case
a) a jet going north over the equator;
b) a rocket going up at the equator;
c) a pendulum at the equator viewed from above (please give the rotational direction.)
d) a rocket going up at the south pole. (zero)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ive been doing some reading on it and this is what i came up with. I read that the force follows a right hand rule so i hope I am understanding it correctly.
a) the force is pointed east.
b) no force
c) no force
d)the force is pointed east.

for a) and d), i think i have them in the correct direction or in the opposite direction.
for b) and c) there is no force on the equator, right? so the force would be in no direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get a rough idea, bear in mind that the effect of this perceived force is to deflect the motion as perceived by an observer moving with the Earth. E.g. for a rocket going straight up at a pole, why would the spin of the Earth make it look like it was doing something else?

That said, you have to be careful in some cases. There may be a deflection if watched over time, but at the precise location specified little or none. It's a bit like asking whether a stone dropped from rest is moving - well, no, it isn't immediately, but it very soon will be.
To be completely sure, apply the equations at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect#Rotating_sphere

i don't know why i didnt get the email notifying me that you replied...

all of us in class where really struggling with this so the teacher took the whole class period to cover coriolis effect. thanks for replying though!

nmsurobert said:
i don't know why i didnt get the email notifying me that you replied...

all of us in class where really struggling with this so the teacher took the whole class period to cover coriolis effect. thanks for replying though!
Thanks for the update. For the record, I get
a) None
b) W
c) None
d) None
Would you mind posting the teacher's answers, if different?

sure.
1. none
2. west

she didnt go over the last two problems though. she had a new set of problems today that included the first two only. but if my understanding is correct then i agree with you on the last two being none.

nmsurobert said:
sure.
1. none
2. west

she didnt go over the last two problems though. she had a new set of problems today that included the first two only. but if my understanding is correct then i agree with you on the last two being none.
Thanks!

no, thank you sir!

Related to What is the direction of the Coriolis force in various scenarios at the equator?

1. What is the Coriolis force direction?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving in a rotating reference frame, such as Earth. It causes these objects to curve to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere.

2. How does the Coriolis force affect weather patterns?

The Coriolis force plays a crucial role in the formation and movement of weather patterns, such as hurricanes and cyclones. It causes air to rotate counterclockwise in low-pressure systems in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

3. Does the Coriolis force affect the trajectory of moving objects?

Yes, the Coriolis force affects the trajectory of moving objects, such as airplanes and missiles. In the northern hemisphere, these objects will appear to veer to the right of their intended path, while in the southern hemisphere, they will veer to the left.

4. How does the Coriolis force impact ocean currents?

The Coriolis force also influences the direction of ocean currents. In the northern hemisphere, ocean currents veer to the right, while in the southern hemisphere, they veer to the left. This can lead to the formation of gyres, large circular patterns of water movement in the ocean.

5. Can the Coriolis force be observed in everyday life?

While the Coriolis force is not directly observable, its effects can be seen in natural phenomena and even in simple experiments, such as the rotation of a spinning top. It is also an important concept in meteorology and oceanography, helping scientists understand and predict weather patterns and ocean currents.